• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendon McCullum

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Hughes's average is so high because of one reason.

1.He has played most of his cricket against weak bowling, except for his test series debut of course.

Wait till he has played 10-15 test matches, that average will drop.
Weak bowling? His played a handful of games in England and apart from that, he averaged over 60 in Aussie domestic cricket against bowlers who would walk into some teams in the world.

Hughes is the sort've batsman who can make runs in the most difficult conditions, against the best bowlers in the world and he also knows how to seriously cash-in against weak opposition. Hence his massive average.

Smith

Banned
Na reckon McCullum is better than Jayawardene comfortably.
Nope. McCullum has hardly kept to M & M type bowlers on minefields. He is a good catcher, but not a great stumper imo. While Jaya is. Yet to see him grassing an easy one really.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nope. McCullum has hardly kept to M & M type bowlers on minefields. He is a good catcher, but not a great stumper imo. While Jaya is. Yet to see him grassing an easy one really.
McCullum is probably the most canny stumper in world cricket mate. Some of his stumpings have been absolutely magical. McCullum has kept to Mendis anyway.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McCullum is possibly the best out-fielder I've seen, probably on a par with Symonds.
Seen him drop a few catches tbh. Dropped a particularly bad one (that ended up costing the Kiwis) off Broad in the tests in England last year.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm not catergorically stating that McCullum is or isn't the best in the world, just from what I have seen, he has been the most impressive.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Can't say I agree either. I'd rank Gibbs, De Villiers, Symonds and Collingwood ahead of McCullum from what I've seen. McCullum has been very good in the field in this competition though, been electric for NZ.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah McCullum is probaly one of the best fielders in the world. Too bad he is also the best keeper so he can't do both.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Since Gilly's arrival on the stage, people assume every WK can bat like a bastard but it's a tough job.
I don't think they do really. Gilchrist is exceptionally unlikely ever to be matched, never mind bettered. And I'd hope most people realise that. Even the likes of Alec Stewart, Denis Lindsay, Les Ames, Jeff Dujon (genuine Test-class batsmen and good wicketkeepers) are an extreme rarity.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Na reckon McCullum is better than Jayawardene comfortably.
If he is better - and that's certainly not impossible - it's not a comfortably case.

McCullum still makes the odd too many ridiculous error for my liking. He's quite the Jack Russell. For all his regular brilliance, he makes occasional basic errors that you just cannot excuse.

Athlai

Not Terrible
If he is better - and that's certainly not impossible - it's not a comfortably case.

McCullum still makes the odd too many ridiculous error for my liking. He's quite the Jack Russell. For all his regular brilliance, he makes occasional basic errors that you just cannot excuse.
Reckon too much is made of his basic errors, certainly I've seen Jayawadene put down just as many as Baz.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Weak bowling? His played a handful of games in England and apart from that, he averaged over 60 in Aussie domestic cricket against bowlers who would walk into some teams in the world.
Brett Geeves, Ben Drew, Jason Krejza, Chris Swan, Chris Simpson, Daniel Christian, Daniel Cullen?

No.

Unless by "some teams in the world" you mean various English club second XIs, because those are the only types such bowlers would be good enough to walk into.