• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's second best Test fast bowler

Who is Australia's second best Test fast bowler?

• Charlie Turner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Frederick Spofforth

• William Whitty

• Ryan Harris

• William Johnston

• Bruce Reid

• Josh Hazlewood

• John Ferris

• Total voters

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gone for Davo cause why not?

The fact Bill Whitty is on the list - and is called William - make me think Statsguru was involved.

Archer6K

U19 12th Man

The fact Bill Whitty is on the list - and is called William - make me think Statsguru was involved.
I wasn't sure whether to use player's names or their nicknames, I didn't use Statsguru, just went through player's Cricinfo pages

Starfighter

I wasn't sure whether to use player's names or their nicknames, I didn't use Statsguru, just went through player's Cricinfo pages
It's clearly done by raw averages though - they are even listed in Test average order.
Yh I made a point to list them on their Test average when I was creating the list
?

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Dennis Lillee , it's not just about ability that makes you great , impact on a generation..He was iconic in every way , inspired a whole generation to take up fast bowling, great headband as well..Never say die attitude, the best qualities of an Australian cricketer .

Starfighter

Dennis Lillee , it's not just about ability that makes you great , impact on a generation..He was iconic in every way , inspired a whole generation to take up fast bowling, great headband as well..Never say die attitude, the best qualities of an Australian cricketer .
That's recency bias. Lindwall inspired a whole generation of imitators if some of the actions going around Australia in the fifties are anything to go by.

Just because he had the advantage of far greater television exposure doesn't actually make him a better bowler. In actual fact it does come down to effectiveness on the field.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lindwall as an inspiration explains the late 50s chucking controversy then.

I think it’s Lillee but if people prefer Lindwall or Davo then it wouldn’t really be outrageous.

Lillee was ****ing awesome tbh. Can’t really recall an Aus cricketer other than Warne who captivated crowds here like he did. Never seen more compelling duels than him bowling to Viv. Even the mcg wasn’t big enough to hold the ego.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The top 3 are all broadly as good as each other so I've chucked my vote to the bloke who gets the least amount of love on here.