• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Nice work - boneheaded Australian cricket team.

Mind you, this has been building up for decades. It's that persistent bone-jarring arrogance. You can just about get away with it when you're on top but when you're not on top - and backed into a corner - you still draw on its long history, still believe it's your right to be number 1, and finally end up doing something totally, unbelievably pathetic.
This post about the Aussie cricket team or about Manchester United fans? (face)

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Change in captains have to be approved by the CA board, so the CA board would have asked them to stand down

jan

State Vice-Captain
:(

Difficult to explain to junior after having annoyed him mightily with the awesomeness of test cricket and this series in particular.
Oh the two have stepped down only in terms of captaincy and go on playing?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Is this there a possibility that they're standing him down temporarily as a PR move while the dust settles down and will re-appoint him after the match/series?

vandem

International 12th Man
Who would have made the decision ?

Time zones would have made it slightly difficult too.

Sutherland was basically in tears.
Meh. Sutherland should have had the balls to make this call yesterday. Or at minimum get the message back to Smith that his position as captain may need to be reviewed, which would have stopped Smith's "I won't be considering stepping down" statement. (Note, I am assuming that Lehmann used the hour after play yesterday to try and talk the CEO. Hard to believe he wouldn't have escalated).

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Who would have made the decision ?

Time zones would have made it slightly difficult too.

Sutherland was basically in tears.
Sutherland's first response was Smith stays.

The reaction from Australian public, other sporting personalities and ultimately the Australian Government is what led to this.

This pretty much sums up what's rotten in cricket today. ICC is yet to charge anyone with anything. The umpires had even accepted Bancroft's explanation.

If the larger Australian society had not stood up and called it out for what it is, CA was fine to just pull a rug over everything

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
My god.....last person you want on comms with all this going on is Micky Holding.

I'm no fan of Steve Smith at all but I don;t want to see his career ****ed over this. There has to be a penalty but seriously I think a couple of tests out is probably appropriate.

Question is can he come back mentally from this? This really is ****ing huge and it will take a big character to get up and put it behind him. Does he have that character?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
This has been very interesting to watch as a neutral party. What a fascinating tour it's been. Not sure how to feel tbh.

G.I.Joe

International Coach

The reaction from Australian public, other sporting personalities and ultimately the Australian Government is what led to this.

This pretty much sums up what's rotten in cricket today. ICC is yet to charge anyone with anything. The umpires had even accepted Bancroft's explanation.

If the larger Australian society had not stood up and called it out for what it is, CA was fine to just pull a rug over everything
IIRC, Sutherland's immediate response was that Smith "currently" stays, which did strike me as being pregnant with meaning.

Bolo

State Captain

Full credit to the public on this. AUS fans deserve some sympathy both for being mistreated by their own team and for their reaction.

The institution of AUS cricket has behaved almost worse after the incident than during it. Claiming this was tape, refusal to resign, not offering a real apology, throwing Bancroft under the bus, protecting Lehman...

vandem

International 12th Man
.... ICC is yet to charge anyone with anything. The umpires had even accepted Bancroft's explanation...
Cricinfo story yesterday quoted Bancroft "I had discussions with the match officials, I've been charged with attempting to change the condition of the ball".

Don't know if there will be any action about Bancroft lying to the umps (pulling out the black cloth), assume the match referee can review. Tried to check the ICC code of conduct but file won't open.

Spark

Global Moderator
Meh. Sutherland should have had the balls to make this call yesterday. Or at minimum get the message back to Smith that his position as captain may need to be reviewed, which would have stopped Smith's "I won't be considering stepping down" statement. (Note, I am assuming that Lehmann used the hour after play yesterday to try and talk the CEO. Hard to believe he wouldn't have escalated).
Think blaming Sutherland for not using his time machine is a bit harsh

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Would be a shame if this means Smith won't play in the Wanderers test. Wanted SA to whittle down his average even further and totally dominate him with the ball. Oh well, easy come easy go :whistling.

vandem

International 12th Man
Think blaming Sutherland for not using his time machine is a bit harsh
You think the CEO had his phone off the hook yesterday? You think Lehmann didn't escalate in the extra hour between the end of play and the delayed press conference? Or you think that Smith hadn't told Lehmann what he was going to confess to in the presser?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The institution of AUS cricket has behaved almost worse after the incident than during it. Claiming this was tape, refusal to resign, not offering a real apology, throwing Bancroft under the bus, protecting Lehman...
Yes and the Australian public condemning them will hopefully ensure disgraceful behaviour from the cricket team is not explained with 'Aussie way' next time.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
What's up with this overreaction. I mean they did make a mistake, accepted it and are ready for whatever action the ICC/ACB takes against them. This doesn't need to be blown out of proportion. Smith and the others are bold enough to accept their mistakes.

For me, Smith's reaction to Rabada's shoulder brush was what deserved more attention, slyly trying to get direct negative attention to the key player of the opposition was a cowardly move. Obviously when he knew that it can get Rabada in trouble. Not the first time the Australians have done something like this.

Lehmann moaning about the crowd was stupid. Same Lehmann who wanted the Aussie crowds to make Stuart Broad cry. The Aussie crowds are hostile and racist, they shouldn't point fingers at others.

The ball tampering thing is just a stupid mistake. And the umpires were even more stupid to not change the ball. Batsmen not walking when the umpire wrongly gives them notout is also blatant cheating, but it's fine because everyone does it. All "cheating incidents" should be treated equally IMO. You can't make a lot of noise for one thing and allow the other things to pass.

Last edited: