• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best batsman to partner Bradman

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I don't know. How often does he get hit charging the bowling these days? Sure, he has the comfort of padding but when he charges he seems to hit the ball.

Athlai

Not Terrible
All in jest TBH. Hayden transported in a time machine could be Bradman-like, yet Hayden born in Bradman era would have just been another Joe average. You can never tell how modern players would do way back when due to the development of the game that players of 'way back when' have influenced.

We'll never know and TBH it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyway, to the question at hand. I'd prefer to have a left/right combination at the batting crease, and somebody who Bradman could feel comfortable batting with. I'd choose Adam Gilchrist, because of his destructive nature which would also allow Bradman to be more relaxed with his batting and score at a fairly good rate.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
So the batsman would have to be, one or more of the foll :

1. A talented one to match Bradman, rather than a grafter
2. A hard-hitting one to complement DGB
3. A Left-handed one for the same reason

The names on the short-list would be Gary Sobers, Graeme Pollock, Brian Lara and I'm going to throw in Viv Richards for reasons 1 and 2.

Who do you think is ideal from the above illustrious list ?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, to the question at hand. I'd prefer to have a left/right combination at the batting crease, and somebody who Bradman could feel comfortable batting with. I'd choose Adam Gilchrist, because of his destructive nature which would also allow Bradman to be more relaxed with his batting and score at a fairly good rate.
Agree. For some reason an image of Gilly shoots up when thinking of a good partner to Bradman.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think you'd want someone who'd stick around for 4 sessions with him while the Don compiled a 250, and be very adept at turning the strike over to let Braddles have as much as possible or to help him out if he was ever struggling, plus be a superb runner between wickets to avoid running the great man out. I guess the left hander thing would be a bonus if those criteria are met.

I reckon Michael Hussey the way he's played in the last couple of years.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So the batsman would have to be, one or more of the foll :

1. A talented one to match Bradman, rather than a grafter
2. A hard-hitting one to complement DGB
3. A Left-handed one for the same reason

The names on the short-list would be Gary Sobers, Graeme Pollock, Brian Lara and I'm going to throw in Viv Richards for reasons 1 and 2.

Who do you think is ideal from the above illustrious list ?
Bradman scored at a brisk rate, especially for the time period. I don't necessarily think you need a hard-hitting one to partner him. I'd rather have someone who will stick around and keep rotating the strike more than going all out on a blitz. Someone who is a good athlete, plus is very good technically. That's why I said Sobers, who can hit out but can play sensibly as well, plus he can rotate the strike, and you'd get a right-left combination going.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bradman scored at a brisk rate, especially for the time period. I don't necessarily think you need a hard-hitting one to partner him. I'd rather have someone who will stick around and keep rotating the strike more than going all out on a blitz. Someone who is a good athlete, plus is very good technically. That's why I said Sobers, who can hit out but can play sensibly as well, plus he can rotate the strike, and you'd get a right-left combination going.
Hamish Marshall.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The reason I went for Tavare is that I dont want a distraction from the Bradman show. Someone that can stay there whilst I admire Bradman and isnt going to try and compete for the limelight

jeevan

International 12th Man
I think you'd want someone who'd stick around for 4 sessions with him while the Don compiled a 250, and be very adept at turning the strike over to let Braddles have as much as possible or to help him out if he was ever struggling, plus be a superb runner between wickets to avoid running the great man out. I guess the left hander thing would be a bonus if those criteria are met.

I reckon Michael Hussey the way he's played in the last couple of years.
Hussey is a good pick, especially for the right-left combo. Agree that Lara, Viv would have a hard time taking a backseat.

Among current good batsmen, possibly the most temparamentally suited at being in a support role is Rahul Dravid. Recall him in Kolkata in 2001 supporting Laxman and in 2004in Pakistan supporting Sehwag for the 410 run opening partnership.

Can rotate strike, safe runner, plus if the Don needed a breather or two - comptently take over the job of keeing the scoreboard ticking (something Tavare wont do). Places a big value on his wicket (as does Hussey).

All 3 (Bradman, Dravid, Hussey) seem to be very cerebral about the game - and that would be yet another thread that binds.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I selected Kallis cos I figured with his sound defensive technique and Bradman being well...Bradman it would make for a very depressing combination at the crease to bowl at.

:. Bradman + High scoring almost irremovable batsman with sound defensive technique(Jaques Kallis) = Long enduring partnerships that produce massive amounts of runs at a time

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
George Headley.

Would be happy enough with the best and 2nd-best batsmen of the 20th-century TBH. :)

And "The Black Bradman" batting with "The White Headley" would be quite something obviously. 8-)

Failing Headley I'd probably go for Vijay Merchant.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, was Rolleyesing that those terms were ever used. Says everything that anyone who used them these days would be jumped upon like a sack of potatoes.

Obviously, there are those who'd love to still be able to use them without being jumped upon like a sack of potatoes. 8-) And hence accuse those who've moved things on and outlawed such "casually" race-referential terms of kicking-up a fuss about nothing.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
George Headley.

Would be happy enough with the best and 2nd-best batsmen of the 20th-century TBH. :)

And "The Black Bradman" batting with "The White Headley" would be quite something obviously. 8-)

Failing Headley I'd probably go for Vijay Merchant.
I think you might find Bradman and Headley a bit disturbing. They'd both dominate the bowling and the scoring rate would be well above 2.9. Not really an "even contest between bat and ball."