• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is like Birthday and Christmas all at once..........it's only 11am but **** it I'm gonna have a beer:D
I have had plenty seeing as my lot went top of the league and this was breaking at the same time. Doubt I will see many raindrops in Auckland.

vandem

International 12th Man
... Looks like they’re setting up Bancroft as the fall guy. Looking like Smith might have to stand down.
Smith was clear at the press conference that he wasn't intending or expecting to stand down. Note that there was an hour delay before the conference, so plenty of time to discuss the issue with coach and management team.

From the Cricinfo story: ""No, I won't be considering stepping down. I still think I'm the right the person for the job," Smith said."

flibbertyjibber

Imagine how salty they will be later today if English sporting hero (ignoring the fact nobody likes him) Lewis Hamilton wins the Grand Prix on one of the darkest days for Australian sport.

morgieb

To call any doubt over the Ashes is utterly moronic. Typical English sour grapes, get over yourselves.
But it's hard to believe it's only a one-off. Given the circumstances behind the series I can see why it would only be a one-off, but it also brings doubt over anything even remotely suspicious Australia have been involved with under Smith. The only way to get over it is by completely dismantling the leadership group and give the captaincy to someone untainted by this saga.

Think what Pakistan did post-spot fixing gate. Now spot fixing is a more serious offence than ball tampering, but in terms of public trust both in and out of Australia the effect feels very similar. After the spot fixing saga Pakistan had to appoint a 36 year old with a modest Test record and out of the team just to restore even some dignity in the side. What happened was that they went to #1 and became one of the more respected teams in world cricket. It's possible to get out of this, but given this was combined with Australia's poor on-field conduct....it's gonna take a lot of work, and may be worth losing some series for.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Imagine how salty they will be later today if English sporting hero (ignoring the fact nobody likes him) Lewis Hamilton wins the Grand Prix on one of the darkest days for Australian sport.
We have Ben Simmons so nobody will care if a guy from Monaco wins a race in a German car

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
To call any doubt over the Ashes is utterly moronic. Typical English sour grapes, get over yourselves.
Well let's be clear. It's true that Bancroft seems to have put sugar in his pocket during the Ashes, and I'm sure that in good time he'll come out with a perfectly good explanation of what he was up to and of how that fits with the Aussies' regard for the "Spirit of the Game". But no-one is suggesting that any ball tampering he may have done in that series changed the outcome of the series. Australia beat England convincingly and any cheating was peripheral.

So don't use faux indignation to try to distract yourself from the real issue here, which is the morality of the Australian cricket team, its captain and its "leadership group".

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

But it's hard to believe it's only a one-off.
Clearly wasn't given the footage of Bancroft putting sugar in his pocket during the ashes.

Would it have made a difference to the result? Probably not but even Mitchell Johnson was commenting on social media how he was surprised the ball was reversing so early when Australia were bowling.

All adds up and makes it look worse and also makes what was said by Smith about it being first time to be total utter bull manure.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Stop whining, your team was thoroughly outplayed.
It was. But you are continuing to try to divert yourself from the story here. Which is about the morality of the Australian team. This is the biggest blow to that since the Chappell brothers' sneak against NZ. Even worse in some respects. If I were you, I'd be curling up in embarrassment rather that trying to go on the counter-attack.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
This isn't about the English. You're still doing it aren't you? Do you think that some kind of vague counter-attack will rid you of the problem facing your team?
Not once did I ever say I agree or condone ball tampering, I am not happy at all that the Australian team. But I completely reject the notion that this affected the Ashes result in any way shape or form whatsoever.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not once did I ever say I agree or condone ball tampering, I am not happy at all that the Australian team. But I completely reject the notion that this affected the Ashes result in any way shape or form whatsoever.
Ok mate. I don't think anyone (or anyone rational) is suggesting that it affected the Ashes result. We got our arses well and truly handed to us. And as I say, any cheating by the Australians was peripheral.

Spikey

Yeah that’s actually a really great point. All the noise about ‘the line’ Is explained away by cultural misunderstanding, everyone else doesn’t get that the Aussies just play hard but fair, you’re all too sensitive, etc. This is crossing a line they themselves have made a huge deal about, one that other countries have probably taken more seriously about policing because of the uncompromising stance on it by the Aussies. No matter how dire the game or series looks, nope, we don’t resort to doing what all the others are doing all the time like the nasty little cheats they are. The hypocracy is incredibly damaging.
yeah it's awesome. i'm pretty happy this happened

i don't see how smith gets sacked. it's an 11 man team and the whole leadership group has been thrown under the bus. who you gotta appoint as captain, cameron white?