• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2022-23

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Sutherland batted at 8 last innings because of back soreness so him not bowling kinda makes sense, but why on earth have Murphy/short not bowled? Handscombs captaincy this game has been a bit lacklustre overall bar the legslip for Bancroft in the first dig. Team looked like they haven't cared since the first few overs of this 4th innings.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neser WTF. Didn't realise his season was THIS good. 40 wickets at 17 and as many runs as Sutherland.
And probably won’t be in the Ashes squad despite being perfectly suited for conditions

He’s playing for Glamorgan again so likely to be on standby

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Parra 1s, 3s and 4s all into their GFs next week. Massive year for the club with only 2s missing the finals, a Green Shield premiership and runners up in PGs.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
And probably won’t be in the Ashes squad despite being perfectly suited for conditions

He’s playing for Glamorgan again so likely to be on standby
Nah I reckon heyll get picked. Him and Boland should be rotated in like Siddle and Pattinson last time.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah I reckon heyll get picked. Him and Boland should be rotated in like Siddle and Pattinson last time.
What?

One, neither Boland nor Neser are remotely similar to Pattinson. Two, and most importantly, the rotation turned around to bite Australia in the arse at the Oval, Siddle playing that test instead of either Starc or Patt0 was an unmitigated disaster of a call, that combined with bowling first still absolutely infuriates me to this day

Not your fault, that game is just one that is still absolutely pisses me off in a major way to that day

Rant aside for now, Neser should definitely be at least in the wider squad. Goes well in those conditions as his county record suggests

social

Australia took Cummins, Starc, Haze, Boland, Morris & Green to India and I can’t see that changing for the Ashes barring injuries

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia took Cummins, Starc, Haze, Boland, Morris & Green to India and I can’t see that changing for the Ashes barring injuries
Why on earth would you not take neser who A)from all reports was the hardest Aussie quick to face in the nets last ashes in England, B) just took 40 wickets @17 in a shield season and C) is purpose built for English conditions and has 2 seasons of county experience with Glamorgan under his belt.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
What?

One, neither Boland nor Neser are remotely similar to Pattinson. Two, and most importantly, the rotation turned around to bite Australia in the arse at the Oval, Siddle playing that test instead of either Starc or Patt0 was an unmitigated disaster of a call, that combined with bowling first still absolutely infuriates me to this day

Not your fault, that game is just one that is still absolutely pisses me off in a major way to that day

Rant aside for now, Neser should definitely be at least in the wider squad. Goes well in those conditions as his county record suggests
Completely agree with you FYI, starc only playing one in the first four tests then not playing the fifth was weird, as was bringing marsh and Siddle back at the same time. More just saying that like last time AUS can afford to rotate their Quicks, which is a neseccity in a series with 5 tests so close together.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why on earth would you not take neser who A)from all reports was the hardest Aussie quick to face in the nets last ashes in England, B) just took 40 wickets @17 in a shield season and C) is purpose built for English conditions and has 2 seasons of county experience with Glamorgan under his belt.
Neser should be ahead of even Boland in England, let alone Morris.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Neser should be ahead of even Boland in England, let alone Morris.
If Carey is making runs I wouldn't mind seeing them give green a rest in the 4th /5th test and play neser at 7 instead honestly. Green has a ton of cricket either side of the ashes and nesers batting in the past few years has genuinely been #7 quality.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone else a bit concerned about our lack of batting depth in red ball? Where going into the ashes with the same group of 4 top #3 players who did terribly as out opening options and outside of green and head we don't really have any backup middle order bats. On overseas tours recently we've been forcing openers to bat at 5/6 or just taking Inglis+Mitch marsh as our only backup middle order bats.

Spark

Global Moderator
Anyone else a bit concerned about our lack of batting depth in red ball? Where going into the ashes with the same group of 4 top #3 players who did terribly as out opening options and outside of green and head we don't really have any backup middle order bats. On overseas tours recently we've been forcing openers to bat at 5/6 or just taking Inglis+Mitch marsh as our only backup middle order bats.
I think this is why there's a lot of hope around the new generation of 18-22 year old bats like Kellaway, Wyllie, and the rest of the most recent U19 WC cohort. Of the previous generation only really Head and Green (if you want to put him in that generation) have stood out before, obviously Pucovski should have made it too but for horrible luck (and technical deficiencies on his behalf).

social

I agree with you but don’t see them replacing Morris with Neser after selecting the former for India

Far more likely to pick Nes out of county cricket than select him in the initial tour party

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with you but don’t see them replacing Morris with Neser after selecting the former for India

Far more likely to pick Nes out of county cricket than select him in the initial tour party
Yeah it's a hard one isn't it. I'm interested to see how selectors approach handscomb coming into the England tour if he has a good county season given that hes in career best form and did well in India but also competing with head and green who I realistically don't see him displacing.

social

Yeah it's a hard one isn't it. I'm interested to see how selectors approach handscomb coming into the England tour if he has a good county season given that hes in career best form and did well in India but also competing with head and green who I realistically don't see him displacing.
Given that Warner appears to be a lock, it wouldn’t surprise me to see them give Handscomb the same treatment as Nes and go with something like

Warner
Uzi
Marnus
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Haze
Bancroft
Backup keeper (probably Inglis)
Boland
Murphy
Morris

That’s 16 & enough

Not what I would do btw

Starfighter

The selectors have shown a willingness to make conditions based selections before though, like ditching Starc and selecting Siddle for the 2019 Ashes. Neser's ability in those conditions will be very hard to ignore.