• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Buchanan's awful plan

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm aware that there are due processes to go through, and this is quite right - international cricket sans-residence-qualification is a hideous idea.

However, there's no reason someone shouldn't play for one Test-playing team having previously played for another. None at all. Any more than someone shouldn't play for Exeter CC because they've once played for Sanford CC.

My nationality is nothing, AFAIC - I'm a citizen of Earth. I have no more attachment to England or Wales than I do to Morpeth or Exeter. If I wanted to be an American (not that I do) I could become one and this is quite right. Similarly, if I wanted to move to Carlisle tomorrow there would be no process stopping me.
Nothing apart from barricades set up by the citizens of Carlisle as the news spread.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd be strongly against such an idea, and I find it really odd that John Buchanan would even make that sort of suggestion. As Jono has been arguing, cricket is about emotion and passion and if we try to take that away from the game and become money orientated then I'm sure there are thousands, if not millions of fans who would take a lesser interest because the contest, even if it was very good, would mean little.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Part of being a Black Caps supporter is cheering for the underdog and having a good old-fashioned whinge and moan when our side inexplicably disintegrates under the first sign of pressure, while indulging in the few happy moments that appear at the rarest of times.

Such a move as suggested by Buchanan would spell the end of our love affair with the Slack Craps. :(

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think a far better solution would be to help other countries by opening up our development programs etc to them and making it easier for them to implement them in their own country. Obviously though you'd need the right attitude from the administration and its players, something which is probably missing in a lot of places that would benefit from it in the first place.

shortpitched713

International Captain
What would give me the most satisfaction is good competitive cricket. I don't give a crap if its a bunch of Aussies in a uniform that happens to say the word 'India', or 'Bombay Colts' or 'Melbourne Blues'.

I don't care that much about specific cricket- and the more I get into cricket the less I care about one team in particular and more about simply watching exciting, high-quality, and competitive cricket.
I like to see good, competitive cricket as well. However, I find it a lot more enjoyable to watch high quality sports if I'm rooting in favor of a team, and there's never been a better reason than regionalism/nationalism in order to get the emotions going. Basically, sport is a substitute for warfare imo, and its no fun if the war is between Commonwealth Bank and Coke tbh.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Buchanan's plan

Stupid and arrogant..

Australia aren't always going to be the best side especially if anyone not in the test squad is fair game for rival countries..

Craig

World Traveller
I though SS thought highly of Test cricket quite highly given what he has said about ODIs and T20 in the past.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In the words of John Lennon:

Imagine there's no Countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to bat or bowl for
And no Irish Stew

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He also said
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man

Both of which kinda contradict all of what cricket and being a good cricketer is about...

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I like the idea....I'd much prefer if all the patriotic nationalistic stuff was taken out of cricket and it was just two teams competing with no talk of nation vs nation etc.
Strongly disagree. International sport (especially cricket, one of the few sports left where international level still retains any level of significance) is a wonderful outlet for patriotism. As long as it doesn't extend to bigotry or racism, I've got no qualm with it.

Can you tell me, with a straight face, that Team 1 vs. Team 2 would be just as enjoyable as Australia vs. India, 'quality of cricket'* notwithstanding?

*Why notwithstanding? It's entirely subjective, e.g. Cribb's idea and my idea of entertaining, high-quality cricket are poles apart.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Strongly disagree. International sport (especially cricket, one of the few sports left where international level still retains any level of significance) is a wonderful outlet for patriotism. As long as it doesn't extend to bigotry or racism, I've got no qualm with it.

Can you tell me, with a straight face, that Team 1 vs. Team 2 would be just as enjoyable as Australia vs. India, 'quality of cricket'* notwithstanding?

*Why notwithstanding? It's entirely subjective, e.g. Cribb's idea and my idea of entertaining, high-quality cricket are poles apart.
Dont know about that but Shane Warne Playing for India and Tendulkar Playing for Australia doesn't sound that bad to me. ;)

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Dasa said:
Well for me, yeah.
Fair call. Just saying it would lose something for me if it wasn't the best one country could marshall against another's. I'd personally prefer to see a torrid, attritional World Cup Final instead of a technically perfect exhibition with nothing on the line, not even pride.

But each to his own. :)

Craig

World Traveller
You can be proud of where you are from but without being a racist IMO. There is nothing wrong with that like LHC. Anyway how many players would take up that option even with money? Your never going to get the best out of the player who has his own pay packet to take care of and assuming said player would settle in India or England or whereever, it would be a big culture shock for somebody from Australia to go live in India.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You can be proud of where you are from but without being a racist IMO. There is nothing wrong with that like LHC. Anyway how many players would take up that option even with money? Your never going to get the best out of the player who has his own pay packet to take care of and assuming said player would settle in India or England or whereever, it would be a big culture shock for somebody from Australia to go live in India.
When I married and American and moved there my Mum asked me over the phone "but Kevin, would it mean as much to you to win an Olympic medal for the US as for the Great Britain". Now bearing in mind I was in my early-mid 20s and the chances of Olympic glory were less than zero :) , I could still answer honestly that "Yes, it would"

Competing at the highest level and gaining success should be enough motivation.

If I moved to Zimbabwe tomorrow and ended up playing an ODI or 2 then Id give just as much (if not more) effort than if I was playing for England. Im sure most would, as there is the added incentive of giving a big "**** you" to those that doubted them in their home country (eg Caddick, KP etc)

As it is, Olympic Gold and International cricket are but a dream.:)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
When I married and American and moved there my Mum asked me over the phone "but Kevin, would it mean as much to you to win an Olympic medal for the US as for the Great Britain". Now bearing in mind I was in my early-mid 20s and the chances of Olympic glory were less than zero :) , I could still answer honestly that "Yes, it would"

Competing at the highest level and gaining success should be enough motivation.

If I moved to Zimbabwe tomorrow and ended up playing an ODI or 2 then Id give just as much (if not more) effort than if I was playing for England. Im sure most would, as there is the added incentive of giving a big "**** you" to those that doubted them in their home country (eg Caddick, KP etc)

As it is, Olympic Gold and International cricket are but a dream.:)
Haha, with some bribe money properly directed, I'm sure you could get a game or two in.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I still think Buchanan's taking the piss at everyone else's ability to produce quality cricketers