• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes 2021

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting that you consider a single sentence, tongue in cheek dig to be a "spiel".
"Spiel" means "game" in German, which is where the English word came from. It's always confused me that the English meaning for "spiel" is "long rant".

This has no real relevance to the conversation but it bothers me and I had to share it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I suppose contextually they could have used it more to refer to things like "smokes and screens" and fillibustering etc. Hence, the English usage, perhaps.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Think about that phrase, 'the finer things in life.' What it implies is that those who don't indulge in luxuries are coarse, unrefined people. What a generous attitude! Of course, no one would choose to not indulge in such things unless they were on a lower plane of development, right? And it definitely is a matter of choice and not necessity, isn't it?
How does it imply that those who don't indulge in those luxuries are "coarse, unrefined people"?

Like, if I can simply appreciate one steak or one beer or one particular wine being better than another of its kind, i'm automatically implying that others are coarse and unrefined? My ability to choose consumption based on personal preferences is somehow belittling an underclass?

As for your next bit about choice, you've just gone full straw man.

What a ridiculous take.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
It's only a ridiculous take should you not stop to think about the meanings of the words in the phrase you are employing, and what they may imply. I'm sure you can figure that out, even should you not agree yourself.

My ability to choose consumption based on personal preferences is somehow belittling an underclass?
No. One's description of it may be, however, or may have such a shade to it. You have misconstrued what I was saying.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look, let's clear this up once and for all.

I don't need to assert my superiority by looking down on people who travel economy - my superiority is self-evident to anyone who reads my posts or who has had the pleasure of spending time in my company. It's obvious you'd prefer to travel first (or even as low as business) if you have the choice. It gives you the benefit of arriving feeling human, and also affords access to the better airline lounges and the opportunity to post envy-worthy things to social media. These are crucial matters.

There's a reason it's called business class - you arrive ready to do business because you have the benefit of the extra room, edible food, better grog etc etc.

Now, I have had the displeasure of doing long haul flights in economy and yes, you can in fact cope with it. I used to like an aisle seat because leg room, but on reflection, if you have some seating where you don't have to climb over people to take a ****, I'd grab the window and use the bulkhead to get a better sleep. I realize now that not doing this on a number of trips was one of the four errors I have made in my life.

If you're going to do it, you need to have a day when you arrive doing basically sfa to get the jet lag out of the system, especially so I've found if you're traveling west to east (Europe-Aus). If you're coming here on a trip where you want to hit the ground running, then I would absolutely do Business or PE if you can afford it. If not, then either factor in a day or two of bumming around before getting properly into doing ****, because the jet lag is genuinely a ****load worse traveling this way than it is back to Europe. I'd also grab a Singapore A380 seat, as they have more room in them than say Qantas or BA. Emirates good as well.

TheJediBrah

"Spiel" means "game" in German, which is where the English word came from. It's always confused me that the English meaning for "spiel" is "long rant".

This has no real relevance to the conversation but it bothers me and I had to share it.
Ok. Spiel also refers to "performance" auf Deutsch. Hence it's use in English to portray an extended sales pitch or "long rant" as you put it

Daemon

Look, let's clear this up once and for all.

I don't need to assert my superiority by looking down on people who travel economy - my superiority is self-evident to anyone who reads my posts or who has had the pleasure of spending time in my company. It's obvious you'd prefer to travel first (or even as low as business) if you have the choice. It gives you the benefit of arriving feeling human, and also affords access to the better airline lounges and the opportunity to post envy-worthy things to social media. These are crucial matters.

There's a reason it's called business class - you arrive ready to do business because you have the benefit of the extra room, edible food, better grog etc etc.

Now, I have had the displeasure of doing long haul flights in economy and yes, you can in fact cope with it. I used to like an aisle seat because leg room, but on reflection, if you have some seating where you don't have to climb over people to take a ****, I'd grab the window and use the bulkhead to get a better sleep. I realize now that not doing this on a number of trips was one of the four errors I have made in my life.

If you're going to do it, you need to have a day when you arrive doing basically sfa to get the jet lag out of the system, especially so I've found if you're traveling west to east (Europe-Aus). If you're coming here on a trip where you want to hit the ground running, then I would absolutely do Business or PE if you can afford it. If not, then either factor in a day or two of bumming around before getting properly into doing ****, because the jet lag is genuinely a ****load worse traveling this way than it is back to Europe. I'd also grab a Singapore A380 seat, as they have more room in them than say Qantas or BA. Emirates good as well.
What a spiel

stephen

Ok. Spiel also refers to "performance" auf Deutsch. Hence it's use in English to portray an extended sales pitch or "long rant" as you put it
Germany being the centre of the board game world impacts my perceptions of the term in German. The Spiel de Jahres (game of the year) is the biggest award in the hobby.

grecian

This thread really shouldn't be wasted on this parochial crap, it should be wasted on the parochial crap about how many Somerset players will be playing.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Hahah what a thread......classic Burgey play. Love it :laugh:

Can't believe a guy asks on a cricket forum whether or not to travel to Aus economy or business.........here's a clue mate, check your ****ing bank account.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, although venues and dates aren't yet locked in.....does the OP realise that he's most likely looking at the 2nd and 5th tests of the series? Unusual plan tstl.