• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Predictions Thread

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Was there any evidence that those Hartlepool fans were caused H., A. or D. by your behaviour? I'd have thought the prosecution might have struggled to prove that.

Did you plead guilty?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Dunno. The duty solicitor dude said they wanted to fine me and that my best bet was to accept it, I could contest it in court but it would probably have cost me more going all the way back to Hartlepool etc.

At the time I remember I had a new mobile with x amount of free txts a month, but I also had 3p txts on another one, so i'd carry them both about as I am a cheap ass and it was cheaper to use the 3p txts once the free ones had ran out. When I got to the station and had to empty my pockets, they were well suspicious of me, as obviously, two phones=drug dealer.

Then they walked me back to the ground at full-time, met my mates. We went the shop, picked up some booze for the ride home. Then the driver lost his car keys. Awesome. Oh and we lost 2-0.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was there any evidence that those Hartlepool fans were caused H., A. or D. by your behaviour? I'd have thought the prosecution might have struggled to prove that.

Did you plead guilty?
I just accepted the fine and moved on tbh. Was a source of great amusement in the pub I worked in. "How much was your hartlepool ticket Mart, £98?"

Thinking about it, I obviously didn't cause any of those things given that they were all sitting their giving me the Vs, they hardly seemed peturbed by my flciking of the fingers and kissing of the badge. Still. Such is life.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Did you plead guilty?
More likely the cozzers were the "victims"

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I would have thought so.

My only concern is that Brett Lee may have worked out in the interim that bowling an endless stream of wide half-volleys is a bad idea at Test level.

Jimmy Padams

Cricket Spectator
Series Result: 2-1 to England
Top Eng Runscorer: Pietersen
Top Aus Runscorer: Katich
Top Eng Wicket-taker: Anderson
Top Aus Wicket-taker: Johnson
Player of the Series: Pietersen
Surprise Packet: Swann
Dropped Player(s): Broad
Miscellaneous Event: The irony-meter to burst as Ponting criticising unsporting behaviour from the English

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can tell you that when Clarke went, I thought, "that's it, the win, **** yes!" yeah. I wasn't watching, I was on a minibus on the way back from Swansea. And I thought, that's the win, we've done it, we've done it.

Which means, regardless of what happened afterwards, Harmy took the key wicket. He was the one who took the wicket that meant the match was won, IMO. It was Harmison who got Clarke out and that was the key wicket, but yes, what happened afterwards made it even more vital.

I was awarded £75 once, and I was made up. But just a couple of weeks later I was fined £80, and thought to myself, jeez, but for that £75 I'd have really been in the **** this month. Getting fined that £80 made the £75 I had been awarded more important. Things often become more important than they seemed at the time, and Harmison's wicket of Clarke is one of them.
I have no doubt I could come-up with a similar metaphor illustrating the reverse. I'll tell you what I thought when Clarke's wicket fell - I thought "well that's another one on the way". The game was in the bag barring a miracle before and after Clarke's wicket.

There is no way that wicket will ever be a key one AFAIC. And no, that has nothing to do with the fact that Harmison took it - although if, say, Hoggard had got it it's unlikely I'd ever even have posted about it once, because no-one would ever talk much about it.

pasag

RTDAS
Series Result: Aus 2-1
Top Eng Runscorer: Bopara
Top Aus Runscorer: Clarke
Top Aus Wicket-taker: Johnson
Player of the Series: Clarke
Surprise Packet: Anderson (for general Australians who haven't seen him since 06/07)
Dropped Player(s): Hauritz
Miscellaneous Event: England will pass 500 twice.

Changing this to Clarke, looks far and away the best player on tour so far.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
England will dominate the 1st Test and it'll look like the only result possible is England winning, but somehow they'll find a way of drawing it. Australia will then dominate the rest of the series, apart from the last Test, which will be a deadrubber that England win and that victory will make the poms think that they'll win the next Ashes series, despite the fact that they'll only win because of several dubious umpiring decisions and Australia's lack of desire because of the match being a deadrubber.

Result: Australia wins, England loses...

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
England will dominate the 1st Test and it'll look like the only result possible is England winning, but somehow they'll find a way of drawing it. Australia will then dominate the rest of the series, apart from the last Test, which will be a deadrubber that England win and that victory will make the poms think that they'll win the next Ashes series, despite the fact that they'll only win because of several dubious umpiring decisions and Australia's lack of desire because of the match being a deadrubber.

Result: Australia wins, England loses...
That makes sense, but I think it will be Australia all the way to match the previous 5-0 drubbing they handed out in the last series in Australia. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Series Result: 3-1 Australia
Top Eng Runscorer: Bopara
Top Aus Runscorer: Clarke
Top Aus Wicket-taker: Lee
Player of the Series: Clarke
Surprise Packet: Lee (still plenty of people who think he'll be not so hot)
Dropped Player(s): Hauritz, Clark, Panesar, Cook
Miscellaneous Event: KP will get out at least twice to either of Hauritz/North