• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cribbage's Standardised Test Averages (UPDATED November 2018 - posts 753-755)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
184 @ 19.51 not too shabby.

Curious to see what your 'peak' analysis reveals about others to see how many come close or better than this. Half of Waqar's wickets came in this period. Such a gun.
Waqar and Botham are the same in my opinion.Their careers were in two parts.The time when they were brilliant and then the ridiculous number of years when they picked on reputation which made their remarkable stats suffer because the selectors had stupid hopes that they could rekindle former glories.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Biggest Winners

Code:
[B]		Wts	Avg	St Avg	Perc[/B]

I Sharma	76	37.41	30.61	81.82
DJ Bravo	83	39.40	32.83	83.32
M Dillon	131	33.57	28.55	85.05
Mohammad Asif	106	24.37	20.99	86.13
WJ O'Reilly	144	22.60	19.65	86.95
CL Vincent	84	31.32	27.35	87.32
Shakib Al Hasan	75	32.13	28.17	87.68
A Flintoff	226	32.79	28.88	88.08
Mohammad Sami	84	50.74	44.91	88.51
JE Taylor	82	35.65	31.69	88.89

Biggest Losers

Code:
[B]		Wts	Avg	St Avg	Perc
[/B]
GA Lohmann	112	10.76	16.97	157.71
FR Spofforth	94	18.41	26.60	144.49
GE Palmer	78	21.51	30.82	143.28
R Peel		101	16.98	23.20	136.63
J Briggs	118	17.75	23.76	133.86
JV Saunders	79	22.73	29.11	128.07
A Cotter	89	28.64	36.54	127.58
G Giffen	103	27.10	34.56	127.53
MA Noble	121	25.00	31.39	125.56
WW Armstrong	87	33.60	41.93	124.79
Lol'n at Lohmann being the hardest hit and still having the best average. :p

Athlai

Not Terrible
Waqar and Botham are the same in my opinion.Their careers were in two parts.The time when they were brilliant and then the ridiculous number of years when they picked on reputation which made their remarkable stats suffer because the selectors had stupid hopes that they could rekindle former glories.
I really need to learn more about Botham, I know of his peak but I haven't read about it much at all.

Howe_zat

Audio File
To a certain extent, that happens to almost every great cricketer. Look at Dravid and Ponting. It's a sign of a truly remarkable player to keep a world-class standard over their whole career.

Oh and I expect Matthew Hayden to lose at least 10 points.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To a certain extent, that happens to almost every great cricketer. Look at Dravid and Ponting. It's a sign of a truly remarkable player to keep a world-class standard over their whole career.

Yeah but those two were being wheeled out when they were way past their best,even more than most.Dravid is having a great year and Ponting while on a downward curve is still averaging well over 40 in the last couple of years which in itself isn't too shabby,it just appears worse for him as he was so good for so long.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Goes down to 44, so 6 points or so. I remember him going down a few more when I experimented just leaving B/Z out completely though.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Lol, No.

Botham was an ATG bowler and a very good batsman for a period of time and then went on to become a **** cricketer and his statistics reflect that, He has statistics good enough to be an ATG in the league of Kapil but not in the league of sustained excellence such as Imran and Miller.

Waqar was beyond-ATG bowler and then went on to become a bowler of the quality of say, Jason Gillespie for five more years and then in the last three years of his career was a bowler who still averaged 29 and struck at around 50 which is extremely good, still. His bowling record is up there with the very best. It is crazy to say he was picked on reputation alone.

The difference is essentially this:-

Botham was as good as the other legendary all-rounders at their peaks for half-a-decade then completely fell away.

Waqar on the other hand, was insanely good for the half a decade with wpm and SR quite freakish for a pacer and still at an absurd average and then was plainly a good-very good bowler for the rest of his career with the ability of a godly spell out of nowhere. Despite this, His bowling in the half-a-decade was so good that it statistically compensates for him not being a great bowler in the latter part of his career which is not the case with Botham.

shankar

International Debutant
Surprising that Irfan Pathan's average goes down considering that his average is helped considerably by performances against Bangladesh and post-2004 Zim.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Surprising that Irfan Pathan's average goes down considering that his average is helped considerably by performances against Bangladesh and post-2004 Zim.
It's the games against Australia. Australian batsmen averaged something absolutely ridiculous in the 2000-2009 period.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It's inevitable to compare this analysis with the value of wicket analysis I posted a few days back. This analysis values all wickets against a given team during a given period similarly irrespective of whether that was the wicket of a top order or low order batsman. This results in some interesting differences between the outcomes of the two exercises. For example, this analysis punished Wasim Akram less than the other one did. Wasim has a significantly larger % of tail enders in his wickets.

I will be eagerly waiting for the results of batting analysis. Should paint a very accurate picture.

smash84

The Tiger King
The analysis looks great. I will be looking at this in detail a bit later but you seem to have done a super job. Can't imagine the amount of work that must have gone into it. Something similar to what Ankit did a few weeks back.

Keep up the good work.

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
Fantastic work Prince, much appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing the batting table. I want to see how Yousuf and Jaywardene stack up, I think Jayawardene is underrated. Would also be interesting to see Gooch. I rate him for his longevity and the attacks he faced, somehow it annoys me his average is similar to the likes of Bell and Collingwood. Hopefully this should show it.

JBH001

International Regular
Lol, No.

Botham was an ATG bowler and a very good batsman for a period of time and then went on to become a **** cricketer and his statistics reflect that, He has statistics good enough to be an ATG in the league of Kapil but not in the league of sustained excellence such as Imran and Miller.
Disagree wrt Miller. I think him over-rated.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Disagree wrt Miller. I think him over-rated.
Ooh, them's fightin' words.

A man who had the reputation as one of the best opening bowlers in the world, and had the stats to back it up, also batted in the top six of a side dubbed "The Invincibles" and held his own?

Combine that with how, even in a discussion pertaining to all-rounders, he is often left out when talking about all-time great cricketers makes rather an under-rated player.