• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best test slip fielders of all time

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mark Waugh was insane. That one off Warne at the top is absolutely freakish. Does anyone remember him dropping any? Any footage?

I also remember footage of a West Indian, maybe Clive Lloyd, taking a barely believable catch round the corner at leg slip.
His last couple of years he grassed a few, but was an absolute beast during the mid-to-late 90s.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Mark Waugh was insane. That one off Warne at the top is absolutely freakish. Does anyone remember him dropping any? Any footage?

I also remember footage of a West Indian, maybe Clive Lloyd, taking a barely believable catch round the corner at leg slip.
More than likely Sobers, Lloyd didn't have that many spinners to field to.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I always think it's unfair to rate Mark Waugh so highly as a slipper, because he was just about the best natural fieldsman anywhere. Silly point, in the circle in ODIs, on the rare occasions he was on the boundary. The bloke was just a first rate freakish fielder, like Roger Harper was.

The first catch in this video is such a hard catch, the ball dying as it did. The second, though taken at midwicket, is one of the greatest catches I think I've ever seen given the state of the game. I can understand why Laxman just stood there. He pulverised that ball.

Mark Waugh Great Catch in chennai - YouTube

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
If scorer kept a record of dropped catches we would have more of an idea who really is the best. From the guys i have seen Mark Waugh, Taylor and Brain McMillian were the best.

One current players Freddie, Warne and Fleming are pretty even, they all take some good ones and drop some easier ones.
Dropped a lot though, some quite simple ones too.

Both Chappells were very good. Shane Warne was good but not great judging by the number he dropped, some crucial ones too. Jeremy Coney and Stephen Fleming had good hands.

Briony

International Debutant
I always think it's unfair to rate Mark Waugh so highly as a slipper, because he was just about the best natural fieldsman anywhere. Silly point, in the circle in ODIs, on the rare occasions he was on the boundary. The bloke was just a first rate freakish fielder, like Roger Harper was.

The first catch in this video is such a hard catch, the ball dying as it did. The second, though taken at midwicket, is one of the greatest catches I think I've ever seen given the state of the game. I can understand why Laxman just stood there. He pulverised that ball.

Mark Waugh Great Catch in chennai - YouTube
Punter and Greg Chappell were also brilliant all-round fieldsmen. Chappell even fielded brilliantly in the covers. I have on film the seven catches he took in Perth in 74/5 - all different positions and some were stunning, did it with consummate ease too.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Punter and Greg Chappell were also brilliant all-round fieldsmen. Chappell even fielded brilliantly in the covers. I have on film the seven catches he took in Perth in 74/5 - all different positions and some were stunning, did it with consummate ease too.
Ponting was an absolute gun in the covers/point region in his prime. Seemed to throw the stumps down quicker/more than anyone from that era (even Jonty).

Top_Cat

Pretty sure Jonty wasn't that great at hitting the stumps. Awesome catcher/stopper but average at pinging the ball at the sticks.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Pretty sure Jonty wasn't that great at hitting the stumps. Awesome catcher/stopper but average at pinging the ball at the sticks.
Probably why he felt the need to headlong full on dive through them to effect a run out! :)

Top_Cat

Probably why he felt the need to headlong full on dive through them to effect a run out! :)
Believe he was quoted as saying that's why he went for them that way, wasn't confident he'd hit. Haven't seen anything like it before or since and probably won SA the game because, from memory, Pakistan were cruising.

Jager

International Debutant
Kallis is a freak of nature. I was just reminiscing over the England/SA tests series - he took some marvelous catches, and when he did drop one (something that nearly never happens) I was absolutely stunned.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
He and Graeme Smith were excellent for the series, and many were saying that slip catching was one of the biggest differences between the teams and and big reason why England lost.
Dropping Swann could have lost them the series beyond just his bowling.