• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bandwagon Fan

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Show other examples on the forum of when I have had random pathetic outbursts. The only one outbursting over me so far has been you over the past month. I'll not carry on with this convo. It is pointless.
Funniest edit ever

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I don't get this categorising of fans business.I think all fans are equal.

Whether they can or do visit matches or not.
I was awake last night till 7 am to watch a Manchester United Friendly against a US club formed 6 months ago on a dodgy stream.
Don't think it makes me any better or worse than any other fan ,even a Manchester based fan who went to sleep and chose to not watch it.

I have had to co-ordinate visits, Arrange finances and whatnot to watch 4 matches in the stadium involving Manchester United living in India (And as a 19 yr old) ,don't think it makes me less or more "hardcore" than someone who visits every match involving the club and lives in Manchester. Not that i care about the term "Hardcore" but it certainly does not make me more or less of a fan.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
These guys went to Exeter's last game or two, just in the hope to see them relegated.
I would expect that's what they wanted you to think.

More likely, they desperately wanted a real Devon team in League One instead of the shower of Cornish ****e they've had to put up with watching.

That or they're just *****.

cpr

International Coach
TBH, most hardcore fans end up being muppets.

People who'll spend their last penny supporting the club, live, breathe the club, talk football constantly, argue over every point and debate...... **** off, far more to life. Usually really dull people to know too.

I'd happily go to every united game, if it wasnt £40 a ticket, because its not worth it at that price. If I was earning a lot more than I do, i'd justify it

I'm gutted when they lose, absolutely devo. But its not my life. I didn't sit up until god knows what time to watch a friendly, unlike the guy i sit next to. I'm not going to spend £40 on a gloryfied t-shirt every 2 years (might treat myself though, if i can afford it - wont do it because i feel i must.). I'm an avid fan, but never call myself hardcore, and never want to be

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree with that, would never call myself a hardcore fan associate it with an unhealty level of devotion.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Agree with that, would never call myself a hardcore fan associate it with an unhealty level of devotion.
Yeah, a few years back I had that unhealthy level of devotion, but a woman and kids made me step back a bit. I do have mates that still carry on with it after having kids, fair play to them, but I've seen it split up relationships and what not. Not saying it's right or wrong, I have had plenty of fights with plenty of women about me going the footy instead of being with them but ultimately is going to Gillingham on a Tuesday night worth splitting with your family over?

I do love it when I'm at every game though, those seasons I've done it were epic. Bumping into players at service stations and they actually recognised you. One of the reasons I kinda like being in the lower leagues, I guess.

stumpski

International Captain
This thread just makes me think of all those people who suddenly remembered their lifelong love of cricket in the summer of 2005. And who have hardly seen a match since.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just on this, one thing I've always wondered about "franchise" leagues, like AFL, is where they draw their support from for expansion teams. Adelaide started relatively recently and I imagine a lot of SA Aussie Rules fans like yourself had already pledged their troth to an SANFL side or got behind an existing AFL team.

Just wondered how you felt about Adelaide (I'm assuming you're anti Port here, given their SANFL history) yourself and where the Crows mainly draw their fanbase from.
Not much of a football fan, myself. People I know who are, though, supported either VFL teams or non-Victorian teams until Adelaide came in in 1991. Adelaide was a compendium of a few local amateur league teams (not SANFL) so they were only drawing fans on the basis of being SA's first AFL team rather than from existing SANFL fan base. Port Adelaide tried to be SA's first AFL team, their application fell through but I guess they figured it was a matter of time so their fans held off until they got in around '96 (?). Very few people support an SANFL team exclusively in my experience.

Adelaide with vastly more fans/money in the end, though. Regularly sell out local games whereas, even when doing well, Port Adelaide struggles to sell 3/4 of the stadium. In theory, any SA team could make a case to be an AFL team. In practice, I think there's really only room in SA for two teams. Central Districts have utterly dominated the SANFL for a while now, losing only two grand finals in the last 10 years but I coudn't see them making a bid for the AFL and there's been no rumblings to suggest as much.

pasag

RTDAS
Just came across a reference to an 1999 article by Hunt et al classifying sports fans:

Temporary Fan
Fan for a specific time-bound event such as a home run chase

Local Fan
Bounded by geographical constraints e.g. support local team

Devoted Fan
The object is used to maintain self-concept, so that they are loyal in bad times and attend regularly

Fanatical Fan
Move beyond the devoted fan in, for example, going to games in costume. Fan-don is a very important part of self-identification, but at least one other aspect of life (family, work, religion) is more important.

Dysfunctional Fan
Fandom is primary means of self-identification and is the main method of identification to others. Different from the Fanatical Fan not by degree of self identification, but by anti-social behaviour, ie hooliganism

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Would have myself hovering between Devoted and Fanatical at various times over the last twenty years (ugh I am getting old fast). Closer to Devoted currently.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have the personality of a devoted fan but the emotional investment of a dysfunctional fan.

I'd have thought that would describe Corrin quite well too :p.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not sure how I would classify myself really. Supporting a team like Arsenal makes it difficult to attend on a regular basis due to the various expenses that would be incurred, but that said, I do make the effort to go when I get the chance and I can afford it. Between the ages of about 12 and 19 I would say I was a devoted fan of sorts. I would follow any game and be genuinely low after a poor performance or a defeat. However, now that I am older, I would say that I have taken a step back quite some way and would actually consider myself slightly more mature. I take a much less keen interest in it these days, as others have previously alluded to I would say maintaining a really intense approach to these things is probably not healthy. Nowadays I still follow Arsenal a lot, but don't always make a point of watching every single match (though this is down to having other committments rather than anything else), but will always take the opportunity if it arises. The biggest change for me is that I no longer actually feel sad about a bad defeat or result, generally the worst for me will be a sense of annoyance which will linger for a while whilst I walk home from the pub or whatever. That said, watching them can still be a very emotive experience, there were a couple of times last season when I was well and truly up out of my chair whilst watching (the Ramsey leg break and the CL first leg against Barcelona being the two most notable occasions). I wouldn't preach to anyone else about what level of support or dedication they ought to have whilst following their team, but for me personally, if I were to take it much more seriously than I currently do it would not really be very healthy.

duffer

The Hunt criteria is a tad outdated tbh. Sports fandom has grown way beyond the qualifiers he's using there.

Pothas

Would guess I am a devoted fan given that criteria, work means I cannot go as much as I did a couple of years ago but would still make at least 10 home games a season and a couple of away ones no matter how **** were are (which is most of the time.) But then again it is easy for me to get to games.