• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breaking News - Hair reinstated to elite panel

Lostman

State Captain
Yeah never myself have been convinced at all that Hair is racist, his musings about his childhood have been enough to convince me otherwise. Can understand Pakistan and Sri Lanka's distrust of him 100% and as I've said about 100 times now hope he never Umpires those 2 teams again, but very much doubt it's due to racist leanings.
He has been umpiring SL games since 00-01ish. Dont know why people still have the idea that he hasnt been umpiring Sri Lankan games or that he is a good umpire. And i really dont care what anyone says but that guy is nothing more than a bigot. I was disgusted to watch him umpire in SL games with his superiority complex, turned down almost all of Murali's appeal and acted annoyed whenever a SL bowler appealed.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't think Inzy particularly got his reputation battered TBH, maybe in Australia, but by-and-large over here everyone thought he'd acted pretty courageously, most people were behind him that I spoke to (bar a few old-timer :nono: types) and the reception would probably have been even better if the ECB had got their bloody PA system in order and informed everyone what was going on.

Certainly in Pakistan he became a hero.

And as for the PCB getting their reputation battered - that's a weekly occurrance, no?
You must move in some uniquely odd circles...what am I saying? Of course you do.

I think most English cricket fans thought that Hair has a buffoon to deduct the 5 runs & Pakistan had every right to be agrieved, but that their non-appearance after tea pretty much pissed away an ocean's worth of sympathy.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Most harshly treated man in international cricket for quite some time IMO.

Great umpire and I am glad he is back. We won't have as many rubbish decisions once he is back standing.
I think you have selective amnesia. He was 60% responsible for the Oval fiasco. Most disgraceful bit of umpiring ever!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You must move in some uniquely odd circles...what am I saying? Of course you do.
Yes, but none of these are cricket-related ones.
I think most English cricket fans thought that Hair has a buffoon to deduct the 5 runs & Pakistan had every right to be agrieved, but that their non-appearance after tea pretty much pissed away an ocean's worth of sympathy.
Where do you deduct this think from?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He has been umpiring SL games since 00-01ish. Dont know why people still have the idea that he hasnt been umpiring Sri Lankan games.
:huh: Where did anyone say he hadn't?
And i really dont care what anyone says but that guy is nothing more than a bigot. I was disgusted to watch him umpire in SL games with his superiority complex, turned down almost all of Murali's appeal and acted annoyed whenever a SL bowler appealed.
Well, TBF he'd be far from the only one to be annoyed at teams, especially SL, over-appealing. Over-appealing doesn't annoy me as much as it seems to annoy some, but it is unneccessary and it would be preferable if some teams did it less. And the Sri Lankans do, in my experience, tend to be guilty of it more regularly than anyone else, though perhaps given they have a better spinner who bowls more often than those of other teams this is not entirely surprising nor reproachable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
People also forget that he was convicted of bringing the game into disrepute in the nineties after his comments on Muralitharan, but CA decided not to punish him (unlike Inzy, who was banned a decade later for the Oval incidents for bringing the game into disrepute - which he should have been certainly).

So he escaped punishment then, and got 18 months of free checks while he sat at his house, and now gets to umpire again. I wish I could do that.
At the very least you must remember I$C$C warned him for bringing the game into disrepute? (As they did, rightly - it was very poor form to write that book while still on the international Umpires panel)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course I don't, I wasn't around at the time. This was during The Great Absence of May - December '06 (though I did read, later on, a bit of the CW forum view via Matt Pitt's vox-pup).

I did still watch and read of cricket at the time, however and there was plenty of support for Inzamam in the press at large.

Fusion

Global Moderator
What people said on here at the time. I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I don't recall too many English voices raised in approval of what Pakistan did.

& no, you don't count.
I don't know about the general English public, but many English cricket greats supported Pakistan. From the top of my head, that list includes Botham, Hussain, and Bird. Hussain even went as far as to say if he was in a similar situation, he too would've done exactly what Inzi did.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't know about the general English public, but many English cricket greats supported Pakistan. From the top of my head, that list includes Botham, Hussain, and Bird.
Strictly speaking, Harold isn't actually an English cricket great, as being an Umpire he wasn't representing England when he was doing the job he did so brilliantly.

On the other hand, he is a cricketing great, and he is from England, so I suppose he just about qualifies. :p

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Last edited:

Lostman

State Captain
Actually, I read an article in the paper this morning (will try and find a link), where Ranatunga, of all people, was apparently backing the reinstatement of Hair... :mellow:

EDIT: Well, I guess it isn't backing him, but I was rather surprised that he didn't have a go at the decision.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23411138-5001023,00.html
from cricinfo:
"I am on the ICC now ... I am not the same guy who would speak out on something like this issue. We agreed the ICC president would discuss this. I cannot comment."
A reformed Arjuna Ranatunga refuses to give his response to the reinstatement of Darrell Hair

The big man is getting soft

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Interesting discussion.

I heard one official at the SCG Pura Cup final earlier in the week state that Hair is currently getting legal advice regarding recent alleged defamatory comments in the media and also (surprisingly) on web sites and their web administrators. Should be fascinating times ahead. A few current comments on this thread about Hair could potentially end up in the Supreme Court. We will be famous!! Early days...but watch this space !! :laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
from cricinfo:
"I am on the ICC now ... I am not the same guy who would speak out on something like this issue. We agreed the ICC president would discuss this. I cannot comment."
A reformed Arjuna Ranatunga refuses to give his response to the reinstatement of Darrell Hair

The big man is getting soft
:laugh: :laugh:

I am glad that he is changing. May be a sense of Maturity....

The cynic in me says its the Politician in him thats changing him ...is that good or bad ? :laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Hair's re-instatement is correct , only because with people like Koertzen and declining Bucknor the quality of International Umpiring has gone to the dogs...and it needs good umpires of Hair's quality, provided he can keep out of controversy...

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think Hair's re-instatement is correct , only because with people like Koertzen and declining Bucknor the quality of International Umpiring has gone to the dogs...and it needs good umpires of Hair's quality, provided he can keep out of controversy...
I agree. The standard of umpiring at international level is a major concern. Hair is quite good. :laugh:

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually, I read an article in the paper this morning (will try and find a link), where Ranatunga, of all people, was apparently backing the reinstatement of Hair... :mellow:

EDIT: Well, I guess it isn't backing him, but I was rather surprised that he didn't have a go at the decision.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23411138-5001023,00.html
That silence will be until Hair calls Murali again. Then this time he'll make ICC take the desicion. He is cunning as a fox.

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
That silence will be until Hair calls Murali again. Then this time he'll make ICC take the desicion. He is cunning as a fox.
I think you raise a very good point here. What was the real reason behind his suspension, and what will it take for him to be expelled again?

The other issue is what if Murali or any other bowler, be it Brett Lee or Shoaib Akhtar, do straighten or partially straighten their arm during the delivery of a ball in a match officiated by Hair? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: