• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentating Standard thread

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Akram, Pollock and Hoggard should be the only guys speaking about fast bowling. I've lost count of the number of times professional commentators mix up terms like inswinger, seaming in, reverse swing and cutter.

Arun Lal, Ranjit Fernando, Slater, Greig and a host of others for some strange reason always think it's an off-cutter when a new ball nips back in. It isn't, you ****s. It's pefectly normal for the ball to jag both ways without any cutting action being performed. :@

I'm surprised that more people don't take exception to such lack of insight on their part. Any young kid watching the game gets all the wrong things in his head. Had to personally cure my 14-yr-old cousin who aspires to be a fast bowler. He learnt the other day from uncle Fernando that everytime an old ball (something that's not brand new) moves in the air, it's reverse swing - no questions asked! :laugh:

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jessica Yates is the commentator who holds my attention for the longest, and she does it with and economy of language.

She's one of the very best.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brad Hodge, by contrast, has a whiny school boy voice completely unsuited to a microphone of any kind.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Ganguly and Ravi Shastri are my favs from the Indian commentators, like Dimon Doull and Nasser Hussain as well. Ian Chappell is good on some days and crap on others.

Tom Moody from the little I heard of him in the few WC games sounded alright too, although can't judge him with just a few games.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Sky team are the best in the business. Michael Holding, Tony Cozier from the Carribbean, Boycott is still fun to listen to, Mark Taylor, Bill Lawry, Ian Chappell..Danny Morrison is quite OK, though does yap a fair bit. Can't stand any of the Asians though I'm pretty sure Anil Kumble would be superb on air, more in the Benaud vein even.

Jacknife

International Captain
Michael Holding is gun, and I love Bob Willis for the rants.

Bring back Jeremy Coney.
Coney does most of the one day games in County cricket for Sky, he comes across as a nice guy and I like what he brings to the table as far as commentating.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I was watching some of the SL vs Pak ODI series, and the commentary was appalling to say the least. This Rameez Raza guy is a **** commentator.

On the other hand, Aus vs SA test series on Ten Sports is good on the eyes and the ears. I have never heard the Saffie guys Pollock, Fannie etc commentate and they have been good overall in this series.

The Ind vs WI test series commentary standard is mediocre, though not as bad as SL vs Pak ODI series. Ian Bishop seems to be the saving grace. The break-time show that has Walsh and Manjrekar in it is not bad either.