• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashwin - The ATG Spinner

subshakerz

International Coach
He'll be an ATG in the eyes of lots of Indian fans, no doubt. But I daresay he won't really be much remembered by most others. Certainly not in the same breath as bowlers like Warne, Murali and Kumble anyway.
They hate me when I say the same.

subshakerz

International Coach
I suspect Steve Smith will remember Ashwin.

And I’m sorry any spin bowler with 500+ wickets at 24 and 3000 runs / r centuries who was the MVP of one of say, the six or seven most successful teams of all time is an ATG in the Indian context and elsewhere.
Not an ATG spinner anymore than Anderson being an ATG pacers.

subshakerz

International Coach
Since that poll I would suggest both Ashwin and Lyon (and Jadeja) would have moved up a few spots but, in my opinion, neither would challenge the top 5 or 6.

The problem is that Lyon has improved his performance globally since this poll in 2022 with matches won across the globe, whereas Ashwin has pretty much done the same, feasting on home mostly. I don't see any case to improve his standing.

As a matter of interest, how many ATGs would members see as reasonable in each category. Given most teams field just one spinner in most circumstances while having 2 opening bats and 3 quicks it would seem that ATG greats in each category should be in some sort of ratio. e.g. If we felt there have been 6 ATG spinners then perhaps we might expect 12 ATG openers and 18 ATG quicks. Such numbers wouldn't be acceptable.
Four, max five spinners who are ATG, tops. Those claiming Ashwin should spell out how many ATGs are in spin category.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I'm not sure there's that much in it. Kumble was pretty phenomenal for us in a time when most batsmen knew which end of the stick to hold against spin (no DRS too so could pad up with impunity). The 3-point difference in their averages at home is a fair reflection of this IMO.