• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aw no, Watt0's retired (from Tests)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Always thought Aussie were beatable when they had someone as poor as Watson in their side. I suppose with their recent retirements they'll just about be a new side in the Smith Era. That's Harris, Clarke, Rogers and Watson all gone recently.
Also Haddin. Johnson won't be around for long either.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Kiwivik, what are the bookies making of this? Is Aussie's price climbing? Are NZ favourites for the test series at years' end?
Beats me. Just had a look on BetFair but couldn't find the series. I plan to gamble heavily on the series as I expect the markets will have Aussie as moderate favourites and that we'll beat them.

I noticed with the recent Ashes series Aussie were favourites for all but the 5th match (which they won, ironically).

I say moderate favourites because by reputation they should be heavy favourites but since we just looked better in England than they did that will come down slightly. Also with so many recent retirements there will be considerable uncertainty over how strong they will be. However, we can be certain (or near certain) that the Black Caps will be strong. Should be interesting.

Regarding uncertainty - we don't know how good Neville is, we don't know how good the Marshes are, we don't know how good Rogers' replacement will be, we don't know who will bat 5, Starc is unproven, Hazlewood unproven, Johnson is hit and miss, and even Steve Smith could be found out in this series. The only certainties appear to be that Warner will be excellent and Lyon mediocre.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yes, I too would bank on the bloke averaging over 55 having scored runs literally everywhere he's played suddenly being "found out" on home pitches.

adub

International Captain
When Hussey retired he anointed Lyon as the leader of the victory song.

Who will Watto anoint as the designated LB reviewer?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yes, I too would bank on the bloke averaging over 55 having scored runs literally everywhere he's played suddenly being "found out" on home pitches.
Yes but he's yet to play a Test against the worlds premier and best new ball attack.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Nah, I bank on McHesson to have done the analysis. I agree with Hurricane - Smith is a gimmick batsman.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Back on topic, Watson is undoubtedly the worst batsman to have played as many Tests as he did.

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
Think his underachieving test career took the gloss off his limited overs career,because he is an extremely good limited overs player,and still is as shown by that WC knock against Pakistan and some of his performances in the IPL this year.Also think he's one of the top 3 all rounders in t20 history (at the very least)

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Probably should have 5 runs knocked off his average for the fact that the loss of his wicket inevitably also meant the loss of a review.