• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best 5 Wicketkeeper Batsman Of Modern Era

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
His standards seemed to dip in the mid to late 90s, his keeping in his last ever series away in the West Indies 97/98 was ragged at best but he really came into his own again when Gloucs became the premier one day outfit in the country. By far the best I've ever seen standing up to the quicks.
Robelinda to post Russell's stumping of Dean Jones off the bowling of Gladstone Small in 1990/91?

OMM!

U19 12th Man
Not sure Matt Prior batting below Tim Ambrose in a few games 8 years ago suggests Prior wouldn't average more without the gloves.

For me, if Prior batted at 6 for England in his next 25 Tests without the gloves, he'd average 50+ no trouble. He'd improve so much!

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
By the way, as a Pakistani Fan, I have always heard about Rashid Latif being an 'awesome' keeper.
How is he rated here? compared to keepers like Jack russel, only based on their keeping and not their batting abilities.
Also Moin Khan?

OMM!

U19 12th Man
Some vital statistics for all Test keepers with 15+ appearances since 1990....

Batting Averages of Keepers Since 1st January 1990:-
1. Andy Flower: 53.70 (4404 Runs and 12 Hundreds)
2. Adam Gilchrist: 47.60 (5570 Runs and 17 Hundreds)
3. Matt Prior: 44.71 (2549 Runs and 6 Hundreds)
4. Kumar Sangakkara: 40.48 (3117 Runs and 7 Hundreds)
5. MS Dhoni: 38.14 (3242 Runs and 4 Hundreds)
6. Brad Haddin: 37.84 (1930 Runs and 3 Hundreds)
7. Alec Stewart: 34.92 (4540 Runs and 6 Hundreds)
8. Brendon McCullum: 34.77 (2782 Runs and 5 Hundreds)
9. Tatenda Taibu: 31.00 (1457 Runs and 1 Hundred)
10. Kamran Akmal: 30.79 (2648 Runs and 6 Hundreds)

And yet some would still have Boucher and Stewart ahead of Prior?!

Howe_zat

Audio File
For those who followed his career, what is it about Stewart that made keeping affect his batting record so much?

OMM!

U19 12th Man
Probably because he was a very natural talent as a batsman, whereas he was a terribly untalented wicket-keeper (possibly an exaggeration both ways, but you get my point!)

He had to work so hard on his keeping to get it up to standard, his batting suffered completely. Whereas Prior always had the natural tools, great hands, athletic etc.

Prior's problem was footwork and starting position. Which can be rectified with effort, but not hours and hours of work. Stewart had to essentially learn the art as a whole!

So Prior could still work on his batting and keeping, whereas Stewart had to concentrate on his keeping far more!

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
1) Adam Gilchrist
2) Andy Flower
3) Matt Prior
4) Kumar Sangakkara
5) Mark Boucher

472) Kamran Akmal

Lol MS Dhoni, he couldn't catch a cold.

pskov

International 12th Man
To my mind the key thing was it stopped him opening regularly.
Yeah that's what first came to my mind.

Batting in the top 3

Keeping - 19 inns, 38.68 ave, 2 hundreds, 4 fifties

Not Keeping - 80 inns, 46.48 ave, 9 hundreds, 18 fifties

Batting positions 4-7

Keeping - 113 inns, 33.84 ave, 4 hundreds, 19 fifties

Not keeping - 10 inns, 48.75 ave, 0 hundreds, 4 fifties

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Boucher was labelled as a great gloveman. But that was until he got to keep Murali in the super test. Boucher struggled against three great spinners of the era in front of the wicket, and expected to the same against behind it as shown in the super test. Similarly Rusell never kept to a spinner of great quality, and as Boucher was struggling when he faced them. Can remember how akward was Russell against Mushtaq Ahmed. So don't expect him to do against spin well. Any fool can keep to medium pacers, and it's spinners and really quick men that test you out. At least boucher kept to two or three superbly quick bowlers, and Russel rarely kept to pacemen of that calibre. Simply, if don't play spin well, don't expect to keep to them as well. PJ for me, is leaps and bounds ahead Boucher and Russel when it comes to keeping to spin.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
By the way, as a Pakistani Fan, I have always heard about Rashid Latif being an 'awesome' keeper.
How is he rated here? compared to keepers like Jack russel, only based on their keeping and not their batting abilities.
Also Moin Khan?
Easily the best against spin, and might be the best ever keeper when it comes to keeping spin. Picking Saqlain when every one was ****ting in the pants against him is no mean feat.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Boucher was labelled as a great gloveman. But that was until he got to keep Murali in the super test. Boucher struggled against three great spinners of the era in front of the wicket, and expected to the same against behind it as shown in the super test. Similarly Rusell never kept to a spinner of great quality, and as Boucher was struggling when he faced them. Can remember how akward was Russell against Mushtaq Ahmed. So don't expect him to do against spin well. Any fool can keep to medium pacers, and it's spinners and really quick men that test you out. At least boucher kept to two or three superbly quick bowlers, and Russel rarely kept to pacemen of that calibre. Simply, if don't play spin well, don't expect to keep to them as well. PJ for me, is leaps and bounds ahead Boucher and Russel when it comes to keeping to spin.
Complete crap. Russell kept to Courtney Walsh for something like 15 seasons.

He also kept a lot to Devon Malcolm and Syd Lawrence (with whom he played for Gloucestershire) who were both very quick and quite inaccurate. Which is some respects is a tougher proposition than keeping to accurate quick bowlers.

Last edited: