• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asif, Aktar in Doping Charges

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Matt79 said:
Can I also say how disappointing and disgusting Imran and Miandad's comments about this have been. I mean sure, stick up for your team and country over Oval-gate, but to come out and criticise the PCB for: a) conducting drug tests, b) not timing those drug tests so they don't interfere with big tournaments like the CT, c) not sweeping the results under the carpet, and d) not having stopped this from happening earlier (though how they coulds give a, b and c is a mystery), shows that they have become jokes and need to pull their heads in because its them, not the PCB that's damaging Pakistan's image.
:( :mad2: :mad:
Are you for real? what those ppl have said is entirely different from what you have been claiming. No one said that the test shouldn't have been conducted or that they should have been swept under the carpet. Miandad's held PCB responsible for the doping fiasco coz he felt that PCB had spoilt its players and never diciplined them,which resulted in players behaving in awful manner every now and then.He said exactly the same thing when Younis Khan acted like a child while rejecting captaincy only to be rewarded the captaincy again rather then being punished.
Imran said that PCB should have made the news official before the start of the tour rather than when than when the tour had already started, he also felt that PCB should have conducted an inquiry into the doping case.

Asif Iqbal has also crticize PCB for not educating players which is resulting in players doing stupid stuff again and again.

No one criticize PCB for conducting the test or for not sweeping under the carpet, however they are abolutely right to criticize PCB for handling the cricket affair in Pakistan as the way its being run is nothing but a joke.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Cricket-Miandad, Nawaz slam board's handling of doping tests LAHORE, Pakistan, Oct 17 (AFP) Javed Miandad Tuesday said he was stunned by the drugs scandal. "I am shocked to hear about this, this is a huge blow to Pakistan cricket," he said. Miandad blamed a lack of discipline for the doping row. "I have been saying that all the ills of Pakistan cricket are due to lack of discipline “Players have been allowed to do what they like. Tell me when has the board ever taken strong action against any player for any indiscipline?” the stalwart of 124 Tests askedand this shows we have not recovered from the first-ever forfeit Test jolt, the ball-tampering allegations and the captaincy row," he said. Miandad said coach Bob Woolmer and the team's doctors should also be investigated "because players don't know what medicines they are taking". Sarfraz Nawaz agreed with Miandad. "These tests were initiated by the previous board led by Shaharyar Khan, so he and all other officials should also be taken to task," said Nawaz. "If Australia can ban Shane Warne then nobody is above the game and its rules, but both Asif and Akhtar should be given a full chance to clarify their position," he said

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
A bad board blames its players

A PCB official has told Cricinfo that the players are reponsible for this situation and were given a booklet explaining what is legal and what is illegal. This game of passing the buck is deplorable and offers a wonderful insight into why the PCB stumbles from one disaster to another.

Even the most highly educated individuals fail to absorb the majority of information delivered to them in seminars and booklets. Few people could tell you every ingredient in what they have eaten. Few patients have a good idea of the drugs they are being administered.

Asif and Shoaib might be utterly to blame but then again they might not and Shoaib has already protested his innocence.

This premature damnation from the PCB is embarrassing and it contrasts sharply with the message that Younis Khan and Bob Woolmer are sending out that the players, management, and administration must accept collective responsibility. The PCB should hold its tongue until it has got to the bottom of this sorry affair, an affair that has done much more damage to Pakistan cricket and the team's chances of winning the World Cup than the previous two disasters

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Courier Mail said today that Naved Ul-Hasan's (or however you spell his name) sample was also 'suspect'. Surely with 3 players coming back from injury, and 2 of them having positive samples and one suspect sample, a question has to be asked whether it was negligence from the Pakistan doctors or wheteher it actually was the 3 of them acting as drug cheats.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The precedent in relation to drugs in cricket was set by Warne, who, IMO was very lucky not to have received a longer sentence. If indeed the B samples come back positive, Asif & Akhtar should at least receive the now minimum ban of (correct me if i'm wrong please) two years. Assuming they did indeed take the drug/s, it shouldn't make a difference whether or not it actually "enhanced" their on field performance, or sped up their recovery from an injury. Both are scenarios that invole an activity that isn't natural, and that alone should be punishable.

