• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI to ask for ban on sledging

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But we don't mind when an offical wins us games (Not many people do) You have to take the good with the bad
No, you don't have to do anything of the sort. The public can criticise a player for performing poorly, but can't apply the same microscope to an official's performance? Sorry, but that's just not right. On the rare occassions when a referee/umpire/whoever actually does change the result of the game through his decision making, then any complaints about that are perfectly justified.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
No, you don't have to do anything of the sort. The public can criticise a player for performing poorly, but can't apply the same microscope to an official's performance? Sorry, but that's just not right. On the rare occassions when a referee/umpire/whoever actually does change the result of the game through his decision making, then any complaints about that are perfectly justified.
So it's a case of "YAY we won (when we didn't deserve to)" and "That %^$%$ offical cost us the game I hate him" ?

Perm

So it's a case of "YAY we won (when we didn't deserve to)" and "That %^$%$ offical cost us the game I hate him" ?
No, because most gracious cricket fans will acknowledge that the officiating was abysmal if it decides the outcome of the game.

Son Of Coco

BCCI to ask for ban

Well, unlike throwing a hissy fit and threatening to go home, this is a legitimate course of action to change a rule.

I was previously in favor of sledging, but now I have to agree that players should shut the hell up and play the game. Especially as usual banter has been replaced by foul mouthed morons with no sense of wit.
Are they going to press for a ban on hissy fits and threats to go home too? :happy: Bans on holding an international sporting body to ransom would be nice too.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Are they going to press for a ban on hissy fits and threats to go home too?
I'd hope so, but I doubt it. Their attitude seems to be pretty much that since 'you guys treated us like crap for seventy years, now its our turn to return the favor', which is obviously not conducive to moving forward.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
ICC pledges to eliminate sledging
By Paul Fletcher

The International Cricket Council wants umpires to adopt a zero-tolerance approach to sledging after an appeal by the Indian board to introduce a ban.

In other words, they're moving in the right direction.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
ICC pledges to eliminate sledging
By Paul Fletcher

The International Cricket Council wants umpires to adopt a zero-tolerance approach to sledging after an appeal by the Indian board to introduce a ban.

In other words, they're moving in the right direction.
Looks like they didn't adopt any rules though. Let's see what the umpires do. My concern is that when India/Pakistan play and players sledge in Hindi/Urdu, what will happen?

I would have liked to implement a 'Shut the **** up and play the ****ing game' rule, but obviously they chose not to do that.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Well, I didn't expect major changes overnight. Things take time. With the 'zero-tolerance' message, teams should take heed or suffer the consequences. Using a different language doesn't absolve them of anything. If caught and proven, then punish.

social

Well, I didn't expect major changes overnight. Things take time. With the 'zero-tolerance' message, teams should take heed or suffer the consequences. Using a different language doesn't absolve them of anything. If caught and proven, then punish.
Precedent has been set - must be caught by stump mikes or said in front of 2 umpires (1 could be accused of mishearing what was said) and said in a language that all parties understand

It's called the "harby" defence

In other words, nothing has changed

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
Precedent has been set - must be caught by stump mikes or said in front of 2 umpires (1 could be accused of mishearing what was said) and said in a language that all parties understand

It's called the "harby" defence
Its also called the "delibrately provoke opposition player and walk away scott-free adjusting halo on head" defence.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Harby hasn’t set a precedent for anything.

Innocent until proven guilty has been the acceptable standard eons ago. The fact that he got off due to lack of evidence doesn’t mean that others will.

The dynamics of another exchange could very well result in a conviction and which cricketer would be willing to take that risk after this clear ‘zero-tolerance’ message.

social

Harby hasn’t set a precedent for anything.

Innocent until proven guilty has been the acceptable standard eons ago. The fact that he got off due to lack of evidence doesn’t mean that others will.

The dynamics of another exchange could very well result in a conviction and which cricketer would be willing to take that risk after this clear ‘zero-tolerance’ message.
Cricket will remain the same as it has been for the last 30+ years - sledging and plenty of it from virtually every team

"Zero tolerance" is already a dead issue - the Icc and BCCI has paid lip service to eradicating sledging and another issue will soon arise that will consign this one to the scrapheap (where it belongs)