• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendon McCullum to retire after upcoming Australia series

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't feel like writing a tribute to him yet while he still has games left to play. One last chapter to write. I take it he is in the Chappell hadlee series.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Also won't write a lot while he has games to play but I will say he is/was the most entertaining sportsman I've ever watched from New Zealand.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A top T20 player who remained loyal to the long format - has enormous respect from me for that alone

manishsqrt

Cricket Spectator
He is just 34, i don't understand what made him to decide retirement so early. He is a great player every body will miss him a lot. We cannot forget his bang bang batting and awesome keeping skills. I think we can rate him better keeper then moin or gilchrist sometimes. Its very upsetting to hear that we will not see him playing anymore.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It's been a career with so many phases, so many roles in the team, with huge amounts of worthy praise and at other times valid criticisms heaped on him, that I'm not going to take it on myself to write a tribute right now either. I will say though that what he's done in the last three years for NZ cricket overshadows any disappointments from the past. He's become a talisman - someone that people believe in, and even if they believe in him for no other reason than other people believing in him, that's enough. While he's not the only person responsible for it, he leaves NZ cricket in a vastly better state than it's been for a decade, if not three.

I wish he'd stick around another year or two but he's made his decision. Hope he can finish on a high.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
I think his enduring legacy for me is he showed the way that you can be a winner on the field and still be nice and be classy to the opponents apart from his crazy batting. Hope KW can carry that legacy forward

No great loss to cricket as a whole as he is a bit too big for his boots. He (and the fans) need some perspective, he is no all time great and let's remember he played for NZ! The fact that he will be a great loss to the NZ side probably says it all about where they sit in the who cares department of world cricket.

indiaholic

International Captain
No great loss to cricket as a whole as he is a bit too big for his boots. He (and the fans) need some perspective, he is no all time great and let's remember he played for NZ! The fact that he will be a great loss to the NZ side probably says it all about where they sit in the who cares department of world cricket.
**** off.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Kane named as captain of the world t20 team. They didn't say if he will be the permanent captain but they might as well have.

If Ross is boss retires anytime soon then nz cricket could be in a spot of bother ( rebuilding phase ).

I have a suspicion that new Zealand's next patch of world class cricketers are all 3-4 years away unless we rush them in early.

I will be very interested to see how the nz under 19s travel it could be one of our better crops. They can't arrive on the scene soon enough.

In terms of replacing Brendon and who gets his spot. The contenders themselves will decide that over the course of the plunket season. Two front runners being Anderson and young.

Don't go anywhere Ross.

Athlai

Not Terrible
**** off.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Everybody seems to be obsessed with "timing their retirement right" these days. Thought Smith, Kallis, Sangakkara, Johnson all had some cricket left in them. Kallis scored a hundred in his last game FFS.

McCullum will be greatly missed.

Only when they're ****ing stupid.

Now **** off.

Let's get one thing straight, you don't tell me what to do. Secondly, the fact that you respond to someone who doesn't share you opinion with nothing but profanity just shows the level of intellect you operate at. A clear sign that the person who's opinion is not worth listening to is actually you. Get back to me when you learn to discuss things in a civil manor.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Let's get one thing straight, you don't tell me what to do. Secondly, the fact that you respond to someone who doesn't share you opinion with nothing but profanity just shows the level of intellect you operate at. A clear sign that the person who's opinion is not worth listening to is actually you. Get back to me when you learn to discuss things in a civil manor.
A manor is a house. You should edit your comment so you can get two things straight.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Don't know why you're even bothering to argue. 1: they're a troll and 2: they'll be banned soon enough.