• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best(current) commentators

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wonderful that someone was willing to say what we're all thinking. Unlike Mr. Lemon though, I certainly didn't rate Clarke as a commentator, though I do concede that he provided more insightful comment than the woeful average maintained in the C9 box.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yup, wonderful article that.

Just when I thought I was the only person to think that James Brayshaw creep was nothing other than a misinformed, utterly irrelevant cheerleader who continues to show he knows about as much about the opposition team & cricket in general as the average Australian house-wife.

Do Australian's really want this pathetic excuse of a commentator in the com-box? I'd really be interested in the reaction form the Australian public on this.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Just when I thought I was the only person to think that James Brayshaw creep was nothing other than a misinformed, utterly irrelevant cheerleader who continues to show he knows about as much about the opposition team & cricket in general as the average Australian house-wife.

Do Australian's really want this pathetic excuse of a commentator in the com-box? I'd really be interested in the reaction form the Australian public on this.
He's fantastic with AFL footy, playing the blokey bloke. The point is that he was appointed because that was the direction that the producers/decision makers wanted to take. That's the problem in the first place, not JB himself.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's fantastic with AFL footy, playing the blokey bloke. The point is that he was appointed because that was the direction that the producers/decision makers wanted to take. That's the problem in the first place, not JB himself.
would also say being down on numbers because of the old guys leaving and Brayshaw already being signed at 9 + being an ex cricketer had a lot to do with it. They don't exactly case a wide net

burr

State Vice-Captain
Mark Butcher! I'm like a broken record on this forum but WHY doesn't he have a mainstream regular spot on a Sky Sports or some such. If anyone with any influence reads this forum pick him up! He is so good on anything I see/listen to. Case in point - predicting England's batting order switch up re: Ballance and Taylor way before it happened. His quality stands up particularly compared to his compatriot (on Cricinfo) and complete knob Dobell (seriously, is he the England cricket team's official pimp?)

burr

State Vice-Captain

As a cricket-obsessed woman, let me state James Brayshaw represents the very worst of a Channel 9 / Triple M should-be bygone male sporting culture. Nauseating.

langleyoscar

Cricket Spectator
Broadcasters take the easy way out by dumping ex players into the commentary box. But commentary requires a somewhat different, more literary skillset, in addition to knowledge of the game. Having players do guest spots for their insight is great but having to sit through subcontinental players drone on in their second, often third, language is painful. Unfortunately, it seems like a natural career progression for former cricketers these days.

Even studio presenters have gone potty over time. I remember people like Bruce/Brian Langley at Star Sports (then Prime Sports), John Dykes, even Charles Colville at Sky. They weren't astute readers of the game but they were low key and unabrasive with control over voice modulation. Subtlety has just gone out of the window over time.
I'm Oscar Langley, the son of Brian Langley. I completely agree. My father's life revolved around sport and he absolutely loved it. I remember him spending hours upon hours of research in front of the tv, watching sport on mute, calling friends around the world of different nationalities for correct name pronunciation (this was before the days of google), trying sports himself to understand what was really going on. Cricket was a sport he played as an adolescent and knew a lot about but he approached sports such as diving with the same professionalism and enthusiasm.

It's nice to read that after all these years, his work is still remembered!