• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

cnerd123

likes this
Cricket Australia have shot themselves in the foot and made themselves the laughing stock of world cricket.

But hey, atleast they've got that moral high ground right? "We actually punish our cheats unlike other nations cricket boards! Now we can continue to lecture you on the spirit of cricket whilst turning a blind eye to all the times our players breach it but aren't dumb enough to get caught and confess". Yup. Well done. Pat yourself on the back for that.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very poor and disappointing decision IMO.
Year is silly, 6 months was pointless given they were playing no tests in that time. A 2/3 test ban would have been enough to make the point CA want and still be deemed strong enough.

Seems a year ban is cutting off their nose to spite their faces.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
On a serious note, this is just ridiculous. 12 months ban for ball-tampering?? This is the board's attempt to show the world that "look, we took firm action". It's like giving someone a life sentence for a small robbery.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yup, excessive. Why is CA doing this to itself? They don't have anything to prove to anyone. It's not like we are going to stop calling Aussie cricketers ****s anyway.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Hope a pair of counties pick up Smith and Warner for the season. They'll need the cricket cause they're banned from Australian domestic cricket too. Would be the only good thing to come from this.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yup, excessive. Why is CA doing this to itself? They don't have anything to prove to anyone. It's not like we are going to stop calling Aussie cricketers ****s anyway.
The funny thing to come from all this is that they thought they were the good guys of cricket. Should just embrace the fact that their culture is to do anything they can to win.

anaksr

U19 Debutant
Hope a pair of counties pick up Smith and Warner for the season. They'll need the cricket cause they're banned from Australian domestic cricket too. Would be the only good thing to come from this.
Not sure whether counties accept cricketers banned by their respective boards.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
:-O Wow that's a harsh overreaction. I think the response of sponsors and possibility of lost millions from the TV deal being negotiated spooked CA.

Personally, I think the stigma of being branded cheats is more than enough punishment. They'll have to carry that for the rest of their careers. A token suspension for a handful of games is what I hoped they would get away with, as it's a real shame that basically the heart of the Australian batting lineup won't be available for a while. That diminishes cricket far more than ball tampering does imo.

Of course all my sympathy does evaporate the minute I see socail's whiny, whataboutery posts. "Waaaaah!!" Go cry about it some more, big guy.8-)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On a serious note, this is just ridiculous. 12 months ban for ball-tampering?? This is the board's attempt to show the world that "look, we took firm action". It's like giving someone a life sentence for a small robbery.
Yeah it's harsh. CA making it obvious they think there's more to it than this isolated event. Seems they want the opportunity to build a new culture/brand, hence the heavier 12 month sanctions.

Borges

International Regular
This is not for the rest of the world; this is a sacrificial offering for their domestic crowd which has been baying for blood.

I suppose the players would appeal, and better sense would prevail in the hearing.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Ban for Smith and Bancroft seems harsh. Warner getting a year I have no trouble with, but that's more an emotional response than an objective one.

One thing I wish people would realise, it isn't a year ban for ball tampering. FFS, it's gone beyond that.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cricket Australia have shot themselves in the foot and made themselves the laughing stock of world cricket.

But hey, atleast they've got that moral high ground right? "We actually punish our cheats unlike other nations cricket boards! Now we can continue to lecture you on the spirit of cricket whilst turning a blind eye to all the times our players breach it but aren't dumb enough to get caught and confess". Yup. Well done. Pat yourself on the back for that.
It shows how far up their own behind their heads are. Where the hell did this righteous idea that we are somehow moral arbiters come from? They've watched us play over the past, I dunno, hundred or so years?

What's their reaction going to be when someone from another country gets caught and merely serves out one match or no matches? Once again Australia are playing a team with someone who was caught, made captain in spite of this, and has been caught again. I'm sure Faf must feel reeeaaaaaalllllly smug right now. Getting Rabada off and now this. Must be like Christmas.

Shri

Mr. Glass
This is a pathetic over reaction. I didn't want them banned from the start and only wanted them to shut up about the spirit of the game. Now we will never see them get booed fresh after the incident, which sucks. Would have been fine just Lehmann being sacked with a change in leadership tbh. Hope Maxwell uses the opportunity to cement his spot in the XI, great bat.