• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever ODI batsman

Who do you think is the best ever ODI batsman?

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just watching an old ODI here from 97-98, Aus v NZ on Fox.

Wasn't sure where else to put this, and I'm not suggesting he belongs in this argument, but Jeez Nathan Astle was a good player to watch when he got going.

Blaze 18

Banned
Richards has an exceptional record for the era of ODIs he played in. However, his last 5 seasons or so were pretty average. He could not show the necessary adaptability and versatility to modify his game. On the other hand, there is Tendulkar in his 21st year of cricket scoring the first ever ODI double hundred and another score of 175.

Part of Richards' decline was of course natural because it happened in both formats of the game. But I believe that Richards also benefited from teams not having separate ODI strategies and units in the early part of his career. His natural approach to the game put him way ahead of the competition and challenges, but once teams started becoming more versed with the ODI game he could no longer carry on that dominance.

Tendulkar's ODI career in that respect is far more complete. His records and numbers are there for all to see, but it has been his remarkable versatility and adaptability which puts him at the top. The ODI game has evolved a lot over the last 21 years, and Tendulkar has been a top performer in the format for the vast majority of this span of time. He has been able to adapt his game through times when 230-250 were good scores, ODI pitches still had a bit in it, the boundaries were longer into an era where 280-300 are good scores, most ODI pitches are flat, and boundaries have been roped in. To maintain this sort of stranglehold on the game despite so many changes is nothing short of genius. He even took it one step further by becoming one of the best T20 players in the world as well, though not relevant for this discussion.
Another top post, Hit Wicket. In my opinion, the top three ODI batsmen of all-time are :

1) Brian Lara
2) Sir Viv Richards
3) Sachin Tendulkar

Shri

Mr. Glass
Lara would have been even better than Tendulkar if he had continued as an opener in ODIs till his retirement. Had a better attacking game to exploit the fielding restrictions.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Lara would have been even better than Tendulkar if he had continued as an opener in ODIs till his retirement. Had a better attacking game to exploit the fielding restrictions.
Tbf, his s/r as an opener wasn't that terrific either. In fact it's less than his overall career s/r.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
you gotta compare it with the S/R of his contemporaries of that time to get any real perspective, tbh...
Awta but my point was that still the s/r was nothing to write home about for an opener (lower 70's). Was replying to sree's point of 'taking advantage of field restrictions' :)

smash84

The Tiger King
Indeed. McGrath too, though he didn't quite play as long, but still - mid 90s to 2007 not a bad stretch, and the game did change a bit in that time.
lol.. think it makes Murali the most awesome, myself..
True. Wasim, and to a lesser extent McGrath and Murali had a lot of adapting to do and McGrath and Murali played almost all their cricket in a very batsman friendly era. These 3 are arguably the finest ODI bowlers of all time.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
True. Wasim, and to a lesser extent McGrath and Murali had a lot of adapting to do and McGrath and Murali played almost all their cricket in a very batsman friendly era. These 3 are arguably the finest ODI bowlers of all time.
Wasim and McGrath are the first two bowlers I'd put in my all time ODI side. I would be debating whether to play Warne instead of Murali, purely for the batting and cricketing mind that Warne had.

IMO the only players who should be in everyone's all time ODI XI are:

Tendulkar
Richards
Gilchrist
Wasim
McGrath

and even Gilchrist is debatable (some would place Dhoni ahead of him).

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best ever ODI batsman is Sachin Tendulker.Sachin Tedluker is " Master Blaster " and also "God Of the Cricket".Sachin is played 20 years carries and today he is good fitness and good selection of the short.He is also good human being also.
You have to love spambots who are so on topic.

Evilhoopler

U19 12th Man
Best ever ODI batsman is Sachin Tendulker.Sachin Tedluker is " Master Blaster " and also "God Of the Cricket".Sachin is played 20 years carries and today he is good fitness and good selection of the short.He is also good human being also.
shaunmedrik, Master Blaster is Viv Richards, Sachin Tendulker is the little master

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think he was as good as Tendulkar at milking runs in the middle overs, though. Lara's mindset was perfectly suited to attacking Test batting, a much more technically solid Sehwag, if you like.

Oh, and Gilchrist over Dhoni for me.

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Lara as an ODI opener was irresistble tbh. Say what u want about his short comings in the test arena

but Lara was very good to great vs ALL the great ODI bowling attacks of the 90s. EX: Donald and De

villiers, WW, MCWarne and co, Murali and co etc

Regrettably WI needed him in the middle order and he carried on with his ODI career way past his sell

by date. But make no mistake as an ODI opener BCL is up there with anybody