Furthermore, whilst it is argued that what Warne took wasn't a performance enhancing drug, as scaly has pointed out, it is just as serious because of the fact that it is indeed a masking agent. Masking agents cannot be overlooked purely and simply because of the suspicious nature they carry.

Whatever the outcome, cricket is the big loser in all of it, and i hope it kick-starts a major crack-down on drugs, and a scheme to make players/team doctors/phsyios/trainers more aware of whats legal and whats not.

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
silentstriker said:
I do not believe the BCCI does any sort of testing by itself.
The entire Indian team were tested by the BCCI during the tour to NZ just prior to the 2003 World Cup. That is one instance I know of.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Fratboy said:
The entire Indian team were tested by the BCCI during the tour to NZ just prior to the 2003 World Cup. That is one instance I know of.
They don't have a program in place yet regardless of few instances of the Indian team having been tested.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Turbinator said:
haroon510 please change your avatar!! No no, I am just kidding, yea what can I say I was quite shocked and TBH (I'll be honest, unlike many of you Indian fans here) I was kind of delighted at the same time. I was sad because Asif is a great young cricketer with tremendous potential and has to go through this and Akhtar is also obviously a great bowler. Also, Asif doesn't look very educated to be able to deal with all this. But, however, I am kind of delighted too because if they get banned, as Indian fans and players, we won't have to worry about losing to are arch rivals anytime soon. However, if they are guilty then they don't deserve our pity. But if they are innocent, then I really do feel sad for them.

Good luck to all you Pakistanis, hope things get better soon. (I am NOT being sarcastic)

budy u never know
the way the pakistani team difeated Sir Lanka u never know that pakistan might defeat india too. it is unprodictable team and u know it. pakistan proved it that they are stil a strong side dispite all these conterversys.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Good win for Pak but seriously who cares, team without Asif and Shoaib will eventually be found out when we play the real cricket i.e. test cricket.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
Good win for Pak but seriously who cares, team without Asif and Shoaib will eventually be found out when we play the real cricket i.e. test cricket.
That's what they said after Wasim and Waqar's retirement. They will learn to win without Shoaib and Asif. Pakistan beat India 4-2 in the ODI series in India without Asif and Shoaib in the team and lost the ODI series at home with Asif in the team.

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
That's what they said after Wasim and Waqar's retirement. They will learn to win without Shoaib and Asif. Pakistan beat India 4-2 in the ODI series in India without Asif and Shoaib in the team and lost the ODI series at home with Asif in the team.
They might win certain series but they won't be the same team, especially in tests. An attack of Akhtar-Asif-Naved-Kaneria with Gul as reserve is world-class without doubt. You can't say that about an attack of Naved-Gul-Nazir-Kaneria.

Xuhaib

International Coach
shortpitched713 said:
That's true, but throw Shabbir in the mix, and its still more than a handful for most teams.
Shabbir will never be able to play international cricket at a stretch, out of the current lot only Gul looks capable of performing at th test match leval maybe its time to take a gamble and fasttrack the U-19 sensations into international cricket.

adharcric

International Coach
shortpitched713 said:
That's true, but throw Shabbir in the mix, and its still more than a handful for most teams.
Don't count on Shabbir. He's already been banned and even if he returns, who knows how effective he'll be after such a long layoff. He's also approaching 31.

adharcric

International Coach
Xuhaib said:
Shabbir will never be able to play international cricket at a stretch, out of the current lot only Gul looks capable of performing at th test match leval maybe its time to take a gamble and fasttrack the U-19 sensations into international cricket.
They probably shouldn't be fast-tracked into international cricket just yet, but not seeing them in Pakistan A sides is absolutely appalling.

Xuhaib

International Coach
adharcric said:
They probably shouldn't be fast-tracked into international cricket just yet, but not seeing them in Pakistan A sides is absolutely appalling.
The selection process in Pakistan is so poor excellent bowlers lik Abdur Rauf and Najaf Shah with proven first clas records are neglected and they keep on giving chances to ordinary bowlers like Mohd Khalil.