• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Balanced Averages Budget draft - ODI edition

Teuton

International Captain
As a follow-up to a draft from earlier his year i am proposing a re-boot of the balanced averages draft (http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/threads/balanced-averages-budget-draft.84226/), but for ODI teams.

In this draft, everyone starts a budget of 120, which reduces by the ODI batting average for each of your top 7*, but increases by the bowling average for each of your 5 best bowlers*. You must finish the draft with a balance of 0 or above.

A minimum of 10 ODIs, and all averages will be truncated to whole runs.

*determined by batting average & WPM respectively.

Post if you want in.

Teuton

International Captain
I will pre-answer some questions from the Test version:

I tried to keep the rules simple but it is probably best illustrated with an example

Everyone will have a balance after each pick

for example with random players:

say my 1st pick is AB de Villiers (bat avg 53), then my balance = 120 - 53 = 67
if my 2nd pick is Michael Slater my balance reduces again by 24 to 43
my 3rd pick is Graeme Swann whose bowling ave is 27 which increases the balance to 43 + 27 to 70

That's the best way of thinking about it, though it is really only the balance after R11 that counts (ie you can pick all batsmen first and go into debt so long as the bowlers you pick later get to a non-negative balance by R11.

Teuton

International Captain
Both the batting and bowling averages will count for all-rounders if they fall into the top 7 bats/top 5 bowlers. So if you pick multiple allrounders it is possible that there will be a player not in top 7 bats or top 5, but that doesn't really change anything.

Additionally it may be ambiguous if a player is going to be in the top 7/top 5 but again it doesn't really matter as the running balance is not actually used for anything. But i will keep a best guess record so we all know we are at.

anil1405

International Captain
In.

Haven't played the previous version of this draft but just wondering if you could limit the all-rounders to 3 for ODI version? Just in case if someone decides to go full HB and stack his side with ARs that might be an undue advantage in this particular draft considering that balance of averages.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In.

Haven't played the previous version of this draft but just wondering if you could limit the all-rounders to 3 for ODI version? Just in case if someone decides to go full HB and stack his side with ARs that might be an undue advantage in this particular draft considering that balance of averages.
So you finally see the light that allrounders bring balance to a cricket side. :p

And yes, in. And yes, bring on the allrounders.

Teuton

International Captain
It could be a tactic, but I dont know if its an advantage? I wouldn't vote for a team that doesn't have 4 or 5 wicket takers even in an odi draft. We can all pick those great allrounders so there will be plenty of competition if indeed it does make a better team.

Teuton

International Captain
other relevant notes/quotes from the previous version:
  • The top 7 dont have to bat there, its just for the calculations
  • and i think the rules as they are allow a number of different tactics (ie do you go for great bats but have to balance out with bad bowlers, or keep it even across both)
  • it's just the 7 best batting averages and 5 best WPMs, regardless of allrounderdom.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In this draft, everyone starts a budget of 120, which reduces by the ODI batting average for each of your top 7*, but increases by the bowling average for each of your 5 best bowlers*.
So there will be at least 1 player whose average will have + and - contribution, hence net zero?

Teuton

International Captain
So there will be at least 1 player whose average will have + and - contribution, hence net zero?
yes, at least 1 player will have both their batting and bowling averages count. but it wont be net zero in general but the differences between their averages will be relevant