• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Astounding Catch - Bevan Small 'assists' Michael Mason

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Basically, what happens is that Brad Wilson goes to hit a six off Tarun Nethula. The ball is sailing over the rope at long on. Small dives over the rope, catches the ball and before he hits the ground, he throws the ball back in field to Michael Mason. Mason has to dive to catch it, but takes it cleanly. Superb!

Grainy video of the catch

Bevin Small unbelievable catch assist HRV Cricket - YouTube

Pretty awful video that. On some of the further replays, it was obvious that Small was looking at Mason and was trying to find him with the throw. It wasn't just luck

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Not sure why this has its own thread.

Has happened several times in the last few years of Australian Domestic Cricket too. :)

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah, I've seen a number of catches where the fielder has thrown the ball high in the air as they've gone over the rope in order to come back in and take the rebound (Adam Voges for one). I've never seen a guy dive so far over the line and in the same move throw the ball back in and direct it to another player. I'd love to see more examples of that if there are any.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yeah, I've seen a number of catches where the fielder has thrown the ball high in the air as they've gone over the rope in order to come back in and take the rebound (Adam Voges for one). I've never seen a guy dive so far over the line and in the same move throw the ball back in and direct it to another player. I'd love to see more examples of that if there are any.
Same

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Great catch. Unusual how their has been such a high number of similar catches in recent years (this catch hard to beat IMO). Fielders are developing such a great awareness of body positioning, the number of outfield catches taken in Twenty20 must surely be attributable.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Wow. Normally fielding is a bit of a snoozefesr for for me (spot the Indian :ph34r:), but that is an astounding catch.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Then by all means post the videos of 'em.
Make me.

EDIT: A few from the IPL too.

If you're as big a fan as HDS (or if you're HDS) then a quick YouTube search reveals plenty.

EDIT (2): I mean GREAT CATCHZORS, YOU KIWIS R THA BEST :robot:

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Make me.

EDIT: A few from the IPL too.

If you're as big a fan as HDS (or if you're HDS) then a quick YouTube search reveals plenty.

EDIT (2): I mean GREAT CATCHZORS, YOU KIWIS R THA BEST :robot:
Pretty ironic comment tbh considering you're the one coming into the thread deriding its relevance.

Someone made a thread on a cricket forum about a catch. Hardly worth this performance.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This is far better than Voges' or any one that I can remember.

Voges didn't leap up way behind himself like Small did. Small was diving backwards so far there was no way he'd have been able to flick it up for himself. And he took it cleanly, then flicked it to a team mate who also had to dive (I know it wasn't tough but nonetheless). Incredible grab.

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah. I watch a lot of the Big Bash and its predecessors and I've never seen a catch like this on it. This isn't some kind of insular Kiwi thing here. Thought some other guys might be keen to see such a superb catch and most clearly are.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Did Nath not get that this was a fair catch with the Mason relay? Is he talking about just the "not give the guy six but he isn't out" catch that is fairly common in all T20 leagues?