• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Niall

International Coach
Please get Benn in with someone who is not totally shot.

Chatter about Kell Brook and even more depressingly Amir Khan,,,no just no.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One look at the shape in which Ruiz comes into some fights and you know that he’s not giving it 100%

There’s different shapes but he often carries a lot of blubber

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Hard to match Benn as they can't afford for him to lose. The two guys that fought earlier tonight, Stanionis and Butaev, are legit and then you have Ennis and Ortiz waiting to get the belts. Hearn mentioning a load of fighters that are PBC and they won't do business with DAZN. Mikey Garcia would be a decent fight. Mikey's got one foot out of the door and is a lightweight but it is a name and he can fight.

social

Benn
Hard to match Benn as they can't afford for him to lose. The two guys that fought earlier tonight, Stanionis and Butaev, are legit and then you have Ennis and Ortiz waiting to get the belts. Hearn mentioning a load of fighters that are PBC and they won't do business with DAZN. Mikey Garcia would be a decent fight. Mikey's got one foot out of the door and is a lightweight but it is a name and he can fight.
Benn had a very brief amateur career before turning pro 2 years after his last bout

Obviously being carefully matched but understandable from that perspective (& the fact that he’s making good money due to his surname)

Niall

International Coach
Not great timing. BT trying to flog a PPV next week that’s only on BT thanks to Kinahan.
Disney trying to sell this for $69.99 here and will also get uncomfortable questions. Arum’s already started to distance themselves from MTK and Probellum but Kinahan’s involvement in the sport is so deep rooted. There are fighters on this week’s Showtime PPV that are Probellum fighters, they've taken over most UK gyms, and prominent members of the boxing media are all on the payroll as well. They had Saint Marcus Rashford at one of their money laundering events last month in Dubai, literally no one was in attendance.
On that, some people had a blinder, and yeah Probellum trying to distance themselves,,,,Eurosport have some some upcoming cards coming with them so interesting to see what happens their.

On Spence /Ugas,,, Spence got a nice assist from the referee when he was in trouble , but overall he was dominant as anyone could be against a guy as good as Ugas. He's the outsider against Crawford, but who isn't?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I love the way BT Sport and talkSPORT are hyping up their coverage of the fight of the century and the biggest fight in British boxing history while pretty much implying it's a mismatch.

Niall

International Coach
Its amusing looking at the undercard of this compared to Taylor/Serrano and Alvarez and wow night and day,,,this undercard even for UK standards is shambolic.

Anyway my prediction is boring,,,Fury wins by late stoppage or UD,,,,Whyte can bang a bit but has nowhere near the same power of Wilder who could not get it done in three attempts and how the hell does he beat him if it goes the distance?

social

Its amusing looking at the undercard of this compared to Taylor/Serrano and Alvarez and wow night and day,,,this undercard even for UK standards is shambolic.

Anyway my prediction is boring,,,Fury wins by late stoppage or UD,,,,Whyte can bang a bit but has nowhere near the same power of Wilder who could not get it done in three attempts and how the hell does he beat him if it goes the distance?
Wasn’t the rumour that they blew all their money on the main event?

Probably just another greedy promoter who believes that punters will pay for anything

Whyte isn’t much of a puncher (relatively) but neither is Fury

Wide ud imo

Niall

International Coach
Yeah Warren was pretty sneery when asked about having Yarde on the card for example.

Business wise it will do great numbers, its sold out and PPV wise it will sell plenty.

Yeah probably giving Whyte to much credit when it comes to his power, he can bang but its nothing extraordinary and when you look at his lengthy career beating Parker is his highlight. Solid fighter but I don't see how he wins.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It is a stylistic nightmare for Whyte if Fury is at his best. Whyte is a good counter puncher and a good jabber but has nothing else, and has terrible footwork so will not be able to catch anyone who can effectively keep him on the outside.

The only question for me is if Fury is actually at his best. I'm legitimately not sure if Fury actually has anything left. I don't know if he has the same legs he used to have.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
What a desperate showing from Whyte. Very clinical from Fury tbf, held the uppercut back until he sensed Whyte was getting tired and frustrated and then finished it in one go.

Niall

International Coach
Whyte's best win was against Parker so yeah those shocked shouldn't be. As Hendrix said a horror match up for him and his only chance was Fury would show up totally undercooked.

I dunno what comes next. I think Fury will fight again but it won't be for a long time. I don't think he has much interest in fighting Usyk and I don't think they can ever make the AJ fight .

Whyte will have got good money tonight but his vanishing act when promoting this will hurt him,,I dunno maybe we could get him against Wilder or Ruiz?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Whyte's best win was against Parker so yeah those shocked shouldn't be. As Hendrix said a horror match up for him and his only chance was Fury would show up totally undercooked.

I dunno what comes next. I think Fury will fight again but it won't be for a long time. I don't think he has much interest in fighting Usyk and I don't think they can ever make the AJ fight .

Whyte will have got good money tonight but his vanishing act when promoting this will hurt him,,I dunno maybe we could get him against Wilder or Ruiz?
Oof, with how square his stance tends to be Whyte would be at risk of getting seriously hurt if he stepped in the ring with Wilder. A rematch with Parker might be a goer if the later can get past Joyce.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Oof, with how square his stance tends to be Whyte would be at risk of getting seriously hurt if he stepped in the ring with Wilder. A rematch with Parker might be a goer if the later can get past Joyce.
Whyte's stance is usually not that square but because Fury didn't let him get inside at all he had to abandon his normal style and squared up in rd 6 leading to an easy KO.

In any case Whyte should retire. His chin has gotten progressively worse and he's been in a lot of wars with AJ, Parker, Chisora, Povetkin, Oscar Rivas etc etc. He's even taken big punches from the likes of Helenius. He has nothing left.

Niall

International Coach
Whyte's stance is usually not that square but because Fury didn't let him get inside at all he had to abandon his normal style and squared up in rd 6 leading to an easy KO.

In any case Whyte should retire. His chin has gotten progressively worse and he's been in a lot of wars with AJ, Parker, Chisora, Povetkin, Oscar Rivas etc etc. He's even taken big punches from the likes of Helenius. He has nothing left.
This was his second brutal KO in the last 3 fights.

Maybe he can some sort of gatekeeper like Chisora has been last few years , but as you say he has taken a lot of abuse and I doubt he needs the money.