• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know how much credibility GiveMeSport have in the sporting world, but they produced this count down from 10 to 1 of the greatest boxers ever. Pacquiao at number 2 is laughable and there are notable absentees, including Sugar Ray Leonard. I think they need help.

10. Julio Cesar Chavez

9. Oscar De La Hoya

8. Archie Moore

7. Joe Louis

6. Bernard Hopkins

5. Sugar Ray Robinson

4. Muhammad Ali

3. Carlos Monzon

2. Manny Pacquiao

1. Floyd Mayweather

Tiberius

Cricket Spectator
I don't know how much credibility GiveMeSport have in the sporting world, but they produced this count down from 10 to 1 of the greatest boxers ever. Pacquiao at number 2 is laughable and there are notable absentees, including Sugar Ray Leonard. I think they need help.

10. Julio Cesar Chavez

9. Oscar De La Hoya

8. Archie Moore

7. Joe Louis

6. Bernard Hopkins

5. Sugar Ray Robinson

4. Muhammad Ali

3. Carlos Monzon

2. Manny Pacquiao

1. Floyd Mayweather
De La Hoya doesn't belong in the top ten. I haven't seen much of Monzon, but I don't think he does either. You would think Duran had done enough to get a place, Ray Leonard too IMO.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Gabriel Maestre getting the decision there is one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. Fox didn't even bother interviewing Maestre. Something doesn't add up with Maestre, coming on 35, Venezuelan, shouldn't have anything going for him here but being fast tracked and getting a decision that only someone with money invested in them would need. Interesting issue with the gloves at the start of the fight as well.

Fox were using this card to promote the Pacquaio Spence fight. Why would you spend money on the product after watching that?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
That's a disgusting card for Fox to allow to air. Devon Alexander with 2 wins in 8 years to open up, the Maestre fight which looks dodgy as ****, and then Luiz Collazo at the age of 40 to main event and it to go to a no decision.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
De La Hoya doesn't belong in the top ten. I haven't seen much of Monzon, but I don't think he does either. You would think Duran had done enough to get a place, Ray Leonard too IMO.
I think Hagler was better than both. Don’t think Leonard did enough to be top ten tbh, Duran certainly in the argument though

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Leonard might not have racked up 80 odd fights but he beat Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Benitez who were the other top fighters of the time.

Burgey

he beat Hagler,
Very debatable IMO, but that’s boxing I guess. Was a terrific fighter for sure

Was thinking about Ali’s record the other day. Both his losses in anything approaching his prime were a decision vs Frazier 3 fights back from a three year lay off and a decision vs Norton after he had his jaw broken in the first round. Amazing record in such a tough heavyweight era.

Niall

International Coach
Oscar De La Hoya has postponed his comeback due to being in hospital with Covid.

Evander back out for a payday.

Dazn have increased their monthly sub fee from 3 quid to 8. It may not seem much, but I am binning.

Its barely value at 3 quid and I don't have any interest in paying to watch Campbell ****ing Hatton.

Thankfully a decent card later with Katie, Lara v Warrington 2 and Conor Benn, nonetheless looking at their upcoming schedule no thanks.

Burgey

The last time Trump was asked to comment on September 11 he made a point of saying he now had the tallest building in downtown Manhattan.

Not happy about Holyfield coming back. Love him, he was a great fighter. Fair enough he wants a pay day, I get that, but I don't want to see someone as good as he was get beaten up by some spud who otherwise wouldn't carry his jockstrap.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Getting quite hyped up for Joshua-Usyk. Really Joshua deserves a lot of credit. More credit than Fury tbh. He's fought every available contender when he's had the ability to duck or wait people out.

Probably a bridge too far for Usyk but if he manages to tire Joshua out he could pull off a late stoppage.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not happy about Holyfield coming back. Love him, he was a great fighter. Fair enough he wants a pay day, I get that, but I don't want to see someone as good as he was get beaten up by some spud who otherwise wouldn't carry his jockstrap.
Had to check his age; bloke will be 60 next October.

I was never a huge fan of his technique, too much of a spoiler for me to quite be in the pantheon, but I don't think I've ever seen a fighter with more heart. He took a tremendous amount of punishment in 3 fights with Bowe & Ruiz, 2 with Lewis and Tyson, later on, other chaps who weren't fit to, as you say, convey his athletic support and he's coming back again? Needs to be saved from himself.

'Snot right. One of the old guys is gonna get killed eventually.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Had to check his age; bloke will be 60 next October.

I was never a huge fan of his technique, too much of a spoiler for me to quite be in the pantheon, but I don't think I've ever seen a fighter with more heart. He took a tremendous amount of punishment in 3 fights with Bowe & Ruiz, 2 with Lewis and Tyson, later on, other chaps who weren't fit to, as you say, convey his athletic support and he's coming back again? Needs to be saved from himself.

'Snot right. One of the old guys is gonna get killed eventually.
Dude was probably also the biggest steroid abuser the sport has ever seen....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dude was probably also the biggest steroid abuser the sport has ever seen....
Some might say he'd be second in the queue behind Pacquiao at the local supplier.

However, for legal reasons, I say those people are mistaken and that he's never failed a test to my knowledge... :whistling

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Even though he’s only 40 David Haye’s comeback is equally dire. He had absolutely nothing to offer in the fights with Bellew five years ago.

Niall

International Coach
Holyfield is massively punchdrunk. Painful to listen to him try to talk. This is dangerous.
Was pretty brutal for how short it was. Thankfully Hollyfield seems ok and got a cheque, but he should never fight again.

The Haye "fight" was worse though, he had zero interest in knocking out his mate so got 8 rds of them doing **** all.

On Trump, dreadful man, but when it comes to boxing in the 80s and 90s he is ok, wish he'd focus on chatting about that rather than doing the politics.

Interesting to see if they made money on this, Trump can't come cheap and from all accounts this mob are not the most frugal with money.