• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asif, Aktar in Doping Charges

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Xuhaib said:
Pakistan was cleared of the ball tampering charges how can you say Pakistan has a recent history of cheating.
Look at the events of the last 10-15 years, Pakistan have clearly been caught cheating far more than any other team despite the ICC fudging the last ball tampering case.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Jono said:
I'm so shattered. Really, can't imagine what Pakistani fans are feeling now. These were my two favourite bowlers to watch.
Absolute shock and horror among the Pak cricket circles its like our 9/11 in sporting terms.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
AGHH. This is so, as Jono put it, shattering. Pakistan cricket was going on so well till 2 months ago... :(

Last edited:

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Big news.. Pakistan cricket going downhill with alot of distractions, for the sake of cricket i hope it goes well..

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slats4ever said:
sorry but i thought pakistan cricket was in a mess
2 months ago before Hairgate happened, it wasn't. I will add 2 months in my statement though. :sleep:

Xuhaib

International Coach
There are some unconfirmed repots that Younis Khan has also tested positive and he may be also on his way out:shock:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Xuhaib said:
Absolute shock and horror among the Pak cricket circles its like our 9/11 in sporting terms.
Could`ve picked a better analagy for mine.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
I wasnt shocked to see that culprits were from Pakistan.

I am wondering how long do a performance enhancing drug cheat get put of the game for?

Scaly piscine

_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:

I am wondering how long do a performance enhancing drug cheat get put of the game for?
Not long enough if they're Australian... still it was worth it because he dropped the Ashes.

Should be a minimum 2 years in my opinion.

social

_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:

2 years for first offence

R_D

International Debutant
_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:

Like Whiny piscine said.. if you're an aussie less than the minimum but otherwise minimum 2 years.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Scaly piscine said:
Not long enough if they're Australian... still it was worth it because he dropped the Ashes.

Should be a minimum 2 years in my opinion.

I felt Warne should have been banned for two years. Ditto with Asif + Akhtar. If they are found guilty, thats what it should be.

Asif is very young so his career will be fine, but this might very well be the end for Akhtar.

social

R_D said:
Like Whiny piscine said.. if you're an aussie less than the minimum but otherwise minimum 2 years.
Difference is that when Warne was "caught", it did not come under the provisions of world-wide anti-doping provisions - I think they've now been brought into alignment.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This is terrible terrible news. I feel for Pakistani fans. Champions Trophy 2006 has suffered a big blow too.

In a news conference I Bob Woolmer confirmed that it was he who advised Pakistan board to go ahead with their own 'internal' testing before ICC started their random testing before the World Cup. He also clarified that it would have been much worse if this had been discovered in the ICC conducted tests. He does have a point here.

It has also been confirmed that Shoaib and Asif were whisked away to Delhi by road avoiding all contacts with journalists and should be on/about to board a flight going home. The fact that Pakistan decided to recall them before the B sample results (expected tomorrow) shows that either the quantum on nandranol is too high for them to allow for any reasonable "other" explanation or they want to show ICC and the world that Pakistan takes 'unlawful' behaviour by its players, howsoever big, very seriously indeed.

One could be a bit uncharitable and say that had "Oval" and the resultant bad publicity not happened, Pakistan may have taken a softer stance but that would be unfair. Pakistan have to be lauded for the prompt action (though the report was recieved more than two days ago from the Malaysian lab) and one hopes that if and when there is confirmation from the B test the punishment will be exemplary. Pakistani cricket needs this catharasis (howsoever painful) and so does world cricket.

social

silentstriker said:
I felt Warne should have been banned for two years. Ditto with Asif + Akhtar. If they are found guilty, thats what it should be.

Asif is very young so his career will be fine, but this might very well be the end for Akhtar.
In the interests of fairness, IF (and it's a big "if" at this stage) they are guilty, then it should be the same suspension as Warne.

Surely missing the Champions Trophy AND the World Cup And being subject to public humiliation is more than punishment enough.

IMO, we shouldnt potentially end someone's career over a first offence

social

SJS said:
This is terrible terrible news. I feel for Pakistani fans. Champions Trophy 2006 has suffered a big blow too.

In a news conference I Bob Woolmer confirmed that it was he who advised Pakistan board to go ahead with their own 'internal' testing before ICC started their random testing before the World Cup. He also clarified that it would have been much worse if this had been discovered in the ICC conducted tests. He does have a point here.

It has also been confirmed that Shoaib and Asif were whisked away to Delhi by road avoiding all contacts with journalists and should be on/about to board a flight going home. The fact that Pakistan decided to recall them before the B sample results (expected tomorrow) shows that either the quantum on nandranol is too high for them to allow for any reasonable "other" explanation or they want to show ICC and the world that Pakistan takes 'unlawful' behaviour by its players, howsoever big, very seriously indeed.

One could be a bit uncharitable and say that had "Oval" and the resultant bad publicity not happened, Pakistan may have taken a softer stance but that would be unfair. Pakistan have to be lauded for the prompt action (though the report was recieved more than two days ago from the Malaysian lab) and one hopes that if and when there is confirmation from the B test the punishment will be exemplary. Pakistani cricket needs this catharasis (howsoever painful) and so does world cricket.
I agree.

To date, Pakistan should be applauded for their actions and their stocks have risen in my eyes.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
I heard on the radio that they were not definatly not 'recreational drugs' that they were tested positive for. Still how does any drug enhance your cricketing abilities?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Gloucefan said:
I heard on the radio that they were not definatly not 'recreational drugs' that they were tested positive for. Still how does any drug enhance your cricketing abilities?
Drugs dont inhance your 'cricketing abilities' they do things to you physically. These are steroids. Everyone knows what steroids are used by athletes for.

If they enhanced cricketing skils track athletes and weight lifters wouldnt have anyuse for them :D