• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentating Standard thread

smash84

The Tiger King
I was watching some of the SL vs Pak ODI series, and the commentary was appalling to say the least. This Rameez Raza guy is a **** commentator.
On the other hand, Aus vs SA test series on Ten Sports is good on the eyes and the ears. I have never heard the Saffie guys Pollock, Fannie etc commentate and they have been good overall in this series.

The Ind vs WI test series commentary standard is mediocre, though not as bad as SL vs Pak ODI series. Ian Bishop seems to be the saving grace. The break-time show that has Walsh and Manjrekar in it is not bad either.
You must be kidding??

He is probably the best of the lot in the SL-Pak series.

Try listening to Russll Arnold and Sanath Jayasuriya. Just awful

Waqar has been in the commentary box too and seems better than the rest.

Athlai

Not Terrible
You must be kidding??

He is probably the best of the lot in the SL-Pak series.

Try listening to Russll Arnold and Sanath Jayasuriya. Just awful

Waqar has been in the commentary box too and seems better than the rest.
Waqar is one of the best in the world, those other 3 are all trash. Raja the best of a bad bunch though.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Belatedly watching the DVD set from the last Ashes which uses the Australian coverage. Most of the commentators so far are like the cricketing equivalent of the fanzone on SKY's football coverage. As if they've picked up a couple of pissed up fat blokes form the nearest bar and asked them to shout into a mike. Bizarre.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I know Russell was a prick but I don't think Ramiz should have said that to him.

BTW, nice to see that hot chick again, wearing yellow this time. :)

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally I love the English commentators.. One of the reasons I make it a point to watch cricket in England is because of the commentary... David Lloyd, David Gower, Michael Atherton.. Love those guys.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Haters gonna hate. SA has some quality commentators like Johnno (best commentator in the world :D ), Neil Manthorp etc. and from what I've heard of them, Pommie Mbangwa and Shaun Pollock are decent too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Haters gonna hate. SA has some quality commentators like Johnno (best commentator in the world :D ), Neil Manthorp etc. and from what I've heard of them, Pommie Mbangwa and Shaun Pollock are decent too.
Pommie and especially Polly are both top drawer, IMHO. Pollock's particularly good because he combines a keen analytical eye (his analysis on bowlers' actions suggests someone who actually follows & watches the game beyond his professional requirements; quite often when he's not on Jackman refers to Pollock being "in the back of the box", watching for the sheer love of it) with an enthusiasm for the sport that comes across in his commentry.

Very likeable chap too, which obviously helps.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pommie and especially Polly are both top drawer, IMHO. Pollock's particularly good because he combines a keen analytical eye (his analysis on bowlers' actions suggests someone who actually follows & watches the game beyond his professional requirements; quite often when he's not on Jackman refers to Pollock being "in the back of the box", watching for the sheer love of it) with an enthusiasm for the sport that comes across in his commentry.

Very likeable chap too, which obviously helps.
Hopefully Sky can get Pollock in the box later this summer.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Out of the Channel 9 Aussies Mark Taylor's pretty much the only one I have much time for.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I always liked Slats when he commentated for Channel 4. Seems to talk crap whenever I'm watching Channel 9's stuff.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I always liked Slats when he commentated for Channel 4. Seems to talk crap whenever I'm watching Channel 9's stuff.
I always thought this, but then I watched some of the Ashes 2005 DVD the other day, and it seems nostalgia may have got the better of me.