• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Haddin

Is Brad Haddin Australia's best wicket-keeping option?

• Total voters

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I hate how Hartley has this reputation as being an absolutely awesome keeper. I've seen him drop some absolute sitters. He's in good form with the bat though!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I hate how Hartley has this reputation as being an absolutely awesome keeper.
Yeah, seconding this. Admittedly haven't seen heaps of him in four-day cricket (can't really) but he drops some complete clangers in one dayers.

Dydl

International Debutant
I agree with the comments about Haddin being the best all-round package in the country, and he has certainly improved his glovework recently; taking some pretty good catches, and being relatively tidy. I think he's fulfilling the role the Aussie team needs from him perfectly well, and that's all that really matters.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Weird timing for this thread, given Haddin has been so much improved with the gloves this summer.

Briony

International Debutant
Haddin has to tough it out with the bat when the it's challenging conditions. He tends to want to push the scoring rate along no matter what.

Matt79

Global Moderator
True, but it's a bit unfair slating the number 7 who's lauded for being an aggressive shot maker for that, when the top order has spectacularly failed at the same criteria. Was thinking the same today when people were getting stuck into the Pakistani tail for folding - at least their top 6 collectively got their team past 200!!!

Jayzamann

International Regular
I rate Haddin. He might not have time on his side, but it's not like the selectors will be scratching their heads for long once his career finishes.

He may concede a load of byes, but some of his theatrics are amazing. There were two off the top of my head just today.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The Ashes is best best look I've had at his keeping and, whilst he may've just had a dodgy tour, I was surprised quite how ordinary his glovework was at times. The difference when Manou took over was marked.

Prior comfortably outkept him, which is a bit like coming second to Stephen Hawking in an arm wrestle.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Ashes is best best look I've had at his keeping and, whilst he may've just had a dodgy tour, I was surprised quite how ordinary his glovework was at times. The difference when Manou took over was marked.

Prior comfortably outkept him, which is a bit like coming second to Stephen Hawking in an arm wrestle.
Agreed

Quality bat but really an athlete with good hands behind the stumps rather than a top gloveman

Manou was light years ahead

Sir Alex

Banned
I don't really think Haddin's keeping is any worse than Gilchrist's was to be honest, remember Gilly used to have his shockers with the gloves now and then (eg England in 2001), and it wasn't unheard of for him to drop some pretty regulation chances, however he was always capable of balancing the ledger by taking the odd screamer. Haddin seems much the same to me.

And Haddin's batting is comfortably better than any of the other contenders at this point.
Tbh I rate Dhoni above Haddin as a batsman. Dhoni is surely improving while Haddin is just stagnant or perhaps declining as a bat. As regards to keeping both are roughly on the same level.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Dhoni has scored about 60 runs per innings in tests last year compared to his earlier failures some years back.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well he's not throwing his glove at the ball and costing his team 5 runs, so he's doing something right.
Possibly the single most bizzare thing I've seen an international cricketer do on a field tbh, save for Afridi's brain fade when he scratched up the pitch on TV in front of 50 million viewers.

Julian87

State Captain
Prior comfortably outkept him.
Definitely disagree with that.

Tbh I rate Dhoni above Haddin as a batsman. Dhoni is surely improving while Haddin is just stagnant or perhaps declining as a bat. As regards to keeping both are roughly on the same level.
Everything about Brad Haddin's career indicates that he is a much improved and most probably a steadily improving batsman.

pasag

RTDAS
Possibly the single most bizzare thing I've seen an international cricketer do on a field tbh, save for Afridi's brain fade when he scratched up the pitch on TV in front of 50 million viewers.
Not even the most bizarre thing Haddin has done.

(that would be the time he left a free hit in a Twenty20 thinking the ball would hit the stumps and go for 4. or was that someone else?)

Dydl

International Debutant
Not even the most bizarre thing Haddin has done.

(that would be the time he left a free hit in a Twenty20 thinking the ball would hit the stumps and go for 4. or was that someone else?)
No, that was Haddin, playing for Australia A against Pakistan. Left that free hit delivery from Shoaib Akhtar, and got a bye out of it.

gwo

U19 Debutant
I hate how Hartley has this reputation as being an absolutely awesome keeper. I've seen him drop some absolute sitters. He's in good form with the bat though!
Fair enough.

He is more than comfortably the best gloveman in Aus either way.