• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Classic sledges

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah, not with Ice-Hockey being the best sport ever and all that, wish you could deck the crap out of each other like that in field-hockey, would be immense.

This fight is better anyway.
Yea it is - I posted the other one cause it involved the flyers. That was so great, would love to see that in cricket. People would shut the hell up for one.

chicane

State Captain
Nah, not with Ice-Hockey being the best sport ever and all that, wish you could deck the crap out of each other like that in field-hockey, would be immense.

This fight is better anyway.
Haha yes. Get the feeling they are giving half of what they've got to balancing themselves.

If it happened in cricket it will be even more ridiculous. The two batsmen in the middle will murder the entire fielding side.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
There is a code, you don't fight with sticks. You only fight other enforcers. You don't fight at the beginning of the shift because waiting until he is tired is unfair. The refs will allow it in the NHL as long as certain unwritten rules are met.

Sir Alex

Banned
Indeed. Harbhajan's sledge of Symonds, imo, was the beginning of the end of Symonds' career. Not because of what was said, but because of what followed.

An already fragile personality just did not cope with the fall out and it was a slippery slope to oblivion.

Sort of thing I meant about non-offensive is when we were playing last year and the opposition needed about 10 to win, two wickets in hand.

Young bloke batting who'd had a bit to say. Ball goes down leg, flicks his pad. We all go up and he says "Get ****ed". I was at 1st slip and asked what was wrong. He said "you can't appeal for that". I said "mate, we can ask the question"
"Not for that"
"Why don't you just bat and let the unpire, umpire?"
"**** off, I'll shove this bat up your arse"
"Use the bottom so I get a thrill".
He goes down over his bat and just as the bowler is about to run in I said " Don't gas up young fella".
So he stops the bowler, turns to me, points his bat, looks at the umpire and says "he sledged me". Umpire didn't hear anything. Play on.
Next ball, spoons it to cover. We won by eight. Boys happy. To his credit he shook my hand after and admitted I'd got him good.

Sorry it was a bit long-winded.
Interesting anecdote. However such a behaviour from a youngster would've merited a pinch on the ears here.
Also I felt symmo was someone who made the best out of his peak as a cricketer. I always saw him as one in the league of TilDil, hardworking but not excessively gifted, but rose to world reckoning during their peaks. He was always going back to level once it was through, just that the incident was a catalyst.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah no doubt. There seemed a self-destructive side to his character which was in evidence before Sydney.

Debris

International 12th Man
Steve Waugh to Herschelle Gibbs after being dropped is an obvious one.

"You just dropped the World Cup"

although I think Steve Waugh might have confessed that what he actually said was Gibbs just dropped the game.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
This happened when I was playing for the Inter Faculty games in University. Of course the debate was done in my native language.

We were 7 down and I was promoted from No. 10 because spinners were in tandem. Opposition captain was Jehan Mubarak (who played for SL later). A leggie was bowling. Muba came up to short cover and positioned himself and said "Hey, hit the ball right here" showing his cupped hands. The bowler bowled, a loopy leggy, I went down the pitch and hit it inside out pass Muba's head for a four. He had no time to react (when I hit them, they monstrously stay hit, but I am mainly a stubborn defensive batsman). I said to him "Get back to sweeper and protect your ****ing head" Muba lost the plot and my partner launched a fearsome attack on the bowlers to win the game.

Sir Alex

Banned
This happened when I was playing for the Inter Faculty games in University. Of course the debate was done in my native language.

We were 7 down and I was promoted from No. 10 because spinners were in tandem. Opposition captain was Jehan Mubarak (who played for SL later). A leggie was bowling. Muba came up to short cover and positioned himself and said "Hey, hit the ball right here" showing his cupped hands. The bowler bowled, a loopy leggy, I went down the pitch and hit it inside out pass Muba's head for a four. He had no time to react (when I hit them, they monstrously stay hit, but I am mainly a stubborn defensive batsman). I said to him "Get back to sweeper and protect your ****ing head" Muba lost the plot and my partner launched a fearsome attack on the bowlers to win the game.
Seems like he's carried till now :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
SS if I want to watch fighting I'll watch Boxing or MMA not Ice Hockey
Bleh, boxing is boring. MMA is too much ground game. Ice Hockey fights FTW. Hold on to the other guy with one hand to keep from slipping, and wail on him with the other. No defense, just how many punches per second you can land on his face while remaining conscious as he's landing them on yours. Simple awesomeness.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
There's nothing like a good sledge-out. I think I can claim three in my life.

First was staring down the barrel in a game for University 4ths. I'm captain/keeper, it's getting dark and I'm not even allowed to bowl the medium pacers that I stand up to the stumps to. So I resort to asking the guy who's just made 50 whether anyone's ever hit the ball over the fence at the end of the ground, He tells me loads of people have done, so then I asked him if he had - and it transpires he hasn't. So next ball, he tries going over the top, skews it inches over the bowler's grasp and short of mid off. "Never mind, mate," I tell him, "nearly got there. Maybe next time?" Cue a horrific wild swipe at the next ball, a clean-bowled batsman and an Exeter Uni win by a handful of runs.

The next one was rather more basic, and a team effort. Club game last summer on what appeared to be an allotment patch - I batted for an hour for 9 - we were all out for 72 or something, and one particular teenager was full of it. Naturally, ten overs into their runchase, when they were 20 for 6, we were giving him all of his lines (and they were village) back with interest. My personal contribution was a ball-by-ball deconstruction of his technique, stance, footwork and backswing that led to the stumps going walkies before very much longer.

My personal favourite came on Wimbledon finals day three years ago. At a drinks break in the oppo innings, one of their batsmen shouted to the pavilion for the score in the mens' final. I told him that if he was that bothered about the tennis, then he should get himself out and go and watch it, which he didn't seem too fond of as an idea. I then decided to call out tennis scores from midwicket for the remainder of the over. He had a play-and-miss at his first delivery - 0-15 - before getting bat on the second, so I kept my mouth shut. He then collected a lot of fresh air on the next two balls - 15-30; 15-40 - "break point", before obligingly having a heave at a straight one the very next ball to feed me the perfect punchline. "Game, set, match..."

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting anecdote. However such a behaviour from a youngster would've merited a pinch on the ears here.
Also I felt symmo was someone who made the best out of his peak as a cricketer. I always saw him as one in the league of TilDil, hardworking but not excessively gifted, but rose to world reckoning during their peaks. He was always going back to level once it was through, just that the incident was a catalyst.
Think he was the opposite myself, incredibly gifted sportsperson but not as hard-working as he needed to be to fully realise his talents. He played hockey in our area before he switched to cricket (or maybe at the same time) and he was bloody good at that too. He put on a partnership of about 400-odd in a one-day game on the Gold Coast with Mathew Mott when they were both about 16 or 17 if I recall correctly.