• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI to ask for ban on sledging

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It can be friendly. Here are some examples :-

Trueman to some Aussie batsman as he was trying to close the pavilion gate : "Don't bother son, you won't be out there long enough."

Miandad asking for Doshi's Hotel Room number.

Miandad calling Huges as 'Bus conductor' and Huges saying 'Ticket Please' after getting his wicket.

Recently Sangakkara sledging Pollock /

There are many more.
They're all pretty good, tbf. Notice that none of them are particularly vulgar in the language used, or really personal.
As a lot of other posters have noted, though, what might not be personal to one person may well be for another.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's that? You can't stand a Pakistani player? What a shocker! The humor was not to your liking (though it apparently achieved its purpose), that's fair enough. That's not the point I was making. The point is that it was non-abusive, and a type of sledging that is acceptable IMO and should be allowed. As opposed to the in-your-face profanity laden tirades that happen so often these days.
You do know that it was psychological warfare (for which Miandad was rightly famous)?

How can you condone the continued repetition of a phrase (base upon a sledge that has been used ad nauseum in history btw) designed specifically to put the opposition off their game whilst sanctioning a bowler for swearing in frustration?

Makes zero sense unless we are in the sandpit

social

Let me guess, sledges lile 'Everytime I **** your wife she gives me biscuit' or 'In our culture we say **** off' or 'what does Brian Lara's dick taste like' etc are very entertaining sledges and define the high standards of sledging all over the world.

Ofcourse Javed should have picked those 'Maa Ki', 'Behen Ki' abuses and that would have been perfect way of sledging. Not to forget, by doing that he would have earned your respect.
First sledge definitely should be allowed - if taken in its' context it is regarded by many (including the bowler) as one of the funniest moments in history

The second shouldnt and wasnt

Jury is out on the other phrases - Harby got away with it so I assume it's ok

Dusty Lee

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
They're all pretty good, tbf. Notice that none of them are particularly vulgar in the language used, or really personal.
As a lot of other posters have noted, though, what might not be personal to one person may well be for another.
There are so many cases of the aggressor being shut down by a good come back, and if the comeback happens to upset you then you shouldn't start it.

eg
Glenn McGrath asked Eddo Brandes how come he was so fat. Brandes replied "because every time I **** your wife she gives me a biscuit". McGrath got shut down.

Glenn McGrath - What does Brian Lara's **** taste like?
Ramanesh Sarwan - I don't know ask your wife
Glenn McGrath - You mention my f*cking wife again and i'll rip your f*cking throat out!
McGrath got shut down and didn't like it, well if you can't hack it don't start it.

As Cullinan was on his way to the wicket, Warne told him he had been waiting 2 years for another chance to humiliate him. "Looks like you spent it eating," Cullinan retorted.
Warne got shut down in that one, fair enough.

I guess what I am saying if your prepared to start it be prepared for a response you might not like and if that happens cop it sweet.

After going past the outside edge with a couple of deliveries, Pollock told Ponting: "It's red, round and weighs about five ounces. "Unfortunately for Pollock, the next ball was hammered out of the ground. Ponting to Pollock: "you know what it looks like, now go find it." That's my favourite and IMO theres no harm in that sort of Sledging.

I think sledging has its place but keep it clean and not personal.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
You do know that it was psychological warfare (for which Miandad was rightly famous)?

How can you condone the continued repetition of a phrase (base upon a sledge that has been used ad nauseum in history btw) designed specifically to put the opposition off their game whilst sanctioning a bowler for swearing in frustration?

Makes zero sense unless we are in the sandpit
The first can be classified as extremely annoying (which is exactly the purpose) while the second is personal abuse. There is a difference between the two. I'm simply stating that any non-abusive "psychological warfare" is ok IMO. However, if it comes down to making a choice about either having no sledging (abusive or otherwise) or the "anything goes" environment of today, I'll take the former.

Fusion

Global Moderator
After going past the outside edge with a couple of deliveries, Pollock told Ponting: "It's red, round and weighs about five ounces. "Unfortunately for Pollock, the next ball was hammered out of the ground. Ponting to Pollock: "you know what it looks like, now go find it." That's my favourite and IMO theres no harm in that sort of Sledging.
Viv Richards and Greg Thomas tbh. :)

Burgey

Viv Richards and Greg Thomas tbh. :)
Yep, the point is a valid one though - you can say some funny things which aren't personal. Mate of mine at our club (who now coaches a 1st grade side in Sydney) reckons the stuf that gets said in grade cricket is just rubbish. No wit about it, typically just "you're this, you're that" sort of stuff.

