• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BREAKING NEWS:::: SHOIAB and ASIF ban Lifted!!!!!!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
crap yo, i hope Akhtar/Asif ban reversal don't get reversed, they MUST PLAY AGAIN so that Pakistan can have this team in the WC:

Hafeez/Farhat
Malik
Younis
Mo Yo
Inzi
Akmal
Afridi
Razzaq
Akhtar
Gul/Naved
Asif

Yea, now thats what i'm talking about..

Dravid

International Captain
aussie said:
crap yo, i hope Akhtar/Asif ban reversal don't get reversed, they MUST PLAY AGAIN so that Pakistan can have this team in the WC:

Hafeez/Farhat
Malik
Younis
Mo Yo
Inzi
Akmal
Afridi
Razzaq
Akhtar
Gul/Naved
Asif

Yea, now thats what i'm talking about..
Nah dogg you gotta understand. Dem cheaters can't be playin for Pakistan, you feelin me? It's all good dat Pakistan is gon be a strong side and **** but if dem cheaters help dem win da world cup, den im sure someone will be like nah you cheaters can take dis world cup.

You feelin me son? Asif and Akthar aint nothin but cheaters and dey shouldn't be allowed to play. Plus mah boys Gul n Naved, they both good too. N dis way da youngsters get a chance too, you know what im sayin.

Igh holla back.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Nah dawg, i for one ain't gonna be saying cheaters helped the Pakistan win the WC if they manage to do so.

As i said earlier mate i was bored enough to read out the whole verdict the other day (even thought some parts were a bit confusing) and based on that its fair to say that they are innocent, so to call them cheats is out of order IMO.

Gul & Naved maybe good without doubt yo, but without Akhtar/Asif Pakistan's attack lacks the spark & cutting edge required to roll teams over, even you or other Pakistan fans can't deny that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dasa said:
I meant the ICC is hardly in the business of making stands on any issue when what might be loosely termed "morality" comes into conflict with what seems to be their main function of making money. I'm not for one instant comparing the situation in Zimbabwe to Asif & Ahktar failing a drugs test in terms of magnitude, but if the ICC will happily turn a blind eye there I would seriously doubt them making a stand here.

Obviously there's quite a lot of potential for it to blow up in their faces too. I think after the Hair ball-tampering debacle at the 4th test over here it's fairly apparent there are some quite militant forces in or around the Pakistan team who would presumably not welcome outside interference in what they may see as an internal matter.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
you're done with the rap crap talk i'm hoping?

In any case, by suggesting that the must be allowed to play again just so Pakistan can have a strong WC team is farcical aussie. They did the crime and they should be doing the time!

I for 1, am pleased that someone (WADA, do they even have any jurastiction?) has stood up and are trying to intervene to make sure that these drug cheats are punished fairly.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Clapo said:
you're done with the rap crap talk i'm hoping?.
Its how i talk mate, got a problem?

[/QUOTE]In any case, by suggesting that the must be allowed to play again just so Pakistan can have a strong WC team is farcical aussie. They did the crime and they should be doing the time!

I for 1, am pleased that someone (WADA, do they even have any jurastiction?) has stood up and are trying to intervene to make sure that these drug cheats are punished fairly.[/QUOTE]

Read the bloody report mayn before you jump out calling them cheats. You blokes are getting worked up over this thing for nothing, gonna get greys before your time. Cricket fans should be glad to see them back AFAIC..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
aussie said:
Read the bloody report mayn before you jump out calling them cheats. You blokes are getting worked up over this thing for nothing, gonna get greys before your time. Cricket fans should be glad to see them back AFAIC..
I doubt anyone would dispute they're both very fine bowlers; Asif shaping up to be the best Fast medium bowler since McGrath IMHO. Equally I'd doubt anyone would dispute Warne is a fine bowler, Maradona was a fine footballer or Ben Johnson was a fine sprinter. Talent doesn't given anyone carte blanche to ignore the doping procedures tho.

Johnners

was more referring to the use of the words "dem, dat, dis, da, den, mah"

They are drug cheats, be it due to ignorance or not, just the same as Shane Warne. The fact that their bans have been overturned because of a technicality doesn't mean that they DIDN'T take the steriods.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Rajeev said:
Ball tampering - 2 match ban
Pitch tampering - 5 match ban
Picking the ball from the ground and appealing for a catch - 10 match ban

Saving your players from the ICC for dope abuse - Priceless

There are some things cameras will catch. For everything else, there's PCB
Brilliant!!!:laugh: :laugh: But surely its time the ICC took charge of punishments for drug taking like they do for everything else - of course its ridiculous they've got off, but I don't think the ECB. CA or anybody else would do anything different. Do you remeber Phil Tuffnell missing a drugs test in 1997 and the ECB handing out a suspended sentence? Just to prove how ludicous self-regulation is, imagine if the PCB had to punish Inzy for that hoo-ha at the Oval.

