• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Cricket - New TV rights negotiations/deal

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Also, as obnoxious as I usually find Malcolm Conn I think he makes a pretty good point here.

One-day internationals in Oz have been mocked and derided by the Oz media for the past 15-20 years as boring and pointless; you'd be hard-pressed to find any coverage of the matches in the Oz media to take them even remotely seriously. And now they're gone from FTA the same people are supposedly outraged about it? Spare me.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can we turn back the clock and eliminate the last two months of Cricket Australia decision making. From doling out full year bans to our two best batsmen for a freaking slap-on-the-wrist level offence to this abomination of a deal, the sport I love has had the worst two months in its history.

Seriously Sutherland and Peever can get ****ed. I'm sick of their antics.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also, as obnoxious as I usually find Malcolm Conn I think he makes a pretty good point here.

One-day internationals in Oz have been mocked and derided by the Oz media for the past 15-20 years as boring and pointless; you'd be hard-pressed to find any coverage of the matches in the Oz media to take them even remotely seriously. And now they're gone from FTA the same people are supposedly outraged about it? Spare me.
I don't know, back in the early 2000s (and probably 90s as well) the old Tri-series was a pretty big deal, a bigger deal even than the Tests some seasons. Drew some pretty big crowds too.

Last 10 years I'd agree with you, they've been pretty pointless an boring

Can we turn back the clock and eliminate the last two months of Cricket Australia decision making. From doling out full year bans to our two best batsmen for a freaking slap-on-the-wrist level offence to this abomination of a deal, the sport I love has had the worst two months in its history.

Seriously Sutherland and Peever can get ****ed. I'm sick of their antics.
I hear Tennis can be exciting

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I don't know, back in the early 2000s (and probably 90s as well) the old Tri-series was a pretty big deal, a bigger deal even than the Tests some seasons. Drew some pretty big crowds too.
I think things began turning in Australia from the late 1990s (as reflected by the drop in crowds for MCG matches) when Test cricket was promoted more and gained wider appeal with the way Australia was playing it. I'd say from the early 2000s the negativity surrounding ODIs as being a pointless irritant after the Tests became a common view.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
As practical as it was, it probably changed a bit when the schedule was fixed to separate ODIs and Tests - when the ODIs were spread through the summer, they seemed to have more significance on the summer. Would a team get some confidence from the ODI win before the next Test? It provided a bit more context to the games in the overall summer.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The paywalling of cricket has led to better analysis and coverage for the die-hard, but the best advertisement for the game is the game itself. Your ability to generate narratives can be greatly altered by the lack of FTA coverage - look at the A-League.

It will be interesting to see if some of the sports writers start sniffing around what's come out from "old mate" - Craddock on SEN radio said that Channel Ten thought they had it, and has never heard such anger from TV executives after a rights deal.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

You mean ex-News Ltd Conn?

Might just further point to the idea that CA have been seduced by News Corp who desperately needed the content over summer.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The paywalling of cricket has led to better analysis and coverage for the die-hard, but the best advertisement for the game is the game itself. Your ability to generate narratives can be greatly altered by the lack of FTA coverage - look at the A-League.

It will be interesting to see if some of the sports writers start sniffing around what's come out from "old mate" - Craddock on SEN radio said that Channel Ten thought they had it, and has never heard such anger from TV executives after a rights deal.
Yeah I would otherwise find it puzzling to think that Ten didn't throw everything they have at it

They don't have much else

stephen

Makes me wonder how much the sandpaper incident was news ltd's way of saying "give us the rights or expect more of this" to CA.

The deal should have gone to 10. I hate c7, they're they worst station by far.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/ca-...rights-deal-agreement-subscription/2018-04-16

Australian Men and Women’s Test, ODI and T20 international cricket played at home will all be streamed by the Cricket Network, as well as on Foxtel platforms, but a Foxtel subscription will be necessary to view it.

Users will be able to access a live stream of every ball bowled in summer through the cricket.com.au website and Cricket Australia Live app, but matches that are also on TV can only be viewed with a Foxtel subscription.
The more that emerges, the more disappointed I am.

They've sold the farm to Foxtel.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The Australian Financial Review has reported Foxtel is planning to release a sports-only ********* service, available for a lower price than a standard subscription, in order to attract sports fans who currently do not have Foxtel.
This kind of interests me

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I just don't understand why CA were so obsessed with Fox. Haven't they seen what has happened in the UK?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The deal should have gone to 10. I hate c7, they're they worst station by far.
I don't particularly like 7 (apart from Mel McLaughlin and Bruce!!) but do you hate 7 for their sports coverage specifically or is the other rubbish like Sunrise a bigger reason?

I think they do a good job with sport* My main criticism is the way they go to their roaming reporters who are often in random locations, too frequently and we see the Megawall without the ability to press a button to actually jump between screens too often. The actual in game commentary is often good. I am confident that they'll get a good diverse group of commentators for the Cricket.

*I don't watch a huge amount of AFL and when I do, its on Fox Footy. I am thinking more the other events like Olympics, Tennis etc.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
This deal is going to hurt cricket in this country. Only getting the 5 tests and 43 Big Bash games on FTA is disastrous. ODI and t20 cricket is popular with the casual fans.

Myself, I will watch even less fta tv now. And I probably won't be getting Fox at the absurd prices they charge. I get Stan and Netflix for half the price of fox and I get a better service out of them.
This is something most cricket boards miss.

For the causal sports fan the competition for their attention isn't between one cricket product and another. It's not even between one sport or another. The casual fan just wants to sit down in front of their tv, and watch the most accessible thing that is also being watched by the most people. That's it. And if that's a show on Netflix, a UFC PPV, or FTA Cricket, they don't care.

By making cricket less accessible, you also make it less watched, and it's just a vicious downhill spiral as less and less casual fans bother to watch it.

Starfighter

morgieb

I don't particularly like 7 (apart from Mel McLaughlin and Bruce!!) but do you hate 7 for their sports coverage specifically or is the other rubbish like Sunrise a bigger reason?

I think they do a good job with sport* My main criticism is the way they go to their roaming reporters who are often in random locations, too frequently and we see the Megawall without the ability to press a button to actually jump between screens too often. The actual in game commentary is often good. I am confident that they'll get a good diverse group of commentators for the Cricket.

*I don't watch a huge amount of AFL and when I do, its on Fox Footy. I am thinking more the other events like Olympics, Tennis etc.
Your last point is key. Their AFL coverage is horrible, since Dennis left none of their main commentators are any good. Tennis isn't much better unless Courier or Leconte are commentating, full of ads and pimping of their other ****** programs.

Though commercial FTA TV in Australia tends to have horrible non-sports programming as a rule. ABC is much better but even then it was better back in the day.

stephen

I've always preferred 9s news programs to 7s. And I guess I've grown up on 9 sports with the football and the cricket.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
This is something most cricket boards miss.

For the causal sports fan the competition for their attention isn't between one cricket product and another. It's not even between one sport or another. The casual fan just wants to sit down in front of their tv, and watch the most accessible thing that is also being watched by the most people. That's it. And if that's a show on Netflix, a UFC PPV, or FTA Cricket, they don't care.

By making cricket less accessible, you also make it less watched, and it's just a vicious downhill spiral as less and less casual fans bother to watch it.
There will be cricket on every night of the week still

Burgey

Wait, are you guys saying the CA live pass won’t work for ODIs unless you have a Foxtel account?

These ****s are going to hear from me this morning.