Same bloke gave a quality quip once - he came out to bat wearing a helmet, the colours on which were the club's, maroon and gold, in quarters. Looked like a jockey's helmet tbh.

As he walks in, bloke at slip says "What race are you in?". Our bloke takes guard, looks at the field, and as the bowler is about to run in, turns around and says "Human. What about you?"

Even the fielders had a gigge at that one

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: Quality Burgey.

It's been mentioned a few of times but I must have missed it somewhere along the line - what was Sanga's sledge to Pollock?

social

When Insults Had Class - for those that argue sledging and personal abuse is a recent phenomenon

These glorious insults are from an era when cleverness with words was still valued, before a great portion of the English language got boiled down to 4-letter words, not to mention waving middle fingers.

- Exchange between Churchill & Lady Astor: She said, 'If you were my husband I'd give you poison,' and he said, 'If you were my wife, I'd drink it.'

- Member of Parliament to Disraeli: 'Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease.' 'That depends, Sir,' said Disraeli, 'on whether I embrace your policies or your mistress.'

- 'He had delusions of adequacy.' - Walter Kerr

- 'He has all the virtues I dislike & none of the vices I admire.'-Winston Churchill

- A modest little person, with much to be modest about.' - Winston Churchill

- 'I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.' Clarence Darrow

- 'He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.' - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

- Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?' - Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)

- 'Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it.' - Moses Hadas

- 'He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know.' - Abraham Lincoln

- 'I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.' - Mark Twain

- 'He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.' - Oscar Wilde

- 'I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend.. if you have one.' - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

-'Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... if there is one.' Winston Churchill, in response.

- 'I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here.' - Stephen Bishop

- 'He is a self-made man and worships his creator.' - John Bright

- 'I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial.' - Irvin S. Cobb

- 'He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness in others.' - Samuel Johnson

- 'He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up.' - Paul Keating

- 'He has the attention span of a lightning bolt.' - Robert Redford

- 'They never open their mouths without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge.' - Thomas Brackett Reed

- 'He loves nature in spite of what it did to him.' - Forrest Tucker

- 'Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.' - Oscar Wilde

-'I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.' - Groucho Marx

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Exactly. Now a days, its mostly **** this and **** that. It's crass and ridiculously inane. Get rid of it or legalize fighting. Because it takes a special kind of a coward to act all tough when you know the other guy won't hit you.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Exactly. Now a days, its mostly **** this and **** that. It's crass and ridiculously inane. Get rid of it or legalize fighting. Because it takes a special kind of a coward to act all tough when you know the other guy won't hit you.
Exactly.
In Ice-Hockey, the number of fights have been curtailed due to the imposition of new penalties, such as the instigator rule which penalizes more severely the one who initiates the fight. Bench clearing brawls are now a thing of the past.

The same arguments used then and being used now in cricket. Let off steam, boys will be boys, lets have a little fun...

When I was 'keeper for many years, I (as did my mates) afforded the batsmen complete respect and did our best to get him out thru fair means. Anything less than that would be nothing to celebrate about nor achieve any sense of satisfaction.

Remember the moment you open your mouth and get personal, you leave yourself and your teammates open to reciprocation. And you dont dictate the terms or the crudity of that retaliation.

Top_Cat

Exactly.
In Ice-Hockey, the number of fights have been curtailed due to the imposition of new penalties, such as the instigator rule which penalizes more severely the one who initiates the fight. Bench clearing brawls are now a thing of the past.
The situations aren't analogous. It's far easier to determine who threw the first punch than policing what people say. The instigator rule only polices first physical contact, not what was said in the lead-up. Why? Because it would be impossible to monitor all of the verbals between hockey players, which jibe was aimed at whom, cultural issues, etc. Same as out on the cricket pitch.

As for bench-clearing brawls, I would think you give the new rules too much credit; the threat of litigation by players who get their jaws broken would be a more salient deterrant.

