• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Bid for position" ODI draft (voting thread)

Pick the best 3 ODI XIs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
This was a draft to pick an ODI XI.
Vote for your top 3.

ankitj
Gordon Greenidge
Shane Watson [5]
Faf du Plesis
Greg Chappell [6] (c)
Aravinda de Silva [8]
Andy Flower (wk)
Yuvraj Singh [7]
Chaminda Vaas [2]
Dale Steyn [1]
Muttiah Muralitharan [4]
Jasprit Bumrah [3]

Magrat Garlick
David Warner
Brian Lara
Kumar Sangakkara+
Michael Clarke*
Suresh Raina
Ryan ten Doeschate
Shahid Afridi
Ian Bishop
Fanie de Villiers
Michael Holding
Shoaib Akhtar

JOJOXI
Jonny Bairstow
Matthew Hayden
Babar Azam
Martin Crowe
Arjuna Ranatunga
Jos Buttler (wk)
Imran Khan
Ravindra Jadeja
Jason Gillespie
Joel Garner
Saqlain Mushtaq

Line and Length
Virender Sehwag /o
Aaron Finch /
Javed Miandad /
Viv Richards (C) /o
Rahul Dravid (wk) /
Mohammad Nabi /o
Shaun Pollock /o
Chris Woakes /o
Richard Hadlee /o
Josh Hazelwood /o
Ajantha Mendis /o

ataraxia
ST Jayasuriya / o
RG Sharma /
JH Kallis / o
DM Jones /
MG Bevan / o
Mushfiqur Rahim / +
Kapil Dev o /
IT Botham o /
CL Cairns o /
SK Warne o
TA Boult o

weeman27bob
Brendon McCullum
Jason Roy
Joe Root
Ross Taylor
Eoin Morgan
Ben Stokes
Shakib Al Hasan
Andrew Flintoff
Imran Tahir
Andy Roberts
Dennis Lillee

kingkallis
Mark Waugh / o
Quinton de Kock / +
Ricky Ponting /
Inzamam ul Haq /
Clive Lloyd / (c)
Jonty Rhodes /
Abdul Razzaq o /
Wasim Akram o /
Brad Hogg o /
Craig McDermott o
Glenn McGrath o

Himannv
Sachin Tendulkar
Chris Gayle
Virat Kohli*
Steve Smith
Carl Hooper
Andrew Symonds
Mark Boucher+
Brett Lee
Darren Gough
Nathan Bracken
Saeed Ajmal

honestbharani
Saeed Anwar
Tilakaratne Dilshan
Usman Khawaja
AB De Villiers
MS Dhoni (C, Wk)
Angelo Matthews (vc)
Gary Gilmour
Sunil Narine
Mitch Starc
Kagiso Rabada
Curtly Ambrose

Weldone XI
Adam Gilchrist*+
Hashim Amla
Zaheer Abbas
Gary Sobers (5)
Kevin Pietersen
David Miller
Glenn Maxwell (6)
Rashid Khan (4)
Mitchell Johnson (3)
Malcolm Marshall (2)
Waqar Younis (1)

Michaelf7777777
Romesh Kaluwitharana (+)
Sourav Ganguly
Kane Williamson
Damien Martyn
Steve Waugh (*)
Michael Hussey
Lance Klusener
Daniel Vettori
Shane Bond
Lasith Malinga
Allan Donald

Last edited:

JOJOXI

Yet to vote but haven't forgotten about this just looking for a chunk of time I can properly mull over squads

JOJOXI

Love Himannv's top 4 and Symonds at 6 - Carl Hooper a nice utility pick too - none of his 7 ODI hundreds against 'minnows' and gives you a solid 5th bowling option and Symonds a useful 6th. The bowling attack looks stronger than the names on paper initially suggest too.

Like KingKallis's decent batting depth without comprimising too much on the bowling with Hogg and Akram, great potential new ball pairing too with Akram and McGrath and good backup in McDermott and Hogg, Razzaq perhaps a bit of a downgrade on the rest but would still comfortably get 10 overs from him and M Waugh

Final choice probably the toughest but weeman27bob - special mention to michaelf777 but Imran Tahir won it for me. Both teams with very good middle orders which really stood out for me, a balance I was a fan of with a number 8 who could bat but with ODI sides increasingly relying on spinners with variety and/or mystery thought Tahir was more of a wicket-taking threat in the middle overs - Tahir with a significantly higher wickets per match and an economy only half a run worse despite bowling in an ODI era that can often be dominated by batsman.

Himannv

International Coach
Sam tossed me a pity vote for having the unflushed one clearly
I had a hard time picking that last one after the standard kk and weldone votes. Lots of great teams with little things I didn't like. I'd have voted for hb if he made a better pick than Gilmour for example. Almost voted for JOJOXI but there's just something I'm not sure about with his batting. Even your team had a bit of a question mark with RtD - he's a bit hard to rate.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for the votes guys. I shall make an excel sheet and vote based on some objective criteria (my updated odi ranking system) tomorrow or day after - like I always try to do. It takes an hour or so but worth it.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Invite a few CWers from Mafia game thread and we will have a decisive winner for sure :ph34r:
I was told by moderator this topic can't be raised (by me or anyone else) in any other thread. Obviously, like always, everyone will break that rule except me.

FYI I have reported both your post and Mag's response (she is a moderator ffs!) for this reason. But obviously nothing will happen. All the strict rules apply to me only.

It may be fun for you guys, but from my perspective, the chain of events over the last 24 hours don't seem fun. It has been utterly humiliating at a personal level - and I have nobody in CW to stand with me on this. Guess you won't understand how I feel until one day you are on the receiving end of this kind of mob justice somewhere.

Last edited:

weeman27bob

International Regular
It'll be interesting to see how similar the bidding strategies of the winning teams are - whether they're similar or very different because you can only have one good team for each style of strategy

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It'll be interesting to see how similar the bidding strategies of the winning teams are - whether they're similar or very different because you can only have one good team for each style of strategy
I still think ataraxia had the best bidding strategy picking those first 6 players around the top for around 150k each. But in my estimate he made a slight error of judgement in not picking a gun pace bowler among his first 6 picks (those 6 picks were all spinner, allrounders and batsmen iirc).

weeman27bob

International Regular
DrafterAverage pick
Line and Length78.5
Himannv65.5
honestbharani65.0
weldone55.2
kingkallis63.0
JOJOXI59.2
ankitj61.5
Michaelf777777756.4
Magrat Garlick58.8