• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendon McCullum

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This coming from the guy who thinks Tendulkar is better then Bradman. Bias personified. :laugh:
Actually it isn't. Misinformation based on some amount of lack of historical understanding? Maybe. But bias, no.

And BTW, he isn't an Indian. Apparently his name's Steve - you don't generally get Indians going by that name. And what a silly method to use to jump to conclusions - an avatar. :laugh:

Flem274*

123/5
Well that was a fun look back. Howsie got his Hughes call, and Straw Man probably made the most agreeable Baz post.

Nothing beats this though. I'm not even sure what Affly is trying to say here.
Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree. Isn't like they are saying if Tendulkar was around during Bradman's time (and grew up in that era, not current Tendy) he'd be averaging 101 or anything.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
I am not too sure what Athlai is trying to say either. It is very hard to compare sportsmen from different eras. Cricket was a very different game when Bradman was playing. Fielders would clap or raise their caps to the ball as it passed them on its way to the boundary!

Athlai

Not Terrible
I was and still am of the opinion that the modern player is significantly better to the classic player. My argument there was Tendulkar of today is a better batsman than Bradman of yesteryear. Sportsmen across all sports get better overtime, compare a runner of today to a runner of 100 years ago. It's no contest.

However as jonbrooks said there, you can't compare sportsmen from different eras. If Bradman had been born in the current era and had all the training and spreadsheetz that Sachin had access too, he would very likely still stand head and shoulders about the current field. But taking him in his raw state of when he actually dominated I argue that the modern player is better.

Bradman is just an incredible outlier though, he was so far above the grade at the time that he might still prove superior to the players of today. I doubt there is any figure in popular sport who has ever been that much better than his peers.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The best thing about this innings from McCullum is that there in the team to watch it has been 21yo Tom Latham, and 23yos Corey Anderson, Jimmy Neesham and Kane Williamson

Whether those players make it or not, there's a huge degree of confidence in the team and your own capabilities when you see a senior team member do this. There's no reason why these guys can't pull off similar feats.