• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashwin - The ATG Spinner

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Pele once rated El Hadji Diouf as one of the top 100 footballers he’s ever seen. The astounding ability of top sports players to talk absolute **** is actually quite staggering.
I don’t know enough about soccer to even know who El Hadji Diouf is tbh, wish I could corroborate.

bagapath

International Captain
Pele once rated El Hadji Diouf as one of the top 100 footballers he’s ever seen. The astounding ability of top sports players to talk absolute **** is actually quite staggering.
talking absolute **** is not a trait limited to top sportsmen/women. anyone is capable of talking ****. so using one sportsman talking **** as a proof that another sporting great's opinion is also **** is not sound logic.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
talking absolute **** is not a trait limited to top sportsmen/women. anyone is capable of talking ****. so using one sportsman talking **** as a proof that another sporting great's opinion is also **** is not sound logic.
When it’s some random that no one else really rated that highly, it probably is ****

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Regarding India's splendid record at home, this doesn't make Ashwin an ATG as their victories have been reliant on a number of team members rather than one individual.
Some two years back we conducted a CW survey to rank spinners.
The results were:
1. Muttiah Muralitharan
2. Shane Warne
3. Bill O'Reilly
4. Jim Laker
5. Clarrie Grimmett
6. Hedley Verity
7. Hugh Tayfield
8. Anil Kumble
9. Derek Underwood
10. Lance Gibbs
11. Ravichandran Ashwin
12. Richie Benaud
13. Rangana Herath
14. Bhagwath Chandrasekhar
15. Bishen Bedi
16. Nathan Lyon
17. Saqlain Mushtaq
18. Graeme Swann
19. Ravindra Jadeja
20. Subhash Gupte
21. Hugh Trumble
22. Wilfred Rhodes
23. Colin Blythe
24. Johnny Wardle
25. Sonny Ramadhin
26. Erapally Prasanna
27. Stuart MacGill
28. Harbhajan Singh
29. Keshav Maharaj
30. Bert Ironmonger

Since that poll I would suggest both Ashwin and Lyon (and Jadeja) would have moved up a few spots but, in my opinion, neither would challenge the top 5 or 6.

As a matter of interest, how many ATGs would members see as reasonable in each category. Given most teams field just one spinner in most circumstances while having 2 opening bats and 3 quicks it would seem that ATG greats in each category should be in some sort of ratio. e.g. If we felt there have been 6 ATG spinners then perhaps we might expect 12 ATG openers and 18 ATG quicks. Such numbers wouldn't be acceptable.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He'll be an ATG in the eyes of lots of Indian fans, no doubt. But I daresay he won't really be much remembered by most others. Certainly not in the same breath as bowlers like Warne, Murali and Kumble anyway.

Shri

Mr. Glass
He'll be an ATG in the eyes of lots of Indian fans, no doubt. But I daresay he won't really be much remembered by most others. Certainly not in the same breath as bowlers like Warne, Murali and Kumble anyway.
yeah so similar to clouderson in a lot of ways except ash is a decent human being

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am not sure about Kumble. I definitely see Ash being considered and name dropped before Kumble when discussing great spinners in the future. I dont think anyone argues he is in the Murali-Warne class though.

Socerer 01

International Captain
I am not sure about Kumble. I definitely see Ash being considered and name dropped before Kumble when discussing great spinners in the future. I dont think anyone argues he is in the Murali-Warne class though.
the fact that Kumble’s name is being mentioned almost every time now only when discussing about Ashwin shows who’s going to be considered better in the future

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah that's fair enough. Tbh I am probably just biased in favour of Kumble because he was prominent at a time when I watched India more regularly.

ma1978

International 12th Man
I suspect Steve Smith will remember Ashwin.

And I’m sorry any spin bowler with 500+ wickets at 24 and 3000 runs / r centuries who was the MVP of one of say, the six or seven most successful teams of all time is an ATG in the Indian context and elsewhere.

Spark

Global Moderator
Pele is notorious for having utterly bizarre opinions and public pronouncements on modern players iirc, I don't think he's a good representative of how the average elite sportsman views their peers.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Pele is notorious for having utterly bizarre opinions and public pronouncements on modern players iirc, I don't think he's a good representative of how the average elite sportsman views their peers.
Some NBA players I’ve seen definitely have some…interesting views.

Regarding India's splendid record at home, this doesn't make Ashwin an ATG as their victories have been reliant on a number of team members rather than one individual.
Some two years back we conducted a CW survey to rank spinners.
The results were:
1. Muttiah Muralitharan
2. Shane Warne
3. Bill O'Reilly
4. Jim Laker
5. Clarrie Grimmett
6. Hedley Verity
7. Hugh Tayfield
8. Anil Kumble
9. Derek Underwood
10. Lance Gibbs
11. Ravichandran Ashwin
12. Richie Benaud
13. Rangana Herath
14. Bhagwath Chandrasekhar
15. Bishen Bedi
16. Nathan Lyon
17. Saqlain Mushtaq
18. Graeme Swann
19. Ravindra Jadeja
20. Subhash Gupte
21. Hugh Trumble
22. Wilfred Rhodes
23. Colin Blythe
24. Johnny Wardle
25. Sonny Ramadhin
26. Erapally Prasanna
27. Stuart MacGill
28. Harbhajan Singh
29. Keshav Maharaj
30. Bert Ironmonger

Since that poll I would suggest both Ashwin and Lyon (and Jadeja) would have moved up a few spots but, in my opinion, neither would challenge the top 5 or 6.

As a matter of interest, how many ATGs would members see as reasonable in each category. Given most teams field just one spinner in most circumstances while having 2 opening bats and 3 quicks it would seem that ATG greats in each category should be in some sort of ratio. e.g. If we felt there have been 6 ATG spinners then perhaps we might expect 12 ATG openers and 18 ATG quicks. Such numbers wouldn't be acceptable.
Maharaj isn’t really a name that comes to mind when one thinks of great spinners

@subshakerz your speciality