• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever ODI batsman

Who do you think is the best ever ODI batsman?

• Total voters

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And Hilfenhaus. :p
No, I'm beginning to see the merit in what you were saying regarding him. :p

Still think he'll be a sub-30 averaging bowler in the longer run, probably more of a Paul Reiffel than a Mohammed Asif, though, which was my initial impression.

Blaze 18

Banned
I am a little surprised that Inzamam-ul-Haq has not got a mention. I reckon he is up there with the best ODI batsmen of all-time.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
That's a ;ame excuse because it is the trend in every #6/7 batsman. For example Dhoni's 1 st innings SR is 92, 2nd innings SR is 84. According to your assumption Dhoni's SR should be regarded as 92. And for A Ranatunga (a renowned game finisher), 1st innings 81 second innings 76.

Even if you take the global trend for No 6/7 batsmen, (post 1992), 78.64 & 71.9

So Bevan is not special at all in this regard. Most #6/7 batsmen knew that, and most of them have higher 1st innings SRs. Still a SR of 80 from Bevan in 1st innings is nothing extra ordinary.
No, the point is that when chasing, the SR is somewhat irrelevant if you are consistently getting to the score in enough time - which is exactly what Bevan did. He was famous for batting a long time with the tail, rotating the strike and picking off runs. Generally, the slower you score runs the safer you are - and Bevan was as safe as houses when chasing.

I never got to see Viv in his pomp and he's probably a more advanced version of Tendulkar...but in terms of the things Bevan did down the order...they were unbelievable. You'd need nerves of Titanium. I am not a big fan of ODI cricket, but those matches (and there were many of them) where Bevan would come in and save us were some of the most thrilling I've ever watched. Arguments against his SR when chasing are just laughable in that context.

IIRC when we had this discussion before, his detractors could barely cite examples when his SR actually cost us matches. It almost never did.

Last edited:

0RI0N

State 12th Man
1. Viv Richards
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Zaheer Abbas
4. Day Light

5. The Rest...
youtrollin?.jpg
The daylight at 4 says you are trolling because you clearly haven't seen Haynes, Javed,Ponting, Lara, Deano, Inzamam and Saeed Anwar
Upright Zed was a good ODI batsman averaging 47 after 60 odd matches...but 3rd best.
With all due respect GTF0.
Might as well put Hashim Amla in the top 10.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
youtrollin?.jpg
The daylight at 4 says you are trolling because you clearly haven't seen Haynes, Javed,Ponting, Lara, Deano, Inzamam and Saeed Anwar
Upright Zed was a good ODI batsman averaging 47 after 60 odd matches...but 3rd best.
Well for a long time (till about 2003), Zaheer Abbas was one of only 3 (along with Viv and Tendulkar) who averaged 40+ and had an SR of 80+. So even if you disagree with that, it isn't exactly so outrageous to react like that!

EDIT: Correction. There were 4 including Klusener.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well for a long time (till about 2003), Zaheer Abbas was one of only 3 (along with Viv and Tendulkar) who averaged 40+ and had an SR of 80+. So even if you disagree with that, it isn't exactly so outrageous to react like that!

EDIT: Correction. There were 4 including Klusener.
Abbas FTW. :p

vcs

I would change my vote to Tendulkar in a heartbeat in polls like this were he to score a defining knock, preferably a match-winning century, in the knockout stage of the upcoming World Cup (preferably the final :D).

If he doesn't, and ends his career without a World Cup medal, hey, he's still the 2nd best ODI batsman of all time for me, and still will have a fantastic World Cup record to his name.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I would change my vote to Tendulkar in a heartbeat in polls like this were he to score a defining knock, preferably a match-winning century, in the knockout stage of the upcoming World Cup (preferably the final :D).
:laugh:

Blaze 18

Banned
youtrollin?.jpg
That is a bit harsh. I reckon you could make a fair case for Zaheer Abbas being the best ODI batsman of his era - after Sir Viv Richards, of course. A number of the older Pakistani fans rate him higher than Saeed Anwar and Inzamam-ul-Haq. There is not much doubt that he is one of the best ODI batsmen of all-time.

Personally, I would not have him in my top three, but I can certainly understand if someone else does. He was not called the Asian Bradman for nothing.

Last edited:

vcs

And what's more, Amla will be up there as well by the time he ends his career.