• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best test slip fielders of all time

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
best 10 slippers i've seen.....

Mark Waugh
Mark Taylor
Ian Chappell
Bob Simpson
Stephen Fleming
Jeremy Coney
Brian Mcmillan
Ian Botham
Brian Young (ex keeper)
Ricky Ponting

Blaze

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
I'm certain we did this fairly recently, but anyway Junior Waugh was the best I ever saw. Graeme Hick top notch too, huge old mitts he has.

Beefy very good too, although I missed his absolute peak. His back probs affected him in his later career.

Of current players....Hmm....Freddie?

Freddie haha Fleming and Warne a much better first slip fieldsman.

What can Freddie do wrong?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For me, the best i've seen is Taylor, then Waugh... Warne is very overrated in my opinion, drops some sitters e.g Damien Flemmings hatty ball :@ ... Stephen Flemming would be just as good as Warne, maybe Warne by a hair... based soley on the fact that ive seen Warne more,lol. Dravid isnt too shabby at all from what ive seen. But Taylor and Waugh are freaks.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
One current players Freddie, Warne and Fleming are pretty even, they all take some good ones and drop some easier ones.
I'm struggling to remember drops Flintoff has made to be honest.

Marius

International Debutant
Brian McMillan, Darryl Cullinan and Kepler Wessels were all quite solid for SA in the slip cordon in the '90s. Jacques Kallis is also pretty good.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
So many of them over time.

One who may be forgotten, however, is the English captain for 1928-29 Chapman.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with Zebra here. Hammond, Simpson and Mark Waugh. Taylor was almost flawless too, as was Ian Botham.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
zinzan12 said:
Of course Marc, Flintoff has never dropped a catch has he :D
No doubt you have a long list of drops he's made then?

And no doubt you'll share them with us, rather than just making a pathetic attempt at scoring points.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
no, i have never seen Flintoff drop one in the 4 series ive seen in the past 2 years. i do remember his dad dropping one :D that was legandery ! and surprising how big is the chance that you can hit the ball to your dad...and how big is the chance that the person who told you to catch will drops it :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I'm struggling to remember drops Flintoff has made to be honest.
AFAIK he hasn't dropped one for about 2 years but he was a complete liability in 2002.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
marc71178 said:
No doubt you have a long list of drops he's made then?

And no doubt you'll share them with us, rather than just making a pathetic attempt at scoring points.
how ironic......

but er yes....stop making these pathetic points :p

and just for the record i am sure zinzan does indeed have a huuuge list of freddies drops :p

Sir Gaddy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well personally i think that mark butcher is the greatest slip fielder of all time, but seriously definitely mark waugh legendary slip-man

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Taylor
M. Waugh
Hooper
Hick
McMillan
Azhar
Dravid
Warney
Inzy (he doesn't drop too many in the slips)

Quite frankly, I think the slip cordon Australia had in 1998 when they were in India was the best I have seen..

Taylor Waugh Warne

you nick'em and u take a walk. They didn't drop anything around that time.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't believe Jeff & Martin Crowe haven't been mentioned. Jeremy Coney was exceptional too...I'd have them above Fleming to be honest.

Bryan Young was very good, but because he was a less than average batsman he won't be that well remembered for his fielding deeds.

amiller

Cricket Spectator
I remember Stephen Fleming catching nearly anything that came his way, yet recently he doesnt seem to take them as often.. Just today he injured his hand dropping a catch (not sure if it was at slip though)

Link

State Vice-Captain
Freddie is above most today, but he is not better than trescothick. Ive seen tres take countless catches even those when he needs to dive forward. I would like to see his catching ration, he does not drop much at all to say the least