• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Infamous

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Given that this thread is meant to be about picking players who inspire hatred I'm going for Gavaskar. Odious little twerp. For me Asif inspires more sadness and disappointment, rather than outright hatred.

BeardofAmla

Cricket Spectator
Might as well nominate 3 quarters of the SA team of that time too ;)
True. But Klusener cost Cronje thousands at the 99 World Cup. He sabotaged the batting line up only for Klusener to club a different result. Cronje was told to protect Gibbs as he was just as guilty as Cronje I believe. Even that drop catch........

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bailey - 5
Waugh - 4
Richards - 1

Bailey wins in a slow-scoring debacle.
First time I have read this thread but this is a serious WTF?

Bailey was boring BUT:

Steve Waugh is "allegedly" one of the biggest ****s ever to don the baggy green: and

Viv is "allegedly" a bona fide racist

Give me boring every time over these 2 "alleged" arseholes

ravnen

Cricket Spectator
Just found this forum and spent the afternoon going through this whole thread - entertaining stuff! Just don't say anything to the manager...

Good to see a certain IT Botham making a name for himself here. Always thought he was a bullying big-headed so-and-so who can't commentate for toffee. And that Grace fellow was a rum old cad of the first order, what what!

Somehow sense it's going to be a matchfixer who ultimately wins this though. Will enjoy how it unfolds...

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Round of 16, Battle 3

*Brushes cobwebs*

It appears popcorn stocks are soaring, so let's capitalise with a master vs. apprentice showdown:

Salman Butt (Pakistan)

Crimes:

- Evil enough to vanquish Shane Watson in Round 1
- Match/spot fixing/corruption in the core of his very soul etc.
- Giving a scoop to News of the World without them even needing to hack his phone
- Cronjesque tendencies in co-opting younger players to do his bidding

"I had always asked him to have his hair cut, but he never listened to me. Then how was he ready to do such a big thing [at my behest]?" - Butt on how he couldn't possibly have influenced Mohammad Amir to spot-fix

“It may be easy for some people to say that a five-year ban from cricket is all right but what they don’t realise is that for a sportsman like me – this is like a lifetime ban.” - Butt lays down the #yolo defence in his last stand against the ban, February 2013

"Dear Salman...you are a disappointment and a disgrace. Yet when I address you as "dear", it is not a hypocritical pleasantry." - Saan Shafqat

"I was so angry with Salman. He took advantage of my friendship. And I used to respect him like an elder brother." - Mohammad Amir

"They were the ones who actually approached me. This is the beauty of it. I was friends with them for four to five years, and then they said this happens. I said, 'Really?'" - Mazhar Majeed, the facilitating bookie who fell for the News of the World sting

Seriously, just **** off ****. As I understand it, you're as corrupt as Salman Butt.
How the hell can you con someone into cheating? "Yeah overstep your feet by about 3 yards, that's how the game works, and I'll pop in 10k into your account, sweet cheers"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

MQM support...debate in parliment..

and we're without electricity for upto 14 hours a day in most of the country...

oh pakistan
I've always liked tuna, dislike Salman, Butt
Can't believe how delusional buttocks is.
And the winner, from one of our more gullible moderators:
I remember one delivery Anderson bowled to Butt, pitched some way outside leg short of a length, looked to be heading down leg for all money, then suddenly decides to make a sharp powerslide turn and clips the outside edge of a fairly normal defensive stroke, goes straight to slip.

Salim Malik (Pakistan)

Crimes:

- Advertising liability to Brylcreem
- Darth Sidious of match-fixing
- Throwing away a 100-Test career to do so
- Demanding a job as Pakistan batting coach after all this miscellany
- How unfortunate
- Rashid Latif resigned in protest after hearing about Malik's lobbying for coach, then re-applied after Malik was told to **** off by PCB

"You know better than me." - Malik when asked if cricket in the 1990s was corrupt

"My first instinct was disgust that this low-life of a prick thought that loyalty to my country was for sale." - Steve Waugh after receiving an offer from Malik, before a match that Australia lost by one wicket

"Because they are white, I am sorry to say, and I am black I am out of cricket and they're still playing. There are many incidents. A couple of other white people are still playing. All the fault is with the Asian side." - Malik alleging racism in sport

"It was just like we are today," he said. "We were sitting in a room together...but the thing about white players is you can't trust them. The bastards have weird minds." - Malik proving racism in sport

"After being stuffed by 157 runs, Intikhab thought a group hug was in order. Latif told the court he was willing to embrace Malik but Malik 'did not respond positively.'" - Gideon Haigh

"A Test cricketer like me doesn't need any coaching course or any certificate. I have the ability to help the batsmen overcome their problems, which have been the main hurdle in team's performance." - Salim offers to help players cheat more efficiently

Just a massive, massive ****. Sporting of him to grow that villian's mo tho, just in case the audience are in any doubt who to boo.
Just because others were (probably) involved, doesn't make what Malik did any less unforgiveable.
Salim Malik is a known gambler . I have a friend here and Salim Malik owes him some money too ....
Salim Malik makes Hansie Cronje seem like an honest man
Winner is a double-whammy, though props to a one-post wonder for the setup:
Salim malik by some distance.Those who think he was a FTB probably didn,t watch him bat in Eng esp in leeds.
^ lol looks like Salim Malik just signed in to say that

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Real toughie actually. Both bent, so the decision rests on their other (de)merits.

I remember the weirdly hollow feeling on the Sunday of the 4th test after the NotW broke the "no-balls for sale" thing. England duly completed a massive victory, but it somehow didn't matter. Felt most sorry for Broad and Trott, who'd strung together a cricket innings when things looked to be heading south but which will be forever bracketed with the spot fixing.

On the whole tho, I think Malik was probably a malign influence on the Pakistan team and, indeed, Pakistani cricket, for longer than Butt was.