• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's second best Test fast bowler

Who is Australia's second best Test fast bowler?

• Charlie Turner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Frederick Spofforth

• William Whitty

• Ryan Harris

• William Johnston

• Bruce Reid

• Josh Hazlewood

• John Ferris

• Total voters

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Anyways Lillee's huge percentage of home tests and very little in WI (not including WSC) and SC disqualify him from the top top tier. WPM is irrelevant since he wasn't tested enough for those stats to mean as much as other elite bowlers.

However you rate Ambrose as an away bowler, he simply was better tested and his other shortcomings in his record mean less against Lillee who has a huge hole.
I’d say Lillee’s extraordinary WPM would make up for being a little less tested than Ambrose. Ambrose didn’t exactly master any conditions foreign to Lillee, since pitches in WI were pretty pace conducive during the time of both. And Lillee faced good competition during his peak, better than Ambrose during his peak. However overall Ambrose faced better competition than Lillee, but not the level Marshall or others faces(and his WPM is convincingly below Marshall and McGrath who faced a lot of competition as bowlers), so there is a good gap between his and Lillee’s wicket taking ability(considering Lillee up till 70 tests, was resting at nearly at 5.5 WPM). But this is a very close thing, so I understand why’d you take Ambrose over Lillee in the top tier.

CricketFan90s

U19 Captain
He didn’t have more stamina. There was often 2-3 weeks between tests in Lillee’s time. By the time McGrath rolled around series were roughly
Not really 2-3 weeks was not the case in 1970s too just check the dates. Lillee also never had a Spinner like Warne to support him. Many times he used to bowl extra spells for the Team as they needed a Wicket at crucial time. Lillee(23) and Hadlee(24) bowled generally more overs per innings than most All Time Greats.

subshakerz

International Coach
I’d say Lillee’s extraordinary WPM would make up for being a little less tested than Ambrose. Ambrose didn’t exactly master any conditions foreign to Lillee, since pitches in WI were pretty pace conducive during the time of both. And Lillee faced good competition during his peak, better than Ambrose during his peak. However overall Ambrose faced better competition than Lillee, but not the level Marshall or others faces(and his WPM is convincingly below Marshall and McGrath who faced a lot of competition as bowlers), so there is a good gap between his and Lillee’s wicket taking ability(considering Lillee up till 70 tests, was resting at nearly at 5.5 WPM). But this is a very close thing, so I understand why’d you take Ambrose over Lillee in the top tier.
Lillee's WPM is like Ashwin's WPM, built on a couple of countries so you can't take it too seriously. Lillee just has a better reputation.

Ambrose was the best ever away bowler in Australia. His reasonable success in other countries and at home just makes his case more clear.

CricketFan90s

U19 Captain
Dennis Lillee Wickets Per Match 2.69, Glenn McGrath WPM 2.32. So Lillee had to take more responsibility than McGrath in his time as there was no Shane Warne.

subshakerz

International Coach
@subshakerz Time you realised the fact that this thread is about Australian fast bowlers. Comments about Ambrose are totally irrelevant. I acknowledge he (Ambrose) is an ATG but that has nothing to do with the topic. Both @Burgey and I have pointed this out but you and @Godard keep muddying the waters.
I didn't first bring up Ambrose. Was only responding to comments about Lillee's lack of SC success and then someone brought up Ambrose and we went from there.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Lillee's WPM is like Ashwin's WPM, built on a couple of countries so you can't take it too seriously. Lillee just has a better reputation.

Ambrose was the best ever away bowler in Australia. His reasonable success in other countries and at home just makes his case more clear.
Lillee is just behind Alderman and Murali as the best away bowler in Eng. Ambrose barely played in Pak or Sa or NZ. And wickets in WI were pace conducive at that time. And in Pak, where everyone took a truckload of wickets in that series, I don’t think it a great or even a good achievement for an ATG to come out with moderate success. I am not saying Lillee’s home away record is great, but Ambrose was tested more by a very small margin, while the adjusted WPM gap between both is atleast the same if not more. I understand your logic Subs, it’s just that for me very moderate success for one series in favourable conditions in SC or success on other pace conducive pitches doesn’t matter as much, as what is for me a sizeable difference in adjusted WPM. And this will be my last post about that on this thread.

Last edited:

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
@subshakerz Time you realised the fact that this thread is about Australian fast bowlers. Comments about Ambrose are totally irrelevant. I acknowledge he (Ambrose) is an ATG but that has nothing to do with the topic. Both @Burgey and I have pointed this out but you and @Godard keep muddying the waters.
Sure. But why’s everyone acting like this is the first thread on CW to deviate slightly from its topic?Worst I saw was Hobbs vs Hutton, which turned into Hutton vs Gavaskar.

subshakerz

International Coach
Lillee is just behind Alderman and Murali as the best away bowler in Eng. Ambrose barely played in Pak or Sa or NZ. And wickets in WI were pace conducive at that time. And in Pak, where everyone took a truckload of wickets in that series, I don’t think it a great or even a good achievement for an ATG to come out with moderate success. I am not saying Lillee’s home away record is great, but Ambrose was tested more by a very small margin, while the adjusted WPM gap between both is atleast the same if not more. I understand your logic Subs, it’s just that for me very moderate success for one series in favourable conditions in SC or success on other pace conducive pitches doesn’t matter as much, as what is for me a sizeable difference in adjusted WPM. And this will be my last post about that on this thread.
I get your logic too. Success across countries is the ultimate test for me.

I just think cricket is replete with other players who have unusually thrived in 1-2 conditions, like Ashwin,, but lack in others.

If Lillee didn't have his reputation, I wouldn't even put him in the top ten pacers based on his record.

Lillee's reputation is his biggest USP, no pacers was ever rated so ahead of the pack of his era.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
I get your logic too. Success across countries is the ultimate test for me.

I just think cricket is replete with other players who have unusually thrived in 1-2 conditions, like Ashwin,, but lack in others.

If Lillee didn't have his reputation, I wouldn't even put him in the top ten pacers based on his record.

Lillee's reputation is his biggest USP, no pacers was ever rated so ahead of the pack of his era.
Steyn?
Barnes?