I myself have never sledged anyone, I'm neither here nor there on the issue. I've been on the receiving end just about every time I've batted and I just laugh it off because no matter how aggro it gets, I just can't forget it's still a game so I know the bowler/fielders are just trying to put me off rather than actually trying to insult me. My issue is with over-officious ruling by the ICC which seeks to do little more than give the appearance of action on an issue which, on the scale of problems cricket has, ain't exactly at the top (I reserve the issue of Zimbabwe, corruption, match-fixing, etc. higher on the list). It'd be a nightmare to officiate if all sledging is banned as the whole Maa Ki/Monkey thing demonstrates.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
The point I'm making is that you have 2 choices. Do something. Or do nothing. They did something in hockey. Reduced the amount of fighting.
They should do something in cricket. Reduce the amount of yapping.

I'm not naive, I dont expect all verbals to be eliminated. But anything racial, foul language and culturally insensitive material can be targeted.

If you dont move towards this direction, then the alternative is the other direction. And we all know where that would lead.

Top_Cat

I'm not naive, I dont expect all verbals to be eliminated. But anything racial, foul language and culturally insensitive material can be targeted.
Assuming the umpires speak the langue being spoken on the field, of course.

If you dont move towards this direction, then the alternative is the other direction. And we all know where that would lead.
Where? Why does everyone assume fights will break out when they haven't for the past 100+ years of Test cricket? People are less considerate these days? Media beat-up in my view, much like how Gen Y'ers are being targeted right now as Gen X'ers were, Baby Boomers before them, etc. Why assume the worst when the conditions for it to occur have existed to a greater degree in the past and nothing physical has happened? Kids and adults in Australia these days are the most heavily educated in cultural awareness and tolerance of any generation in Australia's history, contrary to what the Rudd government is telling us, Aussies are drinking and fighting less, violent crime has decreased worldwide, etc. Per capita, people are less violent overall. No-one is saying it's good, of course, but it's better.

Y'know what's increased? Media, in ubiquity, scope and frequency. Leaps and bounds, in fact. People read the same story on ten websites, see it on 10 news channels and think any given problem is 50 times worse than it really is. So yeah, I thoroughly dispute this notion that we're on a road to violence on the cricket field, despite the rather rampant Henny Penny-ism that exists in this thread and others.

So, solution? In my opinion, there does exist a need for administration of offensive behaviour on the field so, just as in real life, let the person offended raise the concern. The onus on those who are offended by poor language should be to take it all the way to a formal complaint, knowing that a formal complaint is and should be a big deal and will be treated as if a court case (the ICC needs to step up here too). If they're not prepared to do it then, maybe the player concerned should examine just how deeply they feel about it.

Over the years, I've heard/read/seen many complaints about behaviour from players from all countries (yes, Australia too, sometimes more so than others) and it kills me when these complaints are given air time but there's almost nothing in terms of substantiation for them. They're literally gossip. If I have a complaint about the behaviour of a co-worker, the amount of paperwork/arbitration I have to go through is incredible and it should be the same for elite sportsmen. Put up, or shut up. That's the way it works in real life for the rest of us. A claim of any serious sort on the cricket field (racism, etc.) should be judged on its merits and no presumption of any sort should be put forward until the process occurs.

Perm

As for NZ rugby fans: biggest wimps ever IMO. All that bleating after the WC
Not without justification, might I add. It went too far at times, and I've been very critical of the rugby public in the past, but 'we' had every right to be annoyed that an official cost us a match with his decisions. Not too different to the Bucknor debacle just a little while ago.

Perm

So if a batsman plays a horrible wafty drive with no footwork, and his team are 3/15, the slips fielder will not be allowed to say something like "yeah real smart buddy, try it again?"

That'll be banned? Ridiculous IMO.

If he said "yeah real smart c-word, try it again", then by all means punish him. Just make it simple, no abuse. I realise there are cultural differences, but educate the players FFS.
Couldn't agree more. A total blanket ban on any on-field talk is just stupid, and would lead to a massive part of the game being lost. Sledging is an art, and can actually win games for your team. However it seems thesedays that players have either forgotten how to sledge properly, or feel that a torrent of abuse is more acceptable and effective, which it usually isn't.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Not without justification, might I add. It went too far at times, and I've been very critical of the rugby public in the past, but 'we' had every right to be annoyed that an official cost us a match with his decisions. Not too different to the Bucknor debacle just a little while ago.
But we don't mind when an offical wins us games (Not many people do) You have to take the good with the bad