• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breaking News - Hair reinstated to elite panel

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He couldn't do the job he loved for 18 months though. I'd be gutted to be suspended on full pay from my job tbh.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Except he hasn't really received any punishment. He was on the payroll and paid by the ICC during this time.
I think not being able to do the umpiring is a form of punishment.

Were a player suspended from competition but still received their base contract sum from their Board, they've still been punished by not platying cricket.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think not being able to do the umpiring is a form of punishment.

Were a player suspended from competition but still received their base contract sum from their Board, they've still been punished by not platying cricket.
Hey - getting paid to not go to work? Staying at home for six months with my family instead of a hectic international schedule? I'll take that punishment please.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hey - getting paid to not go to work? Staying at home for six months with my family instead of a hectic international schedule? I'll take that punishment please.
Yeah, but would you take it if it involved your reputation taking a battering (whether deserved or not)?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sure, but the PCB hasn't been out of cricket for 18 months since, despite CA's best efforts to minimise the games they play :).
But thats the thing. He didn't suffer a greater punishment than anyone else, and unlike the Pakistan team, he still got paid for sitting on their ass home. And if I am not mistaken, Inzy did get suspended without pay for three or four ODIs? That's something Hair never got. He got to stay at home collecting a check.

Now if he had been suspended without pay, or something like this, then you could argue that the punishment was rendered and he is free and clear.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Most ppl who have been at CW for a while would know where I stand on the Hair issue.

But, it is kind of ironic that Inzy is expressing shock and disgust at this after saying he had forgiven Hair..... I mean, he is not going to stand in Pakistan's matches and probably won't stand in Sri Lanka's matches as well. Those are the two teams who have a problem with him. Then why react in such a manner? I guess it is time everyone moved on from the Ovalgate... Maybe Inzy is still hurt at the manner in which he was treated, but I do think it is time to move on....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd have thought Inzy would be happy enough, indeed, so long as Hair did not stand in Pakistan or Sri Lanka games.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But thats the thing. He didn't suffer a greater punishment than anyone else, and unlike the Pakistan team, he still got paid for sitting on their ass home. And if I am not mistaken, Inzy did get suspended without pay for three or four ODIs? That's something Hair never got. He got to stay at home collecting a check.
You don't seriously spell cheque like that in the US of A? :blink:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But Inzy and PCB got their reputation battered too, so its not like anyone came out clean.
Don't think Inzy particularly got his reputation battered TBH, maybe in Australia, but by-and-large over here everyone thought he'd acted pretty courageously, most people were behind him that I spoke to (bar a few old-timer :nono: types) and the reception would probably have been even better if the ECB had got their bloody PA system in order and informed everyone what was going on.

Certainly in Pakistan he became a hero.

And as for the PCB getting their reputation battered - that's a weekly occurrance, no?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You don't seriously spell cheque like that in the US of A? :blink:
Amongst other places.

As for Hair, people forget that South Africa were one of the first teams to have serious issues with him.

His list of teams that like himis small. Shouldnt make much of a difference to me.

Janus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Glad the great man is back
Glad? The guy's a racist, enough said. Shouldn't even be allowed to umpire any cricket match of any sort. The only reason he's coming back is because the ICC has no backbone.

pasag

RTDAS
Glad? The guy's a racist, enough said. Shouldn't even be allowed to umpire any cricket match of any sort. The only reason he's coming back is because the ICC has no backbone.
Unless you can prove he is a racist, go take this rubbish somewhere else.

This, for mine, is the most pathetic aspect of cricketing discussion on the web today - the racist accusations based on little more than flimsy circumstantial evidence.

Janus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Unless you can prove he is a racist, go take this rubbish somewhere else.

This, for mine, is the most pathetic aspect of cricketing discussion on the web today - the racist accusations based on little more than flimsy circumstantial evidence.
And so was his accusation of ball tampering, unless he can prove that someone was tampering with the ball why should anyone believe what he does on the pitch? how can you trust him?

pasag

RTDAS
And so was his accusation of ball tampering, unless he can prove that someone was tampering with the ball why should anyone believe what he does on the pitch? how can you trust him?
Who said I trust or respect him as an umpire or think he did the right thing in any way here or at other times?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah never myself have been convinced at all that Hair is racist, his musings about his childhood have been enough to convince me otherwise. Can understand Pakistan and Sri Lanka's distrust of him 100% and as I've said about 100 times now hope he never Umpires those 2 teams again, but very much doubt it's due to racist leanings.

Kev - when was South Africa's problem with him? Presumably was before my time. And was it as extensive as Pakistan's and Sri Lanka's?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Amongst other places.

As for Hair, people forget that South Africa were one of the first teams to have serious issues with him.

His list of teams that like himis small. Shouldnt make much of a difference to me.
People also forget that he was convicted of bringing the game into disrepute in the nineties after his comments on Muralitharan, but CA decided not to punish him (unlike Inzy, who was banned a decade later for the Oval incidents for bringing the game into disrepute - which he should have been certainly).

So he escaped punishment then, and got 18 months of free checks while he sat at his house, and now gets to umpire again. I wish I could do that.