Scaly piscine

Poker Boy said:
Brilliant!!!:laugh: :laugh: But surely its time the ICC took charge of punishments for drug taking like they do for everything else - of course its ridiculous they've got off, but I don't think the ECB. CA or anybody else would do anything different. Do you remeber Phil Tuffnell missing a drugs test in 1997 and the ECB handing out a suspended sentence? Just to prove how ludicous self-regulation is, imagine if the PCB had to punish Inzy for that hoo-ha at the Oval.
No only in Pakistan would they catch someone bang to rights then have an appeal that gets them off by citing ignorance.

social

BoyBrumby said:
I doubt anyone would dispute they're both very fine bowlers; Asif shaping up to be the best Fast medium bowler since McGrath IMHO. Equally I'd doubt anyone would dispute Warne is a fine bowler, Maradona was a fine footballer or Ben Johnson was a fine sprinter. Talent doesn't given anyone carte blanche to ignore the doping procedures tho.
Right on the money

I'm on record here as saying that I've no problem with Warne having been banned for life as a result of his multitude of indiscretions

The fact that these guys are admitted drug cheats (n.b. that they have never disputed the fact that they took drugs) and have got off with minimal inconvenience to themselves is sickening.

Hopefully, administrations or sponsors or opposing teams or fans will stand up and say "we're not putting up with it" and make their positions untenable.

Until such time, any result Pak achieves with them in their side is without merit or honour IMO

mohammad16

U19 Captain
social said:
Right on the money

I'm on record here as saying that I've no problem with Warne having been banned for life as a result of his multitude of indiscretions

The fact that these guys are admitted drug cheats (n.b. that they have never disputed the fact that they took drugs) and have got off with minimal inconvenience to themselves is sickening.

Hopefully, administrations or sponsors or opposing teams or fans will stand up and say "we're not putting up with it" and make their positions untenable.

Until such time, any result Pak achieves with them in their side is without merit or honour IMO
they did claim they never took drugs in 2 interviews atleast
now if they werent able to proove that in court is a diff matter
the fact is, once the substance shows up in ur bloodstream, its very difficult to goto court and say i didnt take drugs at all
cuz no one woudl beleive that

so instead the accused focuses on a diff strategy, eg shoaib and asif focusing onthe fact they had no know about the substances

they didnt say it out right in court
but they did deny ever taking drugs in thier public interviews

shortpitched713

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
I meant the ICC is hardly in the business of making stands on any issue when what might be loosely termed "morality" comes into conflict with what seems to be their main function of making money. I'm not for one instant comparing the situation in Zimbabwe to Asif & Ahktar failing a drugs test in terms of magnitude, but if the ICC will happily turn a blind eye there I would seriously doubt them making a stand here.
Spot on.

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Most of the posts on this thread are just emotional rhetoric. Now I dunno why that is so. Either because two PAKISTANI players have been acquitted or maybe because Pakistan is again a contender to win the World Cup.

Both of them were not given any education whatsoever on this issue by the PCB or ICC. The steriod is readily found in diet supplements and protein powder. Generally, it is masked with some other name. So how it be known whether the drug was taken knowingly or not? ATP cleared seven of its players after it failed to establish whether the use of nandrolone was on purpose or no. Forgot what happened to Rusedski?

Warne was banned because he used a masking agent for some steroid. Now he hasn't been tested after that. Maybe he is still on steriods? Who knows...

I did not want to say that. But negative speculation doesn't ever look good does it? I wasn't serious when I said that. Point is there is considerable doubt in that statement as there is in Asif n Shoaib's case. They deserve to be acquitted. I give the PCB full marks for doing the job transparently. Both the tribunals criticised the PCB for its procedures but the chairman did not influence that. He did not try to deflect criticism which has been done many times in the past in Pakistan - hardly any cricketing committee set in Pakistan has been totally independant, so I give PCB full credit.

Most people just dont seem to understand the background of this case and are just jumping the gun to soon. Too bad, because both of the cricketers are now free to play and rightly so. And if we field a full strength XI, then we could be strong contenders to go to the finals, and the expense of some other teams. Sweet..