• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CA consider Dual Passports.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah exactly. That's the whole point of what's happening in this thread. Robson won't be able to play as a local player in both England in Australia if they go ahead with the proposed changes but he will be able to play as an overseas player in Australia and a local in England, which he can't currently for reasons I'm yet to figure out.
Yeah, it's a bit arse-about-face, isn't it?

Patently a nonsense that UK-born Aussies like Pattinson sr, Mullally and (briefly) Symonds could ply their trade in Oz as overseas players but Oz-born Britsh passport (& Irish, in Hogan's case) holders seemingly can't.

I always thought Harris's brief stint at Sussex ended because QLD wouldn't offer him an overseas contract, now it appears they couldn't.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah exactly. That's the whole point of what's happening in this thread. Robson won't be able to play as a local player in both England in Australia if they go ahead with the proposed changes but he will be able to play as an overseas player in Australia and a local in England, which he can't currently for reasons I'm yet to figure out.
"Can I come back to New South Wales and play Shield cricket?"
"No"
"Why not?"
"Because...how dare you leave Australia, that's why."

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not lost on me that this rule was first reported/confirmed about 2 months ago by Robson Sr, and it's now being changed. NSW should have been lobbying for this change for ages

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's not lost on me that this rule was first reported/confirmed about 2 months ago by Robson Sr, and it's now being changed. NSW should have been lobbying for this change for ages
Yeah I had no idea it is existed until recently. I thought NSW just didn't rate Robson and had decided to be ****s about the Jaques issue.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
We are talking about the county season you utter muppet, not prospective England batsmen. Joyce has been outstanding and Ballance is a very good prospect. Embarrassing post from you.
Lol the likes of you thinking you're something. Come and see me when you've had an original thought **********

91Jmay

International Coach
Lol the likes of you thinking you're something. Come and see me when you've had an original thought **********
:laugh: You must work hard to be as wrong as you are as often as you are. No one was talking about England batsmen, we were talking about the Championship season.

brockley

International Captain
CA to have NSW fast track Robson through Futures cup then state cricket,the age.
No word on the other English based Aussies,but you would think some are a chance too,a real boon and influx of cricketers for the Shield.
Allenby and Hogan would like to see get an opportunity.

Spikey

Changes to Overseas Player definition for Australian domestic competitions

The Board has endorsed changes to the definition of an Overseas Player for Australian domestic competitions. The changes are designed to allow Australian players who have dual passports to play in more than one (ICC full member) domestic competition.

CA wants as many quality cricketers playing in its domestic competitions as possible. These changes will allow Australian players with dual passports to play first-class cricket in more than one country. A number of Australian-qualified cricketers currently playing in ECB competitions in particular are doing so as a local player, meaning if they play in Australia during the summer they need to do so as an overseas player to retain their ECB eligibility.

However, CA’s current overseas player definition prevents someone born in Australia, or holding a valid Australian passport, from qualifying to play here as an overseas player. Changes approved today will ensure state associations and BBL teams will be able recruit Australian players without them having to give up their eligibility to play overseas as a local player. It will remove the burden on these players to choose which domestic competition to play in.
Changes to Overseas Player definition

BoyBrumby

Englishman
However, CA’s current overseas player definition prevents someone born in Australia, or holding a valid Australian passport, from qualifying to play here as an overseas player.
Huh. Until recently Pattinson sr did anyway, didn't he? Unless he's only just acquired an Australian passport, he was playing for Vic under an "overseas" registration and he falls into the "holding a valid Australian passport" category.

If he doesn't hold one how is he now registered as "domestic" anyway?

Of course, as I said, it might simple be he only just bothered to apply for one tho.

Darren, if you're reading this...? :p

Spikey

Huh. Until recently Pattinson sr did anyway, didn't he? Unless he's only just acquired an Australian passport, he was playing for Vic under an "overseas" registration and he falls into the "holding a valid Australian passport" category.
“None of my family have Australian passports, apart from me,” Pattinson, 23, said.

“Not even Darren. My parents came out to Australia 25 or 30 years ago and they’ve still got strong English accents.

Spikey

last time i checked their cricinfo/cric archive pages didnt say. Steel played for Somerset U13s though, so his upbringing is probably different to the norm

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I've always had some sympathy with the old rule. It makes sense on a number of theoretical and emotional levels that an Aus born passport holder shouldn't play as an overseas player. But it never made too much sense given the real world. It isn't exactly comparable and more a comment on how things are not as simple as they once were, my own kids born in SA to an English father and a US mother raised in a variety of countries should be free to pick and choose. I'd love them to play for England and they identify with there but they have never lived there.