• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Since Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24, Usyk and Lomachenko have traveled into Ukraine, taken up arms and joined the territorial defense battalion.
"I really don't know when I'm going to be stepping back in the ring," said Usyk, who looked exhausted and emotional in his interview with CNN. "My country and my honor are more important to me than a championship belt."

"Maybe, it'll sound sentimental," he explained, "but my soul belongs to the Lord and my body and my honor belong to my country, to my family. So there is no fear, absolutely no fear. There's just bafflement -- how could this be in the 21st century?"

Lomachenko had been visiting a monastery in Greece and returned home the next day. Instead of flying directly to his hometown of Odessa, he traveled to Bucharest in Romania, then drove for nine hours to the port and caught a ferry into Ukraine.
Their manager told CNN that he didn't know they were thinking of taking up arms until they had already signed up for the defense battalion. Former world boxing champions, Vitali -- who is also the Mayor of Kyiv -- and Wladimir Klitschko, have also taken up arms in defense of their nation.
No doubt Tyson Fury will tell the world that Usyk's ducking him or something.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Pointless tbh.

Fury v Whyte in April confirmed and yet again Fury is chattering about retiring which won't happen if the Joshua fight can be made in the next 18 months.

On the fight itself Tyson stops him around 9 or 10. Whyte is ok and he can bang a bit , but their is levels to this.
Be surprised it went deep. Whyte’s chinny and I don’t think Fury has the legs anymore.

Wonder who Joshua will now fight? Parker 2, Ruiz 3?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Be surprised it went deep. Whyte’s chinny and I don’t think Fury has the legs anymore.

If Parker somehow manages to earn himself another Joshua payday after fighting taxi drivers and a shot Derek Chisora I don't know what to say except that David Higgins is some sort of mad genius.

Joshua should try make the Wilder fight IMO.

Niall

International Coach
Joe Joyce a good bet.

It may not sell in the States, but it would do excellent business in the UK and would be much less risky than Ruiz 3 or Wilder .

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
There's still the Frank Warren/Eddie Hearn divide though which makes things a little difficult.

The Whyte/Fury fight is only happening because of purse bid. Hearn basically has nothing to do with it.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Think Wilder/Joshua is still a massive fight and gets audiences in the states. No one wants AJ Ruiz 3.

It may also be the last chance to cash out both Joshua and Wilder so I can see the promoters going for it.

Niall

International Coach
Think Wilder/Joshua is still a massive fight and gets audiences in the states. No one wants AJ Ruiz 3.

It may also be the last chance to cash out both Joshua and Wilder so I can see the promoters going for it.

Very risky fight that for Joshua and he doesn't really need it. Joshua fight not as easy I suggested to make and would not make much money in America, but nonetheless would do good numbers in the UK and a much safer right for AJ.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Very risky fight that for Joshua and he doesn't really need it. Joshua fight not as easy I suggested to make and would not make much money in America, but nonetheless would do good numbers in the UK and a much safer right for AJ.
AJ has like a few fights left, and it's the heavyweight division.

He could lose to someone he's not meant to lose to, as the Ruiz fight showed.

Fury could also lose to anyone.

They should try and make the biggest fights they can.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
David Haye's Top 10 Heavyweights of all time. Have to be retired and over 45.

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Lennox Lewis
3. Evander Holyfield
4. George Foreman
5. Larry Holmes
6. Mike Tyson
7. Joe Frazier
8. Sonny Liston
9. Ken Norton
10.Riddick Bowe

2 and 3 are a joke. Number 10 an even bigger joke. Whether some other criteria kept out Marciano and Joe Louis I'm not sure.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Don't count out a man from Nottingham in the 12th. Froch stopped Taylor with seconds to go and this was even more dramatic. Conlan took everything from Wood and then just went limp.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Scorecards didn't look good. Conlan up on all 3 going into the 12th but by just a point on two of them.

Niall

International Coach
I still don't know how Wood got to the final round let alone win, he was dominated for majority of the fight, yes he was brave but Conlan was cruising and then the last few rounds Conlan did not seem to know should he stack the pts out or get the flashy KO.

Still though, insane comeback from Wood and while Conlan isn't the most likable hopefully he comes back from that, looked very concerning him leaving the stadium.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
AJ has like a few fights left, and it's the heavyweight division.

He could lose to someone he's not meant to lose to, as the Ruiz fight showed.

Fury could also lose to anyone.

They should try and make the biggest fights they can.
If Joshua were to lose a fight with an interim opponent would he still have the option to enforce the rematch clause with Usyk should the chance come up? And how long before Usyk will be required to hand back his titles, and do they just go back to Joshua or are they all contested in random fights between random heavyweights?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
If Joshua were to lose a fight with an interim opponent would he still have the option to enforce the rematch clause with Usyk should the chance come up? And how long before Usyk will be required to hand back his titles, and do they just go back to Joshua or are they all contested in random fights between random heavyweights?
Unless it’s the WBC and emailing titles to people, Joshua would have to fight for the belts if Usyk was stripped of the WBO, WBA and IBF, and he wouldn’t get them all if he fought say Joe Joyce for a vacant title. That would only be for the WBO, the WBA and IBF wouldn’t be on the line - Joyce isn't ranked with the WBA for example. They would be contested by other fighters.

We haven't seen the contract, but Usyk contractually owes Joshua a rematch. Joshua getting flattened by someone else shouldn't impact that but there is presumably an expiration date for the rematch, and it may have stipulations and implications concerning an interim bout.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great fight but Conlan was really poor

Fight was basically over after a few rounds but he kept backing away with his hands down & getting hit by someone with nothing left

Thought to myself after about 8 rounds that he’s getting smoked by anyone with a pulse

Happened same night