• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ben Stokes vs Ravi Ashwin

Who wins the allrounder battle?

• Total voters

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nobody seems to have mentioned fielding and the fact that when England are struggling it is Stokes that often sparks them back into life, even if he's not directly involved in it.

Stokes stats aren't particularly special, except for the fact that he averages 59 with the bat and 21 with the ball this year. So obviously if he's continues performing anything like that level then his overall stats will improvement tremendously.

Ashwin is a very shrewd, effective bowler. But I expect his bowling to tail off a bit, not least stats wise - particularly when he bowls on less dust bowls. He's not a very good fielder and his batting is inflated by who he has played against. He's a good number 8 or a poor number 7 - well unless you're England.

Above all else I would back Stokes to perform against the best in any conditions, and do more to drag his team to victory. He has just the ability to perform at an exceptionally high level in any discipline, and he's getting better at doing it consistently.

Last edited:

listento_me

U19 Captain
Man this is a tough one. Both are good additions to any team out there but Ashwin has a real edge in his test career so far and I would trust him with the ball a lot more than stokes...having said that, Stokes is a great striker of the ball and very useful in ODIs to clinch a win or post a score.

I'll edge it Ashwins way for now...although I'm not sure if he's a genuine all rounder.

Put it this way, if I was playing tests I'd pick Ashwin but in ODIs, it would be Stokes.

anil1405

International Captain
Ben Stokes ODI career so far is pretty ordinary to say the least. It won't end that way but as it stands nothing much to speak of.

Shady Slim

International Coach
nah come on guys we can settle on his roundness imo

stokes definitely the better allrounder but anywhere not named australia, south africa, new zealand or england i'd take ashwin