• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CMJ's top 100

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
There's only been a small handful of Pakistani batsmen who are especially good against spin (Salim Malik, Younis Khan, Inzamam, Javed, etc.). Plenty of Pakistanis are very weak against spin, even some of those who were excellent against spin.
:laugh: Yeah...

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
There's only been a small handful of Pakistani batsmen who are especially good against spin (Salim Malik, Younis Khan, Inzamam, Javed, etc.). Plenty of Pakistanis are very weak against spin, even some of those who were excellent against seam .
hit the nail on the head. Similar to SL situation as well.Two of the SL's best batsmen ever (Sangakkara and de Silva) prefer playing pace than spin.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
But not overseas?
Even overseas, because these two has lot of time playing pace, particularly de Silva, where I never seen him rushing his shots against quicks. These quicks involved Wasim in his quickest era, Waqar at his peak in early 1990s, Imran, Donald, Ambrose and Akthar. Best Innings of these batsmen came on pace friendly tracks. Sangakkara's 230 against Pakistan was made against a Fully fit Pakistan fast bowling battery led by Akthar who was in rampant form. His recent 192 against AUS of course was made on a featherbed. De Silva's 267 came against NZ on seaming tracks. His 167 against AUS at Brisbane also was made on a track with lot of juice, where de Silva pulled and hooked Huges in to submission.

Smith

Banned
Even overseas, because these two has lot of time playing pace, particularly de Silva, where I never seen him rushing his shots against quicks. These quicks involved Wasim in his quickest era, Waqar at his peak in early 1990s, Imran, Donald, Ambrose and Akthar. Best Innings of these batsmen came on pace friendly tracks. Sangakkara's 230 against Pakistan was made against a Fully fit Pakistan fast bowling battery led by Akthar who was in rampant form. His recent 192 against AUS of course was made on a featherbed. De Silva's 267 came against NZ on seaming tracks. His 167 against AUS at Brisbane also was made on a track with lot of juice, where de Silva pulled and hooked Huges in to submission.
Agreed. But the disparity in their home vs away record is still significant enough

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Compare Murali's record against India and Pakistan with Warne's and have your say. Use only games in the subcontinet of you wish to exclude unfavorable conditions.
With the difference being that Murali's home turf was on subcontientent soil whilst Warne's wasn't.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
With the difference being that Murali's home turf was on subcontientent soil whilst Warne's wasn't.
That's why I asked only to use games against India and Pakistan (who are actually mediocre against spin). And poke your memory that Warne never ripped through an Indian batting line up, where as Murali has done it two or three times.

bagapath

International Captain
indians loved to play warne anywhere anytime. and they hated facing murali anywhere anytime in any form of the game.

ps: i am a warne fan by the way and i am not too comfortable with murali's bowling action. still i dont like it when people twist stats and make it look like one is better than the other, especially when murali comes on top in every angle and they still run him down.

as for the thread's main point i love the fact that CMJ has rated murali at 13. it is a fantastic honor for a fantastic champion. how come a kumble doesnt deserve a spot in top 100 but martin donnely (whoever it is) gets in, that too ahead of rahul dravid, is beyond me, though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hmmm, don't know if the Indians "hated" facing Murali, he still hasn't got the greatest record against them. Still much better than Warne's, obviously.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
That's why I asked only to use games against India and Pakistan (who are actually mediocre against spin). And poke your memory that Warne never ripped through an Indian batting line up, where as Murali has done it two or three times.
Warne's record against India in Australia isn't as bad as Murali's record against Australia in Australia. I say that, because it was probably as equally difficult for Murali to bowl to Australia in Australia as what it was for Warne to bowl to India in Australia. Warne faced India in Australia on debut aswell, which wouldn't of helped his cause.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Warne's record against India in Australia isn't as bad as Murali's record against Australia in Australia. I say that, because it was probably as equally difficult for Murali to bowl to Australia in Australia as what it was for Warne to bowl to India in Australia. Warne faced India in Australia on debut aswell, which wouldn't of helped his cause.
But Australia was where Warne learnt his tricks. So he is expected to do well. This comparison is one of the worst I have ever seen.

You compare Warne at home against India vs Murali away vs Australia. Nice logic.