• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Bowling Action

Slifer

International Captain
Prior to his back injuries, I always found Ian Bishop's action to be quite pleasing to the eye.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, agree with that. What a bloody amazing career he'd have had if he'd stayed fit. Possible all-time great.

smash84

The Tiger King
Prior to his back injuries, I always found Ian Bishop's action to be quite pleasing to the eye.
I remember a guy in my neighborhood always trying to copy Ian Bishop in his street cricket. And he copied him pretty well and could generate a lot of pace with that action. I thought it was funny that he could do that since Ian's action didn't make him look like one of the express bowlers. But boy he could be QUICK.

joels344

U19 Debutant
Some of my favorites:

Jim Laker
Freddie Trueman
Michael Holding
Shane Warne
Harold Larwood
Jeff Thompson
Andy Roberts
Shoaib Akhtar

bagapath

International Captain
Lillee an awesome sight running in.

Brett Lee could bowl super fast and I just loved his celebration style too.

Imran, the bowling action that inspired thousands to imitate him. I tried to copy it too tbh but it was really tough to copy it.
holding had a flowing, athletic run up from his bowling mark. so did waqar. they would approach the crease with the menacing but mesmeric beauty of a cheetah running towards its prey.

akram, lillee and, for a spinner, warne had a lot of power in their delivery stride at the crease. in the final few seconds, as they rolled their bowling arms, every muscle in their body would snap together, direct the collective energy towards the bowling hand and propel the ball with great force and control at the batsman.

kapil's action was fluid and beautiful; so was allan donald's. they achieved a geometric symmetry at the point of release that made it look like their actions had attained perfection and could not be improved beyond that point.

while all these styles were big steps in the general direction of a perfect bowling action, imran's jump was a giant leap for mankind. instead of slowing him down after that energetic run up, the leap actually created a few seconds of optical illusion that made it look like he had achieved a supernatural ability to defy gravity and remain suspended in air for eternity. then the thunderbolt delivered from heaven with that side on action woke you up from the illusion and you wondered how beautiful the whole performance was. the flowing hair, the hunch back, the gradually quickening run up, the small swift circles the cherry wielding right hand is making even while he is approaching the wicket at express speed, the stomach muscles knotting up, the pursed lips, then the giant leap for mankind and, finally, the thunderbolt. after the show, imran would fold his full sleeve - just once, not more, throw his hair back and walk back to his bowling mark with that Greek-godish arrogance. WAFG!

Last edited:

chicane

State Captain
Bishan Bedi's action was really smooth.

My favorites are a bit random. Always loved Shoaib's and McGrath's especially. Then Bond, Pollock, Warne, Kallis, Klusener, Srinath, Zaheer, RP, AA, Anderson, Simon Jones. Even liked Tait and Andre Nel's actions, which I know many think are ugly.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I really didn't enjoy McGrath's action as much as I should have when he was playing. Now when I see his old games I love his action. Simple, economical, accurate, effective etc; everything we don't have in this current bunch.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
while all these styles were big steps in the general direction of a perfect bowling action, imran's jump was a giant leap for mankind. instead of slowing him down after that energetic run up, the leap actually created a few seconds of optical illusion that made it look like he had achieved a supernatural ability to defy gravity and remain suspended in air for eternity. then the thunderbolt delivered from heaven with that side on action woke you up from the illusion and you wondered how beautiful the whole performance was. the flowing hair, the hunch back, the gradually quickening run up, the small swift circles the cherry wielding right hand is making even while he is approaching the wicket at express speed, the stomach muscles knotting up, the pursed lips, then the giant leap for mankind and, finally, the thunderbolt. after the show, imran would fold his full sleeve - just once, not more, throw his hair back and walk back to his bowling mark with that Greek-godish arrogance. WAFG!
A wonderful description of Imran's bowling action. I don't think even Sunny Gavaskar could have put it better. However after having faced Imran so many times in his career Sunny had this to say of Imran

"Imran Khan running in to bowl is a sight for gods"

Not too many better tributes could be paid for a lovely bowling action IMO

JBH001

International Regular
Ye. When you talk about beautiful off-spinners action. Jim Laker is the best example in test history i'd say.
You are forgetting Bishen Bedi. I also, for spinners, like Warne's very simple, uncomplicated yet powerful action.

Edit/ For fast bowlers I can't go past Waqar in his prime. Made me jizz my pants as a boy - even though I had nothing to jizz.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Always loved Marshalls' action growing up,John Snow had a great action as well. Out of the modern bowlers, it's Steyn and Jimmy.

slog sweep

Cricket Spectator
Holding is the Rolls Royce of fast bowlers, while Marshall was more like a Ferrari. They were both breathtaking to watch in full flight. Arguably, the two greatest fast bowlers of all time when you look at their impact, skills and ability to master all opponents in all conditions. Interestingly enough, they opened the bowling together in over twenty test matches and the West Indies lost on only one occasion, in a dead rubber.

Debris

International 12th Man
Holding is the Rolls Royce of fast bowlers, while Marshall was more like a Ferrari. They were both breathtaking to watch in full flight. Arguably, the two greatest fast bowlers of all time when you look at their impact, skills and ability to master all opponents in all conditions. Interestingly enough, they opened the bowling together in over twenty test matches and the West Indies lost on only one occasion, in a dead rubber.
How many were drawn though? Winnng percentage more relevant for bowlers, I imagine, and losing percentage for batsmen.

Last edited: