• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Nincompoops

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay gentlemen. We are calling it a day for the opening contest. Here are the scores

Sunil Gavaskar : 11
John Emburey : 8
Glen McGrath : Zilch

Gavaskar moves to the next round.

Here is the next contest

1. Ricky We'll-have-a-bowl-mate" Ponting
2. Inzemaam "Inshallah-we'll-the-bat-first)" ul Haq (Champions Trophy semi final vs Windies, allegedly on Ganguly's advise)
3. Michael Slater for getting up and singing Khe Sanh with Jimmy Barnes with a glass or red in hand at the conclusion of the first Alan Border Medal night.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Pains me to do it, but I'll vote for Slater here. Love the guy, but while you had to laugh and say 'champion', it had to be followed immediately with 'nincompoop', especially given what was going on elsewhere in his life at the time.

I don't expect this will affect the outcome, the legend of Ponting's decision to bowl has far outstripped any basis in reality and will probably win the entire battle! :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'll go with Punter. Hindsight is always 20/20, as they say, but to me the decision was partly made out of hubris, which sways the day.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ponting here as well - lose one half of your attack so take the option which goes most towards nullifying the other half...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting reminds me of George Bush somehow. I think it may have to do with the fact that they both have a bit of a 'monkey-face'. But it has more to do with the fact that saying and doing the most dumb things comes so naturally to both of them and I am convinced its impossible for them to understand why others disagree.

Ponting for me too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well seems as he was my nomination, I have to vote Ponting. I hope he wins. Not often I say that about him!

Slow Love™

International Captain
Matt79 said:
Pains me to do it, but I'll vote for Slater here. Love the guy, but while you had to laugh and say 'champion', it had to be followed immediately with 'nincompoop', especially given what was going on elsewhere in his life at the time.

I don't expect this will affect the outcome, the legend of Ponting's decision to bowl has far outstripped any basis in reality and will probably win the entire battle! :)
You're probably right about this, although it has to be said there's plenty about Punter's captaincy to criticize apart from his unfortunate Ashes toss mishap. Mind you, I can't stand him, so I'm happy for nature to take it's course.

I'm not really familiar with the Slats Cold Chisel performance (what was so bad about it?) or the Inzy incident for that matter, so it'll have to be a default Ponting vote for me.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Akhtar and company had just ripped through India in the previous match. Just about any team batting first in that tournament was falling after making a small total. The conditions were perfect for an Akhtar special, yet Inzi decided to have a bat on Ganguly's advice.

Inzi for me.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Slow Love™ said:
You're probably right about this, although it has to be said there's plenty about Punter's captaincy to criticize apart from his unfortunate Ashes toss mishap. Mind you, I can't stand him, so I'm happy for nature to take it's course.

I'm not really familiar with the Slats Cold Chisel performance (what was so bad about it?) or the Inzy incident for that matter, so it'll have to be a default Ponting vote for me.
Just that he was obviously smashed at a formal team event, wasn't invited on stage, and had already dropped himself in it over other off-field (perceived and genuine) indiscretions. Not a smart thing to do.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry for the break folks.

Easy win for Ponting (8)

Next Battle

Darren Gough for pulling out of an England tour to participate in a dancing contest.

Salim Malik for his contacts with the 'book-keepers'

Malcolm Speed for making us do the unimaginable - wish MCC were running cricket again.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Gough. Should never have played for England again after that, just shows how desperate we are for "quality" ODI bowlers that he has.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm, still cant see what Gough did wrong.
He is effectively an independant contractor and decided to take another job rather than the one England offered. He made a good decision profile-wise and for his after cricket career. Hardly a silly choice. If I was in his position and brave enough to dance on TV, I could well have done the same. National cricket boards dont own their players. Also, didnt the dance thing come up after the decided not to go to Pakistan?

I guess it must be Malik. The involvement with bookies was a silly choice.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Goughy said:
Hmmm, still cant see what Gough did wrong.
He is effectively an independant contractor and decided to take another job rather than the one England offered. He made a good decision profile-wise and for his after cricket career. Hardly a silly choice. If I was in his position and brave enough to dance on TV, I could well have done the same. National cricket boards dont own their players. Also, didnt the dance thing come up after the decided not to go to Pakistan?
Bit of a coincidence though.

I don't like all this pick your tours nonsense, it's like Gerrard suddenly saying he doesn't fancy the Macedonia trip but will be available for Andorra at home. It's not the dancing show per se, fine to do it on your own time fair play, but not at the expense of an England tour. And if he wants to spend time with his family why did he become a cricketer? It's his job ffs, "soz can't come to work today cos I want to take Jeremy to the zoo". Balls. Many people would give their right arm for an England tour.

**** the French idiot.

Last edited: