• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Offseason 2011

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't need to play against SA? So like, if we're trying to kill test cricket we're doing a bad job by willing playing tests!

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon that article is spot on actually, especially when referring to the review panel. They can't exactly change too much when the report won't be concluded until October!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
A bit overkill all this doomday talk.

I actually think Peter Forrest move is good sign. Teams like NSW and Victoria will have get rid of some more of fringe players that they can't fit into their smaller FC and OD squads. These players go on and play for other states and improve the depth of Shield cricket.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
A bit overkill all this doomday talk.

I actually think Peter Forrest move is good sign. Teams like NSW and Victoria will have get rid of some more of fringe players that they can't fit into their smaller FC and OD squads. These players go on and play for other states and improve the depth of Shield cricket.
Yeah, I think most people expected Forrest to change states. I can't see SA importing any interstate players this season. Darren Berry has openly said that he'll only look at hiring players who are fantastic or young players who have shown heaps of promise.

On the subject on Darren Berry, I think he is already doing a great job as coach. Has pointed out all the major problems with SA cricket and is implementing some strict strategies to combat them. He is making all state players attend grade training every thursday which I found quite interesting.

Berry also said that he doesn't think O'Brien should be playing FC cricket as the spinner. He also commented that he'll be looking to play Bailey and Lyon more, Cullen was also mentioned at one point.

Topcat will be pleased about O'Brien.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I think most people expected Forrest to change states. I can't see SA importing any interstate players this season. Darren Berry has openly said that he'll only look at hiring players who are fantastic or young players who have shown heaps of promise.

On the subject on Darren Berry, I think he is already doing a great job as coach. Has pointed out all the major problems with SA cricket and is implementing some strict strategies to combat them. He is making all state players attend grade training every thursday which I found quite interesting.

Berry also said that he doesn't think O'Brien should be playing FC cricket as the spinner. He also commented that he'll be looking to play Bailey and Lyon more, Cullen was also mentioned at one point.

Topcat will be pleased about O'Brien.
Agreed, Berry focussing on SA players rather than bringing in all the other states' rejects can't be a bad thing. Occasionally it works out (Dan Christian), but you don't want to be relying on them to build the basis of your team.

O'Brien was never a FC spinner. Good OD bowler to contain, but he's never going to get batsmen out in a 4-day game.

In the Tasmania article posted above, I was surprised to read that Rimmington might not be offered a new deal by Queensland, always rated him as a really good ODI bowler. A couple of years back I thought he could be pushing for Australian T20 selection.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Purists sound alarm on T20 | Cricket | Fox Sports
Big bash may effect players playing state cricket.
It's bound to affect players at state level. The money to the states has been cut by quite a lot and with CA wanting their big names to play at least a couple of games in the BBL, I can only assume that they will be wanting big appearance money from the franchises who don't have really deep pockets. I expect that as with most things, the eilte players will really benefit but many of the low-profile players may end up worse off, especially players who wind up being cut from state contracts completely.

I hope I'm wrong, but the way CA runs it's own business (at a big loss in the last couple of years) I can't see them getting this spot on.

brockley

International Captain
Caribbean Twenty20
The Board approved the Caribbean Twenty20 to be played in Trinidad (part preliminary round) and Barbados (part preliminary round, semi-final and final) from January 9th to 22nd
BBC cricket copyright.

Spikey

Agreed, Berry focussing on SA players rather than bringing in all the other states' rejects can't be a bad thing. Occasionally it works out (Dan Christian), but you don't want to be relying on them to build the basis of your team.

Meh. As G. Bailey put it you want the 66 best players playing, and if SA's team is made up of 11 imports but it's the best possible team what's the problem?

benchmark00

Meh. As G. Bailey put it you want the 66 best players playing, and if SA's team is made up of 11 imports but it's the best possible team what's the problem?
From a totally human resource point of view, it breeds disharmony.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's true, and you want the best players playing. The thing is that SA have just kept on seeing a gap and trying to find a replacement outside of the state year after year, so it leads to no cohesiveness. It's the way you go about it that determines it's success.