• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
From an Australian perspective, this is not even the biggest disappointment from this Test: I wanted to hear some "clever" sledges about Philander's twitter account being hacked.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fans rightfully feel betrayed.

I am an Indian cricket and Kohli fan, but if he was caught doing this, I would be disgusted. Wouldn't want him to captain for a couple of years
Knowing Kohli he'd have played the victim and tried to weasel his way out of it or blame it on the evil Australians or something.

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man

I am an Indian cricket and Kohli fan, but if he was caught doing this, I would be disgusted. Wouldn't want him to captain for a couple of years
Absolutely. Even the 12th man knew all of it which makes it worst kind of team planning rather than misconduct by an individual.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Knowing Kohli he'd have played the victim and tried to weasel his way out of it or blame it on the evil Australians or something.
Don't think he would do what Smith did, but if he did, I would call him a moron

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Childish jabs aside, I think the team needs to be punished appropriately but Smith should be in the side and or be captain. Let them be a caution to all when it comes to breaking the rules(though I don't think ball tampering should be illegal in the first place). Would be ridiculous to be over the top when they got caught making a mistake that most teams have also made at some point in time.

Honestly, I would be happy if the Australians just shut the **** up about playing hard but fair, crossing the line etc. We all knew the team was full of **** anyways.

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
If Kohli ever planned anything like this, no doubt he would have left captaincy forced by fans and media. Its the worst kind of shame bringing to nation.

Burgey

kohli’s face is more disgusting than any of this. Man should resign.

Burgey

If Kohli ever planned anything like this, no doubt he would have left captaincy forced by fans and media. Its the worst kind of shame bringing to nation.
You’re kidding aren’t you? India the greatest dummy spitters in world cricket. They get a ****** chai latte at the hotel and threaten to go home. Jog on.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
You’re kidding aren’t you? India the greatest dummy spitters in world cricket. They get a ****** chai latte at the hotel and threaten to go home. Jog on.
Lol. The Aussie cricket way. Fighting like 'battlers' to the end, even when they've f****d up monumentally.

No nuance, no sophistication. One trick ponies

Shri

Mr. Glass
Childish jabs aside, I think the team needs to be punished appropriately but Smith should be in the side and or be captain. Let them be a caution to all when it comes to breaking the rules(though I don't think ball tampering should be illegal in the first place). Would be ridiculous to be over the top when they got caught making a mistake that most teams have also made at some point in time.

Honestly, I would be happy if the Australians just shut the **** up about playing hard but fair, crossing the line etc. We all knew the team was full of **** anyways.
The only thing I hate about Smith in this whole thing is the fact that he's trying to throw Bancroft under the bus. Hate leaders like that. I was also vocal about Dhoni not protecting Sreesanth in press conferences before all the fixing allegations when reporters questioned his aggression antics.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant

Genuinely curious but why are you OK with ball tampering? If anything I think it's treated far too leniently.

Spark

Global Moderator
Genuinely curious but why are you OK with ball tampering? If anything I think it's treated far too leniently.
There's a big school of thought that says that the prohibition against ball tampering is just one of the many things which tilts the overall balance between bat and ball in the favour of the batsman.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah it's awesome. i'm pretty happy this happened

i don't see how smith gets sacked. it's an 11 man team and the whole leadership group has been thrown under the bus. who you gotta appoint as captain, cameron white?
Mitch Marsh. Part of Langers grand plan.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Watched test cricket in the mid 00s in India. A lot of tests were on dead tracks like Ahmedabad where tests often had 800 and 600 run innings. Outfields were lush too so there was no reverse and no turn either, along with no pace or bounce or seam off the pitch. Ball tampering would have been the only way to make the ball do anything and most sides didn't. On pitches like that at least, ball tampering should be legal.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
There's a big school of thought that says that the prohibition against ball tampering is just one of the many things which tilts the overall balance between bat and ball in the favour of the batsman.
Never thought about it that way tbh, and that's coming from someone who hates bigger bats and smaller boundaries and the bouncer rule and all the rest of it. I guess maybe because it's a law that's as old as cricket, wouldn't want to see tradition thrown out just to address the balance (would rather see the newer stuff go thats unbalanced it in